Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows Vista 64 Bit

Windows Vista 64 Bit

Kulgan

Hi All

Up until now I have been running 32 bit WinXP on all my PCs (even
though they all have 64 bit AMD processors). I am considering upgrading
one as a test to the 64 bit version of Vista. Are there any good
websites out there that document using a 64 bit version of XP / Vista?
I am looking for information on the gotchas and problems I am likely to
encounter.

My PCs get used pretty hard for:

.NET Software Development
Java software development
MS Office
Video editing and DVD authoring
Email and web browsing
Gaming
Copying CDs into Realplayer / iTunes and then on to my iPod

Has anyone got any advice / good web site recommendations?

Thanks,

Kulgan.

Aaron Kelley

Charlie's "Is Windows XP x64 Right For Me?" paper is a good place to start.
A lot of the issues still apply to Vista x64.
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc

--
- Aaron
"Kulgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi All
>
> Up until now I have been running 32 bit WinXP on all my PCs (even
> though they all have 64 bit AMD processors). I am considering upgrading
> one as a test to the 64 bit version of Vista. Are there any good
> websites out there that document using a 64 bit version of XP / Vista?
> I am looking for information on the gotchas and problems I am likely to
> encounter.
>
> My PCs get used pretty hard for:
>
> .NET Software Development
> Java software development
> MS Office
> Video editing and DVD authoring
> Email and web browsing
> Gaming
> Copying CDs into Realplayer / iTunes and then on to my iPod
>
> Has anyone got any advice / good web site recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kulgan.

Kulgan

Aaron Kelley wrote:
> Charlie's "Is Windows XP x64 Right For Me?" paper is a good place to start.
> A lot of the issues still apply to Vista x64.
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc

Thanks!

Kulgan.

Charlie Russel - MVP

In addition to the whitepaper, which is a good starting point, keep in mind
that with the upcoming retail availability of Vista x64, we all hope and
expect the driver situation to improve fairly quickly. The other thing to
keep in mind when reading that paper is that it was written for XP x64.
Vista x64 has some definite advantages over XP x64 in that it is full
feature parity.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Kulgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Aaron Kelley wrote:
>> Charlie's "Is Windows XP x64 Right For Me?" paper is a good place to
>> start.
>> A lot of the issues still apply to Vista x64.
>> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc

> Thanks!
>
> Kulgan.

John Barnes

Keep in mind that XP64 allowed unsigned drivers and Vista64 requires signed
drivers. This MAY require that you replace programs for Vista64 that worked
on XP64. Roxio EMC 8 works on XP not on Vista64, you need EMC9. So you
need to buy the replacement if you have EMC8. Same scenario also goes for
other programs. Then again, some of my hardware that didn't have drivers
for XP64, have drivers for Vista64.

"Aaron Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uQt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie's "Is Windows XP x64 Right For Me?" paper is a good place to
> start. A lot of the issues still apply to Vista x64.
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
>
> --
> - Aaron
> "Kulgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> Hi All
>>
>> Up until now I have been running 32 bit WinXP on all my PCs (even
>> though they all have 64 bit AMD processors). I am considering upgrading
>> one as a test to the 64 bit version of Vista. Are there any good
>> websites out there that document using a 64 bit version of XP / Vista?
>> I am looking for information on the gotchas and problems I am likely to
>> encounter.
>>
>> My PCs get used pretty hard for:
>>
>> .NET Software Development
>> Java software development
>> MS Office
>> Video editing and DVD authoring
>> Email and web browsing
>> Gaming
>> Copying CDs into Realplayer / iTunes and then on to my iPod
>>
>> Has anyone got any advice / good web site recommendations?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kulgan.

Benjamin Gawert

* Kulgan:

> Up until now I have been running 32 bit WinXP on all my PCs (even
> though they all have 64 bit AMD processors). I am considering upgrading
> one as a test to the 64 bit version of Vista. Are there any good
> websites out there that document using a 64 bit version of XP / Vista?
> I am looking for information on the gotchas and problems I am likely to
> encounter.
>
> My PCs get used pretty hard for:
>
> .NET Software Development
> Java software development
> MS Office
> Video editing and DVD authoring
> Email and web browsing
> Gaming
> Copying CDs into Realplayer / iTunes and then on to my iPod

Forget iTunes with any x64 Windows. The last iTunes version that worked
was 6.0.4 (which lacks lots of features and has some security holes),
newer versions simply don't work on XP x64 or Vista x64 any more..

> Has anyone got any advice / good web site recommendations?

My advice is: if you don't have more than 4GB or memory an/or no native
64bit applications then just stay with 32bit Windows. Makes life much
easier...

Benjamin