Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Seeking answers about 64-bit Windows XP vs 64-bit Vista.

Reply
Thread Tools

Seeking answers about 64-bit Windows XP vs 64-bit Vista.

 
 
RMZ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2007
I recently purchased a AMD 64 Turion x2 based notebook PC with Windows
XP Media Center Edition installed. My assumption is since Windows XP
MCE is not 64-bit that I'm not able to tap into the power of the
processors. I'm looking at Windows XP 64-bit edition and I don't want
to install it because I'm hearing conflicting information about
performance of 32-bit apps on 64-bit Windows, and at this point there
are only a handful of 64-bit apps.

I'm wondering if Windows Vista will support 64-bit processors on all
versions and if Windows Vista will have better support for 32-bit
Windows applications. Is it too early to ask these questions?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Aaron Kelley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2007
Windows Vista *does* support 64-bit processors. There are 32-bit and 64-bit
versions of every edition except Vista starter.

The 32-bit application support hasn't changed much. However, I've been
running 64-bit Windows for quite a while and never had a problem with 32-bit
apps performing badly, and I imagine a lot of other people here will tell
you the same.

This is probably a good read for you. A lot of the issues still apply to
Vista 64.
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc

- Aaron

"RMZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I recently purchased a AMD 64 Turion x2 based notebook PC with Windows
> XP Media Center Edition installed. My assumption is since Windows XP
> MCE is not 64-bit that I'm not able to tap into the power of the
> processors. I'm looking at Windows XP 64-bit edition and I don't want
> to install it because I'm hearing conflicting information about
> performance of 32-bit apps on 64-bit Windows, and at this point there
> are only a handful of 64-bit apps.
>
> I'm wondering if Windows Vista will support 64-bit processors on all
> versions and if Windows Vista will have better support for 32-bit
> Windows applications. Is it too early to ask these questions?
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Barnes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2007
I'll confirm what is said, but add that some 32-bit programs won't install
or run on 64-bit and no 16-bit will.

"Aaron Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Windows Vista *does* support 64-bit processors. There are 32-bit and
> 64-bit versions of every edition except Vista starter.
>
> The 32-bit application support hasn't changed much. However, I've been
> running 64-bit Windows for quite a while and never had a problem with
> 32-bit apps performing badly, and I imagine a lot of other people here
> will tell you the same.
>
> This is probably a good read for you. A lot of the issues still apply to
> Vista 64.
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
>
> - Aaron
>
> "RMZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>I recently purchased a AMD 64 Turion x2 based notebook PC with Windows
>> XP Media Center Edition installed. My assumption is since Windows XP
>> MCE is not 64-bit that I'm not able to tap into the power of the
>> processors. I'm looking at Windows XP 64-bit edition and I don't want
>> to install it because I'm hearing conflicting information about
>> performance of 32-bit apps on 64-bit Windows, and at this point there
>> are only a handful of 64-bit apps.
>>
>> I'm wondering if Windows Vista will support 64-bit processors on all
>> versions and if Windows Vista will have better support for 32-bit
>> Windows applications. Is it too early to ask these questions?
>>

>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Colin Barnhorst
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2007
Your assumption is incorrect. All editions of Windows XP, including MCE,
can leverage a multicore processor. XP Home and XP MCE can only use one
physical cpu (socket) but that cpu can have multiple cores (logical
processors). The same is true of Vista Home Basic and Premium.

The bitness of the OS does not matter. x86 and x64 are the same.

XP Pro SP2 and XP Pro x64 can support two sockets and those cpu's can be
multicore. The same is true of Vista Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate.

"RMZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I recently purchased a AMD 64 Turion x2 based notebook PC with Windows
> XP Media Center Edition installed. My assumption is since Windows XP
> MCE is not 64-bit that I'm not able to tap into the power of the
> processors. I'm looking at Windows XP 64-bit edition and I don't want
> to install it because I'm hearing conflicting information about
> performance of 32-bit apps on 64-bit Windows, and at this point there
> are only a handful of 64-bit apps.
>
> I'm wondering if Windows Vista will support 64-bit processors on all
> versions and if Windows Vista will have better support for 32-bit
> Windows applications. Is it too early to ask these questions?
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
RMZ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2007
Thanks Aaron,

I don't understand why the vendors (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc...) don't
ship Windows XP Pro 64-bit edition on all AMD 64 Turion on Turion x2
notebooks. Does anyone know why this is? Aren't there significant
performance advantages to having a 64-bit OS for these processors?

