Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: Constant system crashes

Re: Constant system crashes

Charlie Russel - MVP

As John suggests, we need some error codes to know where the problem is. My
guess is a hardware problem, since folks here are running XP x64 every day,
and have been for over a year and a half, and the reports are that it is
extremely stable.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"GoingCrazy!" <GoingCrazy!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I purchased XP Pro x64 and installed it on my AMD 4800 system a couple of
> months ago, however the system has become so unstable that it just crashes
> without indication or reason... just sitting idle it will crash and reboot
> it's self. I have downloaded and installed all new AMD drivers to no
> avail!
> Has anyone else experiences this and if so how do I fix this OS? P.S>
> computers works flawless on a LINUX OS!

John Barnes

Think you are right. If Linux works its probably 32-bit and his memory
won't work properly with 64-bit processes.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As John suggests, we need some error codes to know where the problem is.
> My guess is a hardware problem, since folks here are running XP x64 every
> day, and have been for over a year and a half, and the reports are that it
> is extremely stable.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "GoingCrazy!" <GoingCrazy!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I purchased XP Pro x64 and installed it on my AMD 4800 system a couple of
>> months ago, however the system has become so unstable that it just
>> crashes
>> without indication or reason... just sitting idle it will crash and
>> reboot
>> it's self. I have downloaded and installed all new AMD drivers to no
>> avail!
>> Has anyone else experiences this and if so how do I fix this OS? P.S>
>> computers works flawless on a LINUX OS!

Tony Sperling

There are innumerable 64bit Linuxes out there, and has been for two years,
so that could be a 'risky' bet. Oddly enough, many of those are hampered by
ACPI problems and are tricky to get to booting, so you may be right, John.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Think you are right. If Linux works its probably 32-bit and his memory
> won't work properly with 64-bit processes.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > As John suggests, we need some error codes to know where the problem is.
> > My guess is a hardware problem, since folks here are running XP x64

every
> > day, and have been for over a year and a half, and the reports are that

it
> > is extremely stable.
> >
> > --
> > Charlie.
> > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> >

> > "GoingCrazy!" <GoingCrazy!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I purchased XP Pro x64 and installed it on my AMD 4800 system a couple

of
> >> months ago, however the system has become so unstable that it just
> >> crashes
> >> without indication or reason... just sitting idle it will crash and
> >> reboot
> >> it's self. I have downloaded and installed all new AMD drivers to no
> >> avail!
> >> Has anyone else experiences this and if so how do I fix this OS? P.S>
> >> computers works flawless on a LINUX OS!

=?Utf-8?B?R29pbmdDcmF6eSE=?=

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Think you are right. If Linux works its probably 32-bit and his memory
> won't work properly with 64-bit processes.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > As John suggests, we need some error codes to know where the problem is.
> > My guess is a hardware problem, since folks here are running XP x64 every
> > day, and have been for over a year and a half, and the reports are that it
> > is extremely stable.
> >
> > --
> > Charlie.
> > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> >

> > "GoingCrazy!" <GoingCrazy!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I purchased XP Pro x64 and installed it on my AMD 4800 system a couple of
> >> months ago, however the system has become so unstable that it just
> >> crashes
> >> without indication or reason... just sitting idle it will crash and
> >> reboot
> >> it's self. I have downloaded and installed all new AMD drivers to no
> >> avail!
> >> Has anyone else experiences this and if so how do I fix this OS? P.S>
> >> computers works flawless on a LINUX OS!

> NO NO NO my system is 64 bit! AMD 4800 X2 64 bit processor! I have a dual boot OS with UNBUNTU loaded and also XP Pro x64. Unbuntu works perfect on my system and if it weren't for my MS programs I would trash MS is a second, however... I need windows for some of my programs, but X64 is crashing like one of those test dummies.

John Barnes

The question is UNBUNTU the 32-bit or 64-bit version. 64-bit processes use
memory differently and we have had a number of OP that had memory work
perfectly on a 32-bit system and fail with X-64 and Vista64.

"GoingCrazy!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Think you are right. If Linux works its probably 32-bit and his memory
>> won't work properly with 64-bit processes.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > As John suggests, we need some error codes to know where the problem
>> > is.
>> > My guess is a hardware problem, since folks here are running XP x64
>> > every
>> > day, and have been for over a year and a half, and the reports are that
>> > it
>> > is extremely stable.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Charlie.
>> > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>> >

>> > "GoingCrazy!" <GoingCrazy!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >

>> NO NO NO my system is 64 bit! AMD 4800 X2 64 bit processor! I have a dual
>> boot OS with UNBUNTU loaded and also XP Pro x64. Unbuntu works perfect on
>> my system and if it weren't for my MS programs I would trash MS is a
>> second, however... I need windows for some of my programs, but X64 is
>> crashing like one of those test dummies.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Look, just set you system to not automatically reboot on error, and then
tell us what the error is, just as John suggested as the very first reply to
you. We might actually be able to help you then.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64