Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x64 fast outbound - slow inbound net traffic

x64 fast outbound - slow inbound net traffic

Computerflyer

I have a GA K8N-SLI mobo using x64, all patches, latest GA and NVidia
drivers. Somewhere along the way the network has been damaged so that
transfers outbound to an XPX86 system run at full speed, but transfers
back run at roughly 10% of the outbound (100base) xfer rate. Using
the X64 system, VOIP speed tests on the ADSL report 234 kbps up, but
only 225 kbps down on the 1500 mbps link. The X86 system gets close to
full bandwidth on the ADSL in both directions, and has a K8N-9 mobo, so
it looks like the X64 system.

I have switched out the firewall-routers and the ADSL modem without
change in behavior, I have also used the tweakers to set XP buffer
sizes - while the buffer sizes make modest improvements it still is not
close to being "right."

I also occassionally get the network "disconnected" followed
immediately by a "connected" message. Since the reconnect is
instantaneous it is an annoyance rather than a problem.

I uninstalled the nVidia firewall; uninstalled all the nVidia drivers
via control panel, and reinstalled the latest nVidia drivers without
the firewall. I am using ghostwall now, Windows firewall disabled.

Any further ideas?

Thanks,

Tony Sperling

I am not sure, if you re-install the motherboard drivers, that you don't
expose yourself to that 'firewall bug' yet again? Someone else is bound to
step in, so hang on - in the mean-time you could try and do the execise once
more - Install/Un-install!

Tony. . .

"Computerflyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I have a GA K8N-SLI mobo using x64, all patches, latest GA and NVidia
> drivers. Somewhere along the way the network has been damaged so that
> transfers outbound to an XPX86 system run at full speed, but transfers
> back run at roughly 10% of the outbound (100base) xfer rate. Using
> the X64 system, VOIP speed tests on the ADSL report 234 kbps up, but
> only 225 kbps down on the 1500 mbps link. The X86 system gets close to
> full bandwidth on the ADSL in both directions, and has a K8N-9 mobo, so
> it looks like the X64 system.
>
> I have switched out the firewall-routers and the ADSL modem without
> change in behavior, I have also used the tweakers to set XP buffer
> sizes - while the buffer sizes make modest improvements it still is not
> close to being "right."
>
> I also occassionally get the network "disconnected" followed
> immediately by a "connected" message. Since the reconnect is
> instantaneous it is an annoyance rather than a problem.
>
> I uninstalled the nVidia firewall; uninstalled all the nVidia drivers
> via control panel, and reinstalled the latest nVidia drivers without
> the firewall. I am using ghostwall now, Windows firewall disabled.
>
> Any further ideas?
>
> Thanks,

Computerflyer

Tony,

BINGO! I uninstalled just the ethernet drivers, hoping X64 might have
some generics. It could not find the bus let alone the ethernet card.
I then used the update driver applet for the unknown bus, and pointed
to the drivers directories until it found the bus driver... voila. All
is well.

Thanks for the encouragement to do it yet again, in a more controlled
manner