Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > FTPF

anon

MCNGP, can you help? (i know this isn't where i should
post this kind of question, however i want someone who is
actually technical to read this).

I want to run an TFTP server on my Win2K server. Rather
than using a 3rd party piece of software I would like to
use a Microsoft version.

I know that the TFTP server is installed when RIS is
installed, however I don't want to use RIS. Is there any
way to separate the two. Or just disable the majority of
RIS leaving just TFTP running?

Regards.

Consultant

what's wrong with a 3rd party client?

"anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9e0801c4343f$f90c8db0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> MCNGP, can you help? (i know this isn't where i should
> post this kind of question, however i want someone who is
> actually technical to read this).
>
> I want to run an TFTP server on my Win2K server. Rather
> than using a 3rd party piece of software I would like to
> use a Microsoft version.
>
> I know that the TFTP server is installed when RIS is
> installed, however I don't want to use RIS. Is there any
> way to separate the two. Or just disable the majority of
> RIS leaving just TFTP running?
>
> Regards.

>I want to run an TFTP server on my Win2K server. Rather
>than using a 3rd party piece of software I would like to
>use a Microsoft version.

Why TFTP?

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

anon

I want to send logs from a pix firewall to a folder on a
2k server and don't want to spend cash on cisco works
product.

Just want to keep it simple.
Don't want to spend time investigating other vendors.
Also means another product to support etc.

Consultant

true, but you are spending more time trying to figure out how to spilt up
functionality of an existing service. tftp is quite simple to maintain and
setup.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9e8101c43446$04dd3ee0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just want to keep it simple.
> Don't want to spend time investigating other vendors.
> Also means another product to support etc.

Consultant

http://www.solarwinds.net/Tools/Free_tools/TFTP_Server/

"anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9e7f01c43445$e4f02e30$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I want to send logs from a pix firewall to a folder on a
> 2k server and don't want to spend cash on cisco works
> product.

.... and insecure, hence why you recommended solarwinds?

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

>I want to send logs from a pix firewall to a folder on a
>2k server and don't want to spend cash on cisco works
>product.

Haven't the pix ftp vulnerabilities been fixed?

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

Neil

"anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:9e0801c4343f
$f90c8db0$(E-Mail Removed):

> MCNGP, can you help? (i know this isn't where i should
> post this kind of question, however i want someone who is
> actually technical to read this).
>
> I want to run an TFTP server on my Win2K server. Rather
> than using a 3rd party piece of software I would like to
> use a Microsoft version.
>
> I know that the TFTP server is installed when RIS is
> installed, however I don't want to use RIS. Is there any
> way to separate the two. Or just disable the majority of
> RIS leaving just TFTP running?
>
> Regards.

Although RIS uses TFTP there is not a "real" TFTP server available. The
version offered by Consultant is likely your best bet...

--
Neil MCNGP #30