Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Carlos was right. . .

Carlos was right. . .

Tony Sperling

Not unlikely! The ROM chip is supported and that covers several more layers
of RAID sets.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you sure it is RAID0+1?
> Tony and I are working with RAID0 (byte stripping).
> Carlos
>
> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
>

> > Tony Sperling wrote:
> > > Let's hear what you think!

> > It installed fine after I flashed the mobo. My raid 0+1 was recognized.
> > I'll let the PC run a while and see if it is stable. Oh, it's 64 bit
> > Suse, but you probably guessed that.
> >

> > > Tony. . .
> > >

> > > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

the
> > > CD/DVD

land
> > > in

existing
> > > Windows

using up
> > > the

dir's
> > > size

others
> > > may

based

much
> > > the

Hat

AND
> > > 'Suse

man, this
> > > is

of

real
> > > live

disk +

enabled, I
> > > had

the

does
> > > show

fast, but

that
> > > big

used

more
> > > just

need for

installation'! With
> > > the

but no

*.ZIP's, but
> > > this

two
> > > running
> > > practical

nothing but

putting it
> > > all

Suse
> > > 10.0

is
> > > quite

Tony Sperling

Ah, yes - that's true, but in reallity, 0+1 should combine Stripe and Mirror
and so, only show a minor slowdown for the processing and writing involved
in the mirroring that is taking place. This will all happen concurrently,
and will need a minimum (I think of 4 drives) it will have a speed-boost
equal to a RAID0 of two discs minus something, if I'm not mistaken. And all,
with the added security as a bonus.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

miso@sushi.com

Tony Sperling wrote:
> Ah, yes - that's true, but in reallity, 0+1 should combine Stripe and Mirror
> and so, only show a minor slowdown for the processing and writing involved
> in the mirroring that is taking place. This will all happen concurrently,
> and will need a minimum (I think of 4 drives) it will have a speed-boost
> equal to a RAID0 of two discs minus something, if I'm not mistaken. And all,
> with the added security as a bonus.

Yes, I have 4 drives in the box. I used the Gigabyte ga-k8n ultra-9
mobo, which can interface to 8 sata devices, 4 at a time. You could run
raid-5 on one of the controllers, though I don't know if suse 10.2
recognizes it. One controller is the NVraid, and the other is Silicon
Image chip based.

I like the mobo a lot, but am annoyed that it only recognized about
3.2G of the 4G RAM that I populated the board. I thought the AMD 54
has it's own memory controller, so I don't see what limits the mobo
ram.

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Tony:
> > What I wanted to mean is that only RAID0 provides the performance boost we
> > were both looking for.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Tony Sperling" wrote:
> >
> > > Not unlikely! The ROM chip is supported and that covers several more

> layers
> > > of RAID sets.
> > >
> > > Tony. . .
> > >

> > > "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> recognized.

> stick
> > > the

> you
> > > land
> > > existing
> > > using up

> > > dir's

> > > others

> ROM
> > > based

> pretty
> > > much

> Red
> > > Hat

> 'x64'
> > > AND
> > > man, this

> 466MB
> > > of

> of
> > > real

> the
> > > disk +
> > > enabled, I

> > > the

> it
> > > does
> > > fast, but

> isn't
> > > that

> This
> > > used

> once
> > > more

> no
> > > need for
> > > installation'! With

> mind,
> > > but no
> > > *.ZIP's, but

> have
> > > two

> Is it
> > > nothing but

> > > putting it

> > > Suse

> up
> > > is

Tony Sperling

I think you should check regularly for BIOS updates, as I remember, this is
kind of a shortcut to sqeeze PCI intercommunication into the memory pool,
something that could be achieved by other means within the BIOS itself, if
they made the effort.

miso@sushi.com

Tony Sperling wrote:
> I think you should check regularly for BIOS updates, as I remember, this is
> kind of a shortcut to sqeeze PCI intercommunication into the memory pool,
> something that could be achieved by other means within the BIOS itself, if
> they made the effort.
>

> Tony. . .

I had updated the x64 PC, but the linux machine had a job that had been
running for a few days, and there was no way I was going to interrupt
it. Then I just forgot.

To keep this relevant to X64, it should be possible now to dual boot a
PC wit windows and suse 10.2 under fake raid. I think I would make the
partitions first using windows and the program of your choice
(partition commander or whatever). I prefer to have two machines, as
there are useful way to use them in tadem.

BTW, photoshop 6 now mysterious works on my X64 machine. No changes on
my part. I should probably spend the bucks and get a more current
version, maybe 64 bit ready.