Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Activating XP x64?

Activating XP x64?

Tony Sperling

Hi!

This is a dual-boot setup, can anyone tell me why XP x64 refuses to contact
the activation server, when the Vista installation is having Internet up and
running?

Tony. . .

Bruce Chambers

Tony Sperling wrote:
> Hi!
>
> This is a dual-boot setup, can anyone tell me why XP x64 refuses to contact
> the activation server, when the Vista installation is having Internet up and
> running?
>

> Tony. . .

How do you connect to the Internet? Do you have WinXPx64-specific
drivers for your network adapter installed?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Colin Barnhorst

Is your mobo one that has the nVidia firewall (installed or not)?

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi!
>
> This is a dual-boot setup, can anyone tell me why XP x64 refuses to
> contact
> the activation server, when the Vista installation is having Internet up
> and
> running?
>

> Tony. . .

Charlie Russel - MVP

What Colin said, Tony. Nvidia chipset? The activation is 32-bit, I think...

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi!
>
> This is a dual-boot setup, can anyone tell me why XP x64 refuses to
> contact
> the activation server, when the Vista installation is having Internet up
> and
> running?
>

> Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

Goodness! - I have that but I was sure I uninstalled it.

Nothing you guy's could've said would surprise me more. I'll look it over,
thanks!

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What Colin said, Tony. Nvidia chipset? The activation is 32-bit, I

think...

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi!
> >
> > This is a dual-boot setup, can anyone tell me why XP x64 refuses to
> > contact
> > the activation server, when the Vista installation is having Internet up
> > and
> > running?
> >

> > Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

O.K. - I've figured out what probably happened. . .when installing that
Vista, I inserted the Asus System CD and wanted to see if any of that
installed, it pretty much looked as though it didn't and I must have thought
that was more or less what I expected and forgot all about it.

Apparently, this was enough for it to creep in - strange! I am removing
Vista, by the way. Installed Win2K on to a small partition on the first IDE,
and will re-install XP x64 on the remaining two as RAID0 and activate before
it runs old. Finally, I'll install a 64bit Gentoo system next to Win2K - it
seems this will accomodate for all their separate personalities. I hope!

Thanks!

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What Colin said, Tony. Nvidia chipset? The activation is 32-bit, I

think...

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi!
> >
> > This is a dual-boot setup, can anyone tell me why XP x64 refuses to
> > contact
> > the activation server, when the Vista installation is having Internet up
> > and
> > running?
> >

> > Tony. . .

Charlie Russel - MVP

Gotcha!

Glad we have it sorted.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> O.K. - I've figured out what probably happened. . .when installing that
> Vista, I inserted the Asus System CD and wanted to see if any of that
> installed, it pretty much looked as though it didn't and I must have
> thought
> that was more or less what I expected and forgot all about it.
>
> Apparently, this was enough for it to creep in - strange! I am removing
> Vista, by the way. Installed Win2K on to a small partition on the first
> IDE,
> and will re-install XP x64 on the remaining two as RAID0 and activate
> before
> it runs old. Finally, I'll install a 64bit Gentoo system next to Win2K -
> it
> seems this will accomodate for all their separate personalities. I hope!
>
> Thanks!
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What Colin said, Tony. Nvidia chipset? The activation is 32-bit, I

> think...
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > This is a dual-boot setup, can anyone tell me why XP x64 refuses to
>> > contact
>> > the activation server, when the Vista installation is having Internet
>> > up
>> > and
>> > running?
>> >

>> > Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

Yes, I can hardly contain myself!

Honestly though, I'm not sure I will notice the effect, but it is a good
feeling to know it widens the bottleneck. And there'll be room enough to
throw in a Vista if they decide to release a 'trial' after all.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> RAID0!!!
> Get ready for speed, Tony.
> Carlos
>
> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>
> > O.K. - I've figured out what probably happened. . .when installing that
> > Vista, I inserted the Asus System CD and wanted to see if any of that
> > installed, it pretty much looked as though it didn't and I must have

thought
> > that was more or less what I expected and forgot all about it.
> >
> > Apparently, this was enough for it to creep in - strange! I am removing
> > Vista, by the way. Installed Win2K on to a small partition on the first

IDE,
> > and will re-install XP x64 on the remaining two as RAID0 and activate

before
> > it runs old. Finally, I'll install a 64bit Gentoo system next to Win2K -

it
> > seems this will accomodate for all their separate personalities. I hope!
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > What Colin said, Tony. Nvidia chipset? The activation is 32-bit, I

> > think...
> > >
> > > --
> > > Charlie.
> > > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> > >

> > > "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Internet up

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Just wait till you see the moving bars in XP x64 boot screen.
You wiil hardly see it.
Login screen will show up a few secs later.
Carlos

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> Yes, I can hardly contain myself!
>
> Honestly though, I'm not sure I will notice the effect, but it is a good
> feeling to know it widens the bottleneck. And there'll be room enough to
> throw in a Vista if they decide to release a 'trial' after all.
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > RAID0!!!
> > Get ready for speed, Tony.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Tony Sperling" wrote:
> >
> > > O.K. - I've figured out what probably happened. . .when installing that
> > > Vista, I inserted the Asus System CD and wanted to see if any of that
> > > installed, it pretty much looked as though it didn't and I must have

> thought
> > > that was more or less what I expected and forgot all about it.
> > >
> > > Apparently, this was enough for it to creep in - strange! I am removing
> > > Vista, by the way. Installed Win2K on to a small partition on the first

> IDE,
> > > and will re-install XP x64 on the remaining two as RAID0 and activate

> before
> > > it runs old. Finally, I'll install a 64bit Gentoo system next to Win2K -

> it
> > > seems this will accomodate for all their separate personalities. I hope!
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >

> > > Tony. . .
> > >

> > > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > think...

> Internet up

Tony Sperling

That's true, software loading and installation is where you really may see a
difference, I just installed W2K today, on the IDE - things that used to
take half an hour a few years ago was made to short shrift in a matter of
seconds - this machine really is fast, it's just hard to believe it is
waiting for anything as it is.

I'm having trouble with C&Q, here - I may have to go over it again before I
begin RAID'ing for real?

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...