Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > problems networking

problems networking

=?Utf-8?B?SXNhdXJvY2Jy?=

i cannot seem to get one of my computers to communicate. I am new to the 64
bit world, and i don't know if this could be the problem. My status is this:
i just installed, MS Pro x64 to one of my computers on my network at home,
and i cant view any computers through it. Everyone can and has full access to
it. When i attempt to browse though computers on the network, i can only see
their names, but i dont have access to them, it says that i don't have the
rights (i already tried sharing Everything). I can ping to my 64 through any
computer and view everything, but i cant ping from it to anything except my
gateway and NIC (my internet works on all computers). i enabled the file and
printer settings, and i even disabled all firewalls. is it because of my OS,
did i overlook something, or just lack of networking skills... (i read in a
previous discussion on the nvidia firewall, if that were my problem, i
wouldn't be able to see anything on the network right?)

Charlie Russel - MVP

If your chipset is an Nvidia based chipset, please install the NVidia
firewall software, and then UN-install it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Isaurocbr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i cannot seem to get one of my computers to communicate. I am new to the 64
> bit world, and i don't know if this could be the problem. My status is
> this:
> i just installed, MS Pro x64 to one of my computers on my network at home,
> and i cant view any computers through it. Everyone can and has full access
> it. When i attempt to browse though computers on the network, i can only
> see
> their names, but i dont have access to them, it says that i don't have the
> rights (i already tried sharing Everything). I can ping to my 64 through
> any
> computer and view everything, but i cant ping from it to anything except
> my
> gateway and NIC (my internet works on all computers). i enabled the file
> and
> printer settings, and i even disabled all firewalls. is it because of my
> OS,
> did i overlook something, or just lack of networking skills... (i read
> in a
> previous discussion on the nvidia firewall, if that were my problem, i
> wouldn't be able to see anything on the network right?)

chinga69

have you installed the ipx/spx protocol
that should help

--
chinga69

cheers chinga69
chinga69's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=324
View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=62693

Charlie Russel - MVP

There is no need whatsoever to install IPX/SPX.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"chinga69" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> have you installed the ipx/spx protocol
> that should help
>

> --
> chinga69
>
> cheers chinga69
> chinga69's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=324
> View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=62693

=?Utf-8?B?SXNhdXJvY2Jy?=

I have reinstalled the nvidia firewall, and took it uninstalled it about 4
times, the fifth time it let me get into the network. What i don't understand
is that if the firewall wall is installed in my computer, why didn't it allow
me to see other computers, as opposed to not allowing other computers to see
me? By default i would assume that a firewall is to block all incoming
traffic and to allow some outgoing traffic. Well, anyway, i got it working
now, (sigh of relief) thanks.

Colin Barnhorst

Why do you think none of us use it? Buggy, perhaps?

"Isaurocbr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have reinstalled the nvidia firewall, and took it uninstalled it about 4
> times, the fifth time it let me get into the network. What i don't
> understand
> is that if the firewall wall is installed in my computer, why didn't it
> allow
> me to see other computers, as opposed to not allowing other computers to
> see
> me? By default i would assume that a firewall is to block all incoming
> traffic and to allow some outgoing traffic. Well, anyway, i got it
> working
> now, (sigh of relief) thanks.

Charlie Russel - MVP

This thing is a POC and has caused no end of problems for our users here.
There's a reason we all pointed to the same thing. And why none of us use
it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Isaurocbr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have reinstalled the nvidia firewall, and took it uninstalled it about 4
> times, the fifth time it let me get into the network. What i don't
> understand
> is that if the firewall wall is installed in my computer, why didn't it
> allow
> me to see other computers, as opposed to not allowing other computers to
> see
> me? By default i would assume that a firewall is to block all incoming
> traffic and to allow some outgoing traffic. Well, anyway, i got it
> working
> now, (sigh of relief) thanks.

Computerflyer

I will Nth the comments on nVidia firewall. Garbage. See my post
regarding network performance problems, finally attributed to it, in
one direction only

Try Ghostwall (http://www.ghostsecurity.com/ghostwall/) for an
alternative free firewall. It can be a pain setting up rules, but it
appears to be an honest lightweight firewall. No applications
recognition, just port blocking in and out.

Computerflyer

I will Nth the comments on nVidia firewall. Garbage. See my post
regarding network performance problems, finally attributed to it, in
one direction only

Try Ghostwall (http://www.ghostsecurity.com/ghostwall/) for an
alternative free firewall. It can be a pain setting up rules, but it
appears to be an honest lightweight firewall. No applications
recognition, just port blocking in and out.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Why bother - the one built in to XP x64 is quite good, and the Vista x64
version is even better.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64