Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > MS SQL 2000(Multi processor Server)

MS SQL 2000(Multi processor Server)

Aibak

How does MS SQL 2000 numbers the processor,in case if it
is installed in multi processor Server. I mean is it
0,1,2,3 or 1,2,3,4( For a Server with 4 processors
installed).

I have seen some dumps referring to the same.

Plz advise.

Aibak

Neil

"Aibak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:907e01c4333f
$ee131240$(E-Mail Removed):

> How does MS SQL 2000 numbers the processor,in case if it
> is installed in multi processor Server. I mean is it
> 0,1,2,3 or 1,2,3,4( For a Server with 4 processors
> installed).
>
> I have seen some dumps referring to the same.
>
> Plz advise.
>
> Aibak

??? ok first off if you are using dumps you probably have never used the
product. if you had you would use something called Books Online. really
good thing to read.

here...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...a6f79cb1-a420-
445f-8a4b-bd77a7da194b&DisplayLang=en

or

http://tinyurl.com/3yqvr since the last one wraps.

read the section on affinity masks (SQL actually numbers the processors
from 00000001 to 111111111)...

--
Neil MCNGP #30

=?Utf-8?B?Ug==?=

----- Neil wrote: ----

"Aibak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:907e01c4333
$ee131240$(E-Mail Removed)

> How does MS SQL 2000 numbers the processor,in case if it
> is installed in multi processor Server. I mean is it
> 0,1,2,3 or 1,2,3,4( For a Server with 4 processors
> installed)
>> I have seen some dumps referring to the same
>> Plz advise
>> Aiba

??? ok first off if you are using dumps you probably have never used the
product. if you had you would use something called Books Online. really
good thing to read

here..
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...=a6f79cb1-a420
445f-8a4b-bd77a7da194b&DisplayLang=e

http://tinyurl.com/3yqvr since the last one wraps

read the section on affinity masks (SQL actually numbers the processors
from 00000001 to 111111111)..

--
Neil MCNGP #3
"you'd do what, to who, for how many biscuits?

But, when you view the properties of a server in EM, and go to the processors tab, they are listed from 0 (CPU 0, CPU 1, CPU 2, CPU 3)

Neil

"=?Utf-8?B?Ug==?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> ----- Neil wrote: -----
>
> "Aibak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:907e01c4333f $ee131240$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > How does MS SQL 2000 numbers the processor,in case if it
> > is installed in multi processor Server. I mean is it
> > 0,1,2,3 or 1,2,3,4( For a Server with 4 processors
> > installed).
> >> I have seen some dumps referring to the same.
> >> Plz advise.
> >> Aibak

> ??? ok first off if you are using dumps you probably have never
> used the product. if you had you would use something called Books
> Online. really good thing to read.
>
> here...
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...lyID=a6f79cb1-
> a420- 445f-8a4b-bd77a7da194b&DisplayLang=en
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3yqvr since the last one wraps.
>
> read the section on affinity masks (SQL actually numbers the
> processors from 00000001 to 111111111)...
>

> --
> Neil MCNGP #30
>

> But, when you view the properties of a server in EM, and go to the
> processors tab, they are listed from 0 (CPU 0, CPU 1, CPU 2, CPU 3)

all depends on how you are looking at it. yes in a GUI this is how it is
listed. Affinity masks will allow you to regulate which processor SQL uses.
here the mask is set in decimal and then converted to binary. how does SQL
count processor? doesn't matter. the question should have been how does
Microsoft number the porcesors. in which case they start at 0 and count up.
(not just in SQL either. have a look at a task manager on a multiprocessor
box. go to the processes tab, right click a running process and choose set
affinity)

--
Neil MCNGP #30

>the question should have been how does
>Microsoft number the porcesors.

... and what licensing issues are involed.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

Neil

news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>the question should have been how does
>>Microsoft number the porcesors.

> .. and what licensing issues are involed.
>
> Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

cripes Kline, even M$ can't answer those questions....

(at least not without a few lawyers present)

--
Neil MCNGP #30

>cripes Kline, even M$ can't answer those questions....
>
>(at least not without a few lawyers present)

oh yes, that's not forget those nice helpful lawyers!

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3