Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 64-bit vs 32-bit Remote Desktop Connections

64-bit vs 32-bit Remote Desktop Connections

David L. West

I have a small LAN with one 64-bit XP workstation with the rest XP Pro.
Remote Desktop is enabled on all machines. The 64-bit box can RDC to other
workstations, but other workstations can't RDC to it. Firewall is off,
machine is pingable, and I can find no reason this shouldn't work.

Aaron Kelley

I do this all the time and it works fine... Shouldn't be a 32-bit/64-bit
issue.
Only thing I can think of is, you did enable incoming remote desktop
connections in the System control panel?

- Aaron

"David L. West" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a small LAN with one 64-bit XP workstation with the rest XP Pro.
>Remote Desktop is enabled on all machines. The 64-bit box can RDC to other
>workstations, but other workstations can't RDC to it. Firewall is off,
>machine is pingable, and I can find no reason this shouldn't work.

NuTCrAcKeR

it may also be necessary to enable RDP on all network interfaces. I ran into
a problem once where I had it set to listen on a particular NIC, and then i
replaced the NIC sometime later, and I couldnt RDP to the server.

- NuTs

"Aaron Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I do this all the time and it works fine... Shouldn't be a 32-bit/64-bit
>issue.
> Only thing I can think of is, you did enable incoming remote desktop
> connections in the System control panel?
>
> - Aaron
>
> "David L. West" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a small LAN with one 64-bit XP workstation with the rest XP Pro.
>>Remote Desktop is enabled on all machines. The 64-bit box can RDC to
>>other workstations, but other workstations can't RDC to it. Firewall is
>>off, machine is pingable, and I can find no reason this shouldn't work.

David L. West

Yep, that's what I meant by "Remote Desktop is enabled...". I also verified
that it's listening on port 3389 via a "netstat -an" command.

"Aaron Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I do this all the time and it works fine... Shouldn't be a 32-bit/64-bit
>issue.
> Only thing I can think of is, you did enable incoming remote desktop
> connections in the System control panel?
>
> - Aaron
>
> "David L. West" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a small LAN with one 64-bit XP workstation with the rest XP Pro.
>>Remote Desktop is enabled on all machines. The 64-bit box can RDC to
>>other workstations, but other workstations can't RDC to it. Firewall is
>>off, machine is pingable, and I can find no reason this shouldn't work.

Aaron Kelley

What error do you get? Just something indicating that there is no machine
at that address?

Can you establish a telnet connection to the x64 machine on port 3389? Go
to a command prompt and type
telnet [x64 machine's address] 3389

If the whole command window goes black, then the connection worked, but it
if gives you a connection error, there is some network connectivity/firewall
issue preventing you from connecting to the x64 machine and remote desktop
will not work.

- Aaron

"David L. West" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yep, that's what I meant by "Remote Desktop is enabled...". I also
> verified that it's listening on port 3389 via a "netstat -an" command.
>
> "Aaron Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I do this all the time and it works fine... Shouldn't be a 32-bit/64-bit
>>issue.
>> Only thing I can think of is, you did enable incoming remote desktop
>> connections in the System control panel?
>>
>> - Aaron
>>
>> "David L. West" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have a small LAN with one 64-bit XP workstation with the rest XP Pro.
>>>Remote Desktop is enabled on all machines. The 64-bit box can RDC to
>>>other workstations, but other workstations can't RDC to it. Firewall is
>>>off, machine is pingable, and I can find no reason this shouldn't work.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Is your 64bit machine using an nvidia chipset? If so, please follow these
instructions:
===
Known Problem:
Unfortunately, the built in nVidia firewall product appears to install at
least some portion of itself even if you've never chosen to install it. And
this appears to interfere with 32-bit programs. The solution is to install
the firewall program if it isn't already installed, and then uninstall it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64