Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: is the virtual desktop powertoy not available for x64 edition?

Re: is the virtual desktop powertoy not available for x64 edition?

Dshai

Not functional on x64 systems.

--

Dshai

Life is only limited by those living it...

"Ewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I tried to install the virtual desktop powertoy however installation fails
> saying I need a service pack or windows xp.. it appears that this
> functionlaity is not supported on this 'premium' version of windows -
> true?
> has anyone had any joy installing this (very neat and useful) tool?
>
> cheers

Homer J. Simpson

> Not functional on x64 systems.

Keeping in mind that the Virtual Desktop powertoy came out before XP x64,
what I wanna know is whether it's some artificial limitation imposed by the
installer that can't ID the OS properly, or if there's some component that
actually *cannot* run on x64.

In other words, if it weren't for the installer's OS check, would it
actually run?

One way or another, I guess nobody within MS actually finds Virtual Desktop
useful enough to recompile it for x64?

Aaron Kelley

Even if you could get it to install, I doubt it would work. Doesn't it run
off of the Windows taskbar? It'd be like Windows Media Player, you wouldn't
be able to see the extra toolbar unless you ran the 32-bit Windows Explorer.

- Aaron

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...