The system I purchased came with an upgrade option for Windows Vista
Home Premium, there was no option to select Windows Vista Home Premium
64-bit, I hope Microsoft just bundles the 64-bit kernel in with the
mainstream distributions. It makes little sense not to. It also seems
that there are a good number of people running some 32-bit version of
Windows XP on 64-bit hardware.




Aaron Kelley wrote:
> Windows Vista *does* support 64-bit processors. There are 32-bit and 64-bit
> versions of every edition except Vista starter.
>
> The 32-bit application support hasn't changed much. However, I've been
> running 64-bit Windows for quite a while and never had a problem with 32-bit
> apps performing badly, and I imagine a lot of other people here will tell
> you the same.
>
> This is probably a good read for you. A lot of the issues still apply to
> Vista 64.
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
>
> - Aaron
>
> "RMZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >I recently purchased a AMD 64 Turion x2 based notebook PC with Windows
> > XP Media Center Edition installed. My assumption is since Windows XP
> > MCE is not 64-bit that I'm not able to tap into the power of the
> > processors. I'm looking at Windows XP 64-bit edition and I don't want
> > to install it because I'm hearing conflicting information about
> > performance of 32-bit apps on 64-bit Windows, and at this point there
> > are only a handful of 64-bit apps.
> >
> > I'm wondering if Windows Vista will support 64-bit processors on all
> > versions and if Windows Vista will have better support for 32-bit
> > Windows applications. Is it too early to ask these questions?
> >


 
Reply With Quote
 
Al Dykes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2007
In article <#(E-Mail Removed)>,
John Barnes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I'll confirm what is said, but add that some 32-bit programs won't install
>or run on 64-bit and no 16-bit will.
>


Does WMware have a product that will run most 32 bit and 16 bit code
under a 64 bit OS?

What is MS going to do with Virtual PC?



>"Aaron Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Windows Vista *does* support 64-bit processors. There are 32-bit and
>> 64-bit versions of every edition except Vista starter.
>>
>> The 32-bit application support hasn't changed much. However, I've been
>> running 64-bit Windows for quite a while and never had a problem with
>> 32-bit apps performing badly, and I imagine a lot of other people here
>> will tell you the same.
>>
>> This is probably a good read for you. A lot of the issues still apply to
>> Vista 64.
>> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
>>
>> - Aaron
>>
>> "RMZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>>I recently purchased a AMD 64 Turion x2 based notebook PC with Windows
>>> XP Media Center Edition installed. My assumption is since Windows XP
>>> MCE is not 64-bit that I'm not able to tap into the power of the
>>> processors. I'm looking at Windows XP 64-bit edition and I don't want
>>> to install it because I'm hearing conflicting information about
>>> performance of 32-bit apps on 64-bit Windows, and at this point there
>>> are only a handful of 64-bit apps.
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if Windows Vista will support 64-bit processors on all
>>> versions and if Windows Vista will have better support for 32-bit
>>> Windows applications. Is it too early to ask these questions?
>>>

>>

>



--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
Harrison for Congress in NY 13CD www.harrison06.com
Don't blame me. I voted for Gore. A Proud signature since 2001
 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2007
VMWare Workstation and Server will run on XP x64, and will run 16 and 32bit
OS's. But so will the current (public) betas of Virtual Server and Virtual
PC.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64


"Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eooa3b$8ch$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <#(E-Mail Removed)>,
> John Barnes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I'll confirm what is said, but add that some 32-bit programs won't install
>>or run on 64-bit and no 16-bit will.
>>

