Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Install 32 bit Version of XP Pro after x64

Install 32 bit Version of XP Pro after x64

Tom Ferguson

I am puzzled. Why don't you simply install the new drive as slave, then
use the Disk Manager of the present installation to set up the new
drive. Next, install XP Pro 32 with the old drive connected. That way
the installer will set up the dual boot for you.

Usually, one would try to install the OSs in order of release; however,
I believe the 64 and 32 bit versions of XP use the same boot loader.
Now, mix in Windows 9x, older NT up to Windows 2000 or Longhorn/Vista
and, the situation changes.

There are only two reasons I can think of for disconnecting the original
HS before the install of XP Pro 32: 1) you have fear that somehow the
installation procedure for the 2nd OS will corrupt the first; 2) you
want to use something other than the XP boot manager.

That aside, nothing wrong with what you outline but why complicate
matters? Is there something I have overlooked in all of this?

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"CBNelson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I upgrade my computers (2) ever 3 years or so. Last year I upgraded to
>dual
> core ... and had xp pro x64 installed. This works good for me. However
> my
> wife is having dificulty with some websites. I am going to try
> uninstalling
> the NVida firewall and see if that works for her. I did buy two full
> copies
> of the 32 bit XP Pro to install on both computers. My thoughts are
> that I
> install a new HD and disconect the x 64 drive. Install the 32 bit o/s
> on the
> new drive. Set the new drive as a slave, and reinstall the x64 drive.
> Now
> from there how do I get the dual boot to work?
>
> btw I am a not an IT professional, just a hobbiest.

Theo

Win XP Pro 32-bit cannot set up a dual boot with Win x64
already installed because it cannot recognize the newer
operating system. If Win XP Pro 32-bit is already installed
(the older OS) and you then install Win x64 (the newer OS)
on a separate drive or partition, Win x64 does recognize the
older OS and configures the Boot.Ini for dual booting.

Tom Ferguson wrote:
> I am puzzled. Why don't you simply install the new drive as slave, then
> use the Disk Manager of the present installation to set up the new
> drive. Next, install XP Pro 32 with the old drive connected. That way
> the installer will set up the dual boot for you.
>
> Usually, one would try to install the OSs in order of release; however,
> I believe the 64 and 32 bit versions of XP use the same boot loader.
> Now, mix in Windows 9x, older NT up to Windows 2000 or Longhorn/Vista
> and, the situation changes.
>
> There are only two reasons I can think of for disconnecting the original
> HS before the install of XP Pro 32: 1) you have fear that somehow the
> installation procedure for the 2nd OS will corrupt the first; 2) you
> want to use something other than the XP boot manager.
>
> That aside, nothing wrong with what you outline but why complicate
> matters? Is there something I have overlooked in all of this?
>

> Tom
> MSMVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "CBNelson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I upgrade my computers (2) ever 3 years or so. Last year I upgraded to
>> dual
>> core ... and had xp pro x64 installed. This works good for me. However my
>> wife is having dificulty with some websites. I am going to try
>> uninstalling
>> the NVida firewall and see if that works for her. I did buy two full
>> copies
>> of the 32 bit XP Pro to install on both computers. My thoughts are that I
>> install a new HD and disconect the x 64 drive. Install the 32 bit o/s
>> on the
>> new drive. Set the new drive as a slave, and reinstall the x64 drive. Now
>> from there how do I get the dual boot to work?
>>
>> btw I am a not an IT professional, just a hobbiest.

Tom Ferguson

Thank you for your reply. This reply reflects the usual advice on the
topic, contains only assertion; it is well-intentioned and well-founded
assertion but assertion nonetheless; and is only partly correct.

I suspect you have not actually tried to do what you claim is not
possible _with _ _Windows_ _XP64_ _and_ _Windows_ _XP32_. If you had,
you would have discovered that you can install Windows pro 64 and then,
when that installation is complete or at some future time, install
Windows XP Pro 32 bit. As part of that procedure, one must select a
drive (real or logical) that does not contain another operating system.
When you have finished the installation of the 32 bit system, you will
have a dual booting system using the Windows XP boot manager.

I have done it more than once.

