Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows Vista Activation Error 0x8007232b

Windows Vista Activation Error 0x8007232b

Vinny

Over the weekend I downloaded Windows Vista Enterprise from my MSDN
subscription via the eopen downloads site.

The install worked fine.

When I attempt to activate the software, however, I receive this error:

"A problem occured when Windows tried to activate. Error code
0x8007232b"

clicking more information indicates

Code: 0x8007232b

Since my DNS service works for every other site on the internet I
connect to from this machine, I assume its some type of glitch in the
Vista activation software.

Naturally, Microsoft's KB yields nothing.

Anyone have any thoughts? Any idea what site the activation software is
attempting to connect to?

Theo

Go to www.microsoft.com and search for your error code. You
will find this in several links, but one is:

Volume versions can activate against a KMS-enabled machine
in your corporate environment or against Microsoft online
servers using a MAK. MAKs are special keys that are
installed after your Vista installation is complete. As a
volume customer you should be able to get one from you MS rep.

Please consult the Windows Vista Volume Activation 2.0
Technical Guidance page
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...an/volact.mspx
for more information. It includes the Windows Vista
Volume Activation 2.0 Step-by-Step Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...n/volact1.mspx
and the Windows Vista Volume Activation FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win.../plan/faq.mspx .

Another course of action is to call Microsoft. Try a
telephone activation.

Vinny wrote:
> Over the weekend I downloaded Windows Vista Enterprise from my MSDN
> subscription via the eopen downloads site.
>
> The install worked fine.
>
> When I attempt to activate the software, however, I receive this error:
>
> "A problem occured when Windows tried to activate. Error code
> 0x8007232b"
>
> clicking more information indicates
>
> Code: 0x8007232b
>

> Since my DNS service works for every other site on the internet I
> connect to from this machine, I assume its some type of glitch in the
> Vista activation software.
>
> Naturally, Microsoft's KB yields nothing.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts? Any idea what site the activation software is
> attempting to connect to?

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello ,
Telephone activation will not work. When you install Windows VIsta Volume
license media, the installation uses a default generic product key.
By itself, this key will look for a KMS server, querying DNS to locate the
address of the server.
When there is no KMS server setup in your enviroment, the error message
below is given.
So either a KMS server needs to be setup with the KMS product key and
activated.
OR the customer must change the product key to a MAK(Volume License
Multiple Activation Key) key. After changing to a MAK product key, the
customer will be able to use phone activation.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|>Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 09:33:34 -0500
|>From: Theo <(E-Mail Removed)>
|>Subject: Re: Windows Vista Activation Error 0x8007232b
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
|>
|>Go to www.microsoft.com and search for your error code. You
|>will find this in several links, but one is:
|>
|>Volume versions can activate against a KMS-enabled machine
|>in your corporate environment or against Microsoft online
|>servers using a MAK. MAKs are special keys that are
|>installed after your Vista installation is complete. As a
|>volume customer you should be able to get one from you MS rep.
|>
|>Please consult the Windows Vista Volume Activation 2.0
|>Technical Guidance page
|>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...an/volact.mspx
|> for more information. It includes the Windows Vista
|>Volume Activation 2.0 Step-by-Step Guide
|>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...n/volact1.mspx
|>and the Windows Vista Volume Activation FAQ
|>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win.../plan/faq.mspx .
|>
|>Another course of action is to call Microsoft. Try a
|>telephone activation.
|>

|>Vinny wrote:
|>> Over the weekend I downloaded Windows Vista Enterprise from my MSDN
|>> subscription via the eopen downloads site.
|>>
|>> The install worked fine.
|>>
|>> When I attempt to activate the software, however, I receive this error:
|>>
|>> "A problem occured when Windows tried to activate. Error code
|>> 0x8007232b"
|>>
|>> clicking more information indicates
|>>
|>> Code: 0x8007232b
|>>

|>> Since my DNS service works for every other site on the internet I
|>> connect to from this machine, I assume its some type of glitch in the
|>> Vista activation software.
|>>
|>> Naturally, Microsoft's KB yields nothing.
|>>
|>> Anyone have any thoughts? Any idea what site the activation software is
|>> attempting to connect to?

Theo

Thanks, Darrell. This same question has been asked in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup

I will copy your response and post it over there.