>
> Does WMware have a product that will run most 32 bit and 16 bit code
> under a 64 bit OS?
>
> What is MS going to do with Virtual PC?
>
>
>
>>"Aaron Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:%(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>> Windows Vista *does* support 64-bit processors. There are 32-bit and
>>> 64-bit versions of every edition except Vista starter.
>>>
>>> The 32-bit application support hasn't changed much. However, I've been
>>> running 64-bit Windows for quite a while and never had a problem with
>>> 32-bit apps performing badly, and I imagine a lot of other people here
>>> will tell you the same.
>>>
>>> This is probably a good read for you. A lot of the issues still apply
>>> to
>>> Vista 64.
>>> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
>>>
>>> - Aaron
>>>
>>> "RMZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>>>I recently purchased a AMD 64 Turion x2 based notebook PC with Windows
>>>> XP Media Center Edition installed. My assumption is since Windows XP
>>>> MCE is not 64-bit that I'm not able to tap into the power of the
>>>> processors. I'm looking at Windows XP 64-bit edition and I don't want
>>>> to install it because I'm hearing conflicting information about
>>>> performance of 32-bit apps on 64-bit Windows, and at this point there
>>>> are only a handful of 64-bit apps.
>>>>
>>>> I'm wondering if Windows Vista will support 64-bit processors on all
>>>> versions and if Windows Vista will have better support for 32-bit
>>>> Windows applications. Is it too early to ask these questions?
>>>>
>>>

>>

>
>
> --
> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
> Harrison for Congress in NY 13CD www.harrison06.com
> Don't blame me. I voted for Gore. A Proud signature since 2001


 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2007
Windows Vista doesn't distinguish between 32-bit and 64-bit versions. If you
have a license for one, you have a license for the other. As to why they
don't ship with x64 Edition? It's easier and cheaper to put Home Edition on.
Frankly, the x64 Edition of XP was never intended for wide spread
dissemination - which is why there is no retail version of it. It's
necessary and appropriate for those whose work or systems need the
advantages it brings (primarily around memory), but not a great fit
otherwise. As the whitepaper Aaron pointed you to clearly discusses. (Or at
least I hope it's clear, since I wrote it.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64


"RMZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Thanks Aaron,
>
> I don't understand why the vendors (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc...) don't
> ship Windows XP Pro 64-bit edition on all AMD 64 Turion on Turion x2
> notebooks. Does anyone know why this is? Aren't there significant
> performance advantages to having a 64-bit OS for these processors?
>
> The system I purchased came with an upgrade option for Windows Vista
> Home Premium, there was no option to select Windows Vista Home Premium
> 64-bit, I hope Microsoft just bundles the 64-bit kernel in with the
> mainstream distributions. It makes little sense not to. It also seems
> that there are a good number of people running some 32-bit version of
> Windows XP on 64-bit hardware.
>
>
>
>
> Aaron Kelley wrote:
>> Windows Vista *does* support 64-bit processors. There are 32-bit and
>> 64-bit
>> versions of every edition except Vista starter.
>>
>> The 32-bit application support hasn't changed much. However, I've been
>> running 64-bit Windows for quite a while and never had a problem with
>> 32-bit
>> apps performing badly, and I imagine a lot of other people here will tell
>> you the same.
>>
>> This is probably a good read for you. A lot of the issues still apply to
>> Vista 64.
>> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
>>
>> - Aaron
>>
>> "RMZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> >I recently purchased a AMD 64 Turion x2 based notebook PC with Windows
>> > XP Media Center Edition installed. My assumption is since Windows XP
>> > MCE is not 64-bit that I'm not able to tap into the power of the
>> > processors. I'm looking at Windows XP 64-bit edition and I don't want
>> > to install it because I'm hearing conflicting information about
>> > performance of 32-bit apps on 64-bit Windows, and at this point there
>> > are only a handful of 64-bit apps.
>> >
>> > I'm wondering if Windows Vista will support 64-bit processors on all
>> > versions and if Windows Vista will have better support for 32-bit
>> > Windows applications. Is it too early to ask these questions?
>> >

>


 
Reply With Quote
 
RMZ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2007
I'm not sure I follow.... My understanding is the AMD 64 Turion x2 is
dual core, but each core has a 64-bit processor. If I understand
correctly you're saying that 64-bit Windows XP Pro can take advantage
the 64-bit CPUs 64-bit registers, but it doesn't utilize the second
core in dual core CPUs... and that Windows 32-bit (Pro, MCE, etc..) can
take advantage of dual core processors, but does not take advantage of
all things 64-bit has to offer (terrabytes of virtual paging, 64-bit
registers, etc...).

Why can't we have both? Unless I'm misunderstanding AMD's dual core 64
technology, it seems like Microsoft doesn't have an OS capable of
truely utilizing all the power of the latest AMD 64 dual core chips, is
that true? How will Vista be different? Depending on the type of
application you're creating, code that's written to target a 64-bit
processor can have significant advantages performance wise over a
32-bit. Especially when you need to access indexed access to Gigabytes
of data in memory, dual core technology offers benefits in other areas.
What's the point of a dual core 64-bit chip if you can't utilize both.



>Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> Your assumption is incorrect. All editions of Windows XP, including MCE,
> can leverage a multicore processor. XP Home and XP MCE can only use one
> physical cpu (socket) but that cpu can have multiple cores (logical
> processors). The same is true of Vista Home Basic and Premium.
>
> The bitness of the OS does not matter. x86 and x64 are the same.
>
> XP Pro SP2 and XP Pro x64 can support two sockets and those cpu's can be
> multicore. The same is true of Vista Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate.
>
> "RMZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >I recently purchased a AMD 64 Turion x2 based notebook PC with Windows
> > XP Media Center Edition installed. My assumption is since Windows XP
> > MCE is not 64-bit that I'm not able to tap into the power of the
> > processors. I'm looking at Windows XP 64-bit edition and I don't want
> > to install it because I'm hearing conflicting information about
> > performance of 32-bit apps on 64-bit Windows, and at this point there
> > are only a handful of 64-bit apps.
> >
> > I'm wondering if Windows Vista will support 64-bit processors on all
> > versions and if Windows Vista will have better support for 32-bit
> > Windows applications. Is it too early to ask these questions?
> >


 
Reply With Quote
 
Colin Barnhorst
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2007
You cannot run 16bit code in a 64bit OS. VMWare Workstation 6 beta supports
64bit guest OS's, but no virtualization solution can trick a 64bit OS into
running 16bit apps. I believe the reason is that 64bit OS's require full
32bit addressing, but Charlie can swat me around on that one.

As far as what MS plans to do with VPC I assume you mean with regards to the
issues you are addressing. MS will continue to support VPC as compatible
with both x86 and x64 hosts and x86 guests. x64 guest support has been
announced for Microsoft Vitualization which will appear in Longhorn Server
within 180 days after that product releases. Eventually virtualization will
migrate into future Windows server and (probably) client operating systems
and the standalone apps like VPC and Virtual Server will not be needed
except on legacy systems.

"Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eooa3b$8ch$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <#(E-Mail Removed)>,
> John Barnes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I'll confirm what is said, but add that some 32-bit programs won't install
>>or run on 64-bit and no 16-bit will.
>>

>
> Does WMware have a product that will run most 32 bit and 16 bit code
> under a 64 bit OS?
>
> What is MS going to do with Virtual PC?
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seeking recommendation for Laptop (Windows) suitable for photography Wally Digital Photography 62 10-26-2012 07:46 PM
ABAP,SAP,SQL,Windows,Siebel,Peoplesoft,EJB,J2ME Interview questions and answers softwareengineer2006@gmail.com C Programming 0 05-01-2006 06:21 AM
ABAP,SAP,SQL,Windows,Siebel,Peoplesoft,EJB,J2ME Interview questions and answers softwareengineer2006@gmail.com C++ 0 05-01-2006 06:17 AM
ABAP,SAP,SQL,Windows,Siebel,Peoplesoft,EJB,J2ME Interview questions and answers softwareengineer2006@gmail.com Java 0 05-01-2006 06:16 AM
Seeking advice on what to buy for Win98/XP home network... Sunny Side Wireless Networking 7 07-31-2004 01:47 AM



Advertisments