To forestall misunderstanding, I repeat that this is an exception to the
usual best-practice recommendation of installing OSs in order of
release.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Win XP Pro 32-bit cannot set up a dual boot with Win x64 already
> installed because it cannot recognize the newer operating system. If
> Win XP Pro 32-bit is already installed (the older OS) and you then
> install Win x64 (the newer OS) on a separate drive or partition, Win
> x64 does recognize the older OS and configures the Boot.Ini for dual
> booting.
>
> Tom Ferguson wrote:
>> I am puzzled. Why don't you simply install the new drive as slave,
>> then use the Disk Manager of the present installation to set up the
>> new drive. Next, install XP Pro 32 with the old drive connected. That
>> way the installer will set up the dual boot for you.
>>
>> Usually, one would try to install the OSs in order of release;
>> however, I believe the 64 and 32 bit versions of XP use the same boot
>> loader. Now, mix in Windows 9x, older NT up to Windows 2000 or
>> Longhorn/Vista and, the situation changes.
>>
>> There are only two reasons I can think of for disconnecting the
>> original HS before the install of XP Pro 32: 1) you have fear that
>> somehow the installation procedure for the 2nd OS will corrupt the
>> first; 2) you want to use something other than the XP boot manager.
>>
>> That aside, nothing wrong with what you outline but why complicate
>> matters? Is there something I have overlooked in all of this?
>>

>> Tom
>> MSMVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "CBNelson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I upgrade my computers (2) ever 3 years or so. Last year I upgraded
>>> to dual
>>> core ... and had xp pro x64 installed. This works good for me.
>>> However my
>>> wife is having dificulty with some websites. I am going to try
>>> uninstalling
>>> the NVida firewall and see if that works for her. I did buy two full
>>> copies
>>> of the 32 bit XP Pro to install on both computers. My thoughts are
>>> that I
>>> install a new HD and disconect the x 64 drive. Install the 32 bit
>>> o/s on the
>>> new drive. Set the new drive as a slave, and reinstall the x64
>>> drive. Now
>>> from there how do I get the dual boot to work?
>>>
>>> btw I am a not an IT professional, just a hobbiest.

John Barnes

Sorry Tom, but when you install XP86 after X64 with X64 still visible to
allow dual booting, the ntldr and ntdetect.com files are overwritten and the
ntldr file from the X86 install does not recognize X64 and therefore you
cannot boot into X64.

"Tom Ferguson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OM317y$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you for your reply. This reply reflects the usual advice on the
> topic, contains only assertion; it is well-intentioned and well-founded
> assertion but assertion nonetheless; and is only partly correct.
>
> I suspect you have not actually tried to do what you claim is not possible
> _with _ _Windows_ _XP64_ _and_ _Windows_ _XP32_. If you had, you would
> have discovered that you can install Windows pro 64 and then, when that
> installation is complete or at some future time, install Windows XP Pro 32
> bit. As part of that procedure, one must select a drive (real or logical)
> that does not contain another operating system. When you have finished the
> installation of the 32 bit system, you will have a dual booting system
> using the Windows XP boot manager.
>
> I have done it more than once.
>
> To forestall misunderstanding, I repeat that this is an exception to the
> usual best-practice recommendation of installing OSs in order of release.
>
> Tom
> MSMVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Win XP Pro 32-bit cannot set up a dual boot with Win x64 already
>> installed because it cannot recognize the newer operating system. If Win
>> XP Pro 32-bit is already installed (the older OS) and you then install
>> Win x64 (the newer OS) on a separate drive or partition, Win x64 does
>> recognize the older OS and configures the Boot.Ini for dual booting.
>>
>> Tom Ferguson wrote:
>>> I am puzzled. Why don't you simply install the new drive as slave, then
>>> use the Disk Manager of the present installation to set up the new
>>> drive. Next, install XP Pro 32 with the old drive connected. That way
>>> the installer will set up the dual boot for you.
>>>
>>> Usually, one would try to install the OSs in order of release; however,
>>> I believe the 64 and 32 bit versions of XP use the same boot loader.
>>> Now, mix in Windows 9x, older NT up to Windows 2000 or Longhorn/Vista
>>> and, the situation changes.
>>>
>>> There are only two reasons I can think of for disconnecting the original
>>> HS before the install of XP Pro 32: 1) you have fear that somehow the
>>> installation procedure for the 2nd OS will corrupt the first; 2) you
>>> want to use something other than the XP boot manager.
>>>
>>> That aside, nothing wrong with what you outline but why complicate
>>> matters? Is there something I have overlooked in all of this?
>>>

>>> Tom
>>> MSMVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>>>

>>> "CBNelson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Tom Ferguson

How foolish of me to believe the evidence of my own eyes.

So, when I took some time yesterday to:

1) delete every partition from the three drives of one of my computers;
2) used Acronis Disk Director to create one primary partition on each
drive;
3) installed Windows XP 64 bit with disk 1 as system (startup/boot
files) and 2 as boot volume (OS files);
4) installed Windows XP 32 bit with disk 3 as boot volume and 1 still as
system;

and ended up with a dual-booting system using the Windows XP boot
loader, I was actually living in a not-so-parallel universe where the
"usual rules", those you and others have stated, did not apply.

As I have written twice before-it does work. I have done it.

Is it that you simply do not believe me?

I suggest you try it.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry Tom, but when you install XP86 after X64 with X64 still visible
> to allow dual booting, the ntldr and ntdetect.com files are
> overwritten and the ntldr file from the X86 install does not recognize
> X64 and therefore you cannot boot into X64.
>

> "Tom Ferguson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OM317y$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thank you for your reply. This reply reflects the usual advice on the
>> topic, contains only assertion; it is well-intentioned and
>> well-founded assertion but assertion nonetheless; and is only partly
>> correct.
>>
>> I suspect you have not actually tried to do what you claim is not
>> possible _with _ _Windows_ _XP64_ _and_ _Windows_ _XP32_. If you
>> had, you would have discovered that you can install Windows pro 64
>> and then, when that installation is complete or at some future time,
>> install Windows XP Pro 32 bit. As part of that procedure, one must
>> select a drive (real or logical) that does not contain another
>> operating system. When you have finished the installation of the 32
>> bit system, you will have a dual booting system using the Windows XP
>> boot manager.
>>
>> I have done it more than once.
>>
>> To forestall misunderstanding, I repeat that this is an exception to
>> the usual best-practice recommendation of installing OSs in order of
>> release.
>>
>> Tom
>> MSMVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Win XP Pro 32-bit cannot set up a dual boot with Win x64 already
>>> installed because it cannot recognize the newer operating system.
>>> If Win XP Pro 32-bit is already installed (the older OS) and you
>>> then install Win x64 (the newer OS) on a separate drive or
>>> partition, Win x64 does recognize the older OS and configures the
>>> Boot.Ini for dual booting.

Theo

I guess you're just really lucky. While the Beta was
available and after RTM, there were many who tried
installing x64 first and then x86 who ended up without the
capability to dual boot initially. Charlie Russel posted a
web page about dual booting that includes information on
order of installation.

http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../21/76180.aspx

And I did try it, but it didn't work your way!

Tom Ferguson wrote:
> How foolish of me to believe the evidence of my own eyes.
>
> So, when I took some time yesterday to:
>
> 1) delete every partition from the three drives of one of my computers;
> 2) used Acronis Disk Director to create one primary partition on each
> drive;
> 3) installed Windows XP 64 bit with disk 1 as system (startup/boot
> files) and 2 as boot volume (OS files);
> 4) installed Windows XP 32 bit with disk 3 as boot volume and 1 still as
> system;
>
> and ended up with a dual-booting system using the Windows XP boot
> loader, I was actually living in a not-so-parallel universe where the
> "usual rules", those you and others have stated, did not apply.
>
> As I have written twice before-it does work. I have done it.
>
> Is it that you simply do not believe me?
>
> I suggest you try it.
>
> Tom
> MSMVP
> Windows Shell/User

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sorry Tom, but when you install XP86 after X64 with X64 still visible
>> to allow dual booting, the ntldr and ntdetect.com files are
>> overwritten and the ntldr file from the X86 install does not recognize
>> X64 and therefore you cannot boot into X64.
>>

>> "Tom Ferguson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:OM317y$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thank you for your reply. This reply reflects the usual advice on the
>>> topic, contains only assertion; it is well-intentioned and
>>> well-founded assertion but assertion nonetheless; and is only partly
>>> correct.
>>>
>>> I suspect you have not actually tried to do what you claim is not
>>> possible _with _ _Windows_ _XP64_ _and_ _Windows_ _XP32_. If you
>>> had, you would have discovered that you can install Windows pro 64
>>> and then, when that installation is complete or at some future time,
>>> install Windows XP Pro 32 bit. As part of that procedure, one must
>>> select a drive (real or logical) that does not contain another
>>> operating system. When you have finished the installation of the 32
>>> bit system, you will have a dual booting system using the Windows XP
>>> boot manager.
>>>
>>> I have done it more than once.
>>>
>>> To forestall misunderstanding, I repeat that this is an exception to
>>> the usual best-practice recommendation of installing OSs in order of
>>> release.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>> MSMVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>>>

>>> "Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

John Barnes

Not to doubt your success, let's speculate why you are able to do so and
most are not.

Perhaps Microsoft started including the newer version of ntldr on X86 disks
at some point after the release of X64. Those with older versions of XP
won't work. Mine version of XP86 was released in December of 2004 with SP2
included and version of ntldr is dated Wednesday, ‎August ‎04, ‎2004,
‏‎4:00:00 AM.

What is the date on the ntldr file on your XP86 in the I386 folder?

The other possibility is Microsoft in later versions included a date check
in the install program that would bypass rewriting the ntldr file if the one
present is a later version. This I would assume unlikely, but possible.

"Tom Ferguson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How foolish of me to believe the evidence of my own eyes.
>
> So, when I took some time yesterday to:
>
> 1) delete every partition from the three drives of one of my computers;
> 2) used Acronis Disk Director to create one primary partition on each
> drive;
> 3) installed Windows XP 64 bit with disk 1 as system (startup/boot files)
> and 2 as boot volume (OS files);
> 4) installed Windows XP 32 bit with disk 3 as boot volume and 1 still as
> system;
>
> and ended up with a dual-booting system using the Windows XP boot loader,
> I was actually living in a not-so-parallel universe where the "usual
> rules", those you and others have stated, did not apply.
>
> As I have written twice before-it does work. I have done it.
>
> Is it that you simply do not believe me?
>
> I suggest you try it.
>
> Tom
> MSMVP
> Windows Shell/User

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sorry Tom, but when you install XP86 after X64 with X64 still visible to
>> allow dual booting, the ntldr and ntdetect.com files are overwritten and
>> the ntldr file from the X86 install does not recognize X64 and therefore
>> you cannot boot into X64.
>>

>> "Tom Ferguson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:OM317y$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thank you for your reply. This reply reflects the usual advice on the
>>> topic, contains only assertion; it is well-intentioned and well-founded
>>> assertion but assertion nonetheless; and is only partly correct.
>>>
>>> I suspect you have not actually tried to do what you claim is not
>>> possible _with _ _Windows_ _XP64_ _and_ _Windows_ _XP32_. If you had,
>>> you would have discovered that you can install Windows pro 64 and then,
>>> when that installation is complete or at some future time, install
>>> Windows XP Pro 32 bit. As part of that procedure, one must select a
>>> drive (real or logical) that does not contain another operating system.
>>> When you have finished the installation of the 32 bit system, you will
>>> have a dual booting system using the Windows XP boot manager.
>>>
>>> I have done it more than once.
>>>
>>> To forestall misunderstanding, I repeat that this is an exception to the
>>> usual best-practice recommendation of installing OSs in order of
>>> release.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>> MSMVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>>>

>>> "Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

If it does it, perhaps he also used Acronis to create a partition manager.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not to doubt your success, let's speculate why you are able to do so and
> most are not.
>
> Perhaps Microsoft started including the newer version of ntldr on X86
> disks at some point after the release of X64. Those with older versions
> of XP won't work. Mine version of XP86 was released in December of 2004
> with SP2 included and version of ntldr is dated Wednesday, ‎August ‎04,
> ‎2004, ‏‎4:00:00 AM.
>
> What is the date on the ntldr file on your XP86 in the I386 folder?
>
> The other possibility is Microsoft in later versions included a date check
> in the install program that would bypass rewriting the ntldr file if the
> one present is a later version. This I would assume unlikely, but
> possible.
>

> "Tom Ferguson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How foolish of me to believe the evidence of my own eyes.
>>
>> So, when I took some time yesterday to:
>>
>> 1) delete every partition from the three drives of one of my computers;
>> 2) used Acronis Disk Director to create one primary partition on each
>> drive;
>> 3) installed Windows XP 64 bit with disk 1 as system (startup/boot files)
>> and 2 as boot volume (OS files);
>> 4) installed Windows XP 32 bit with disk 3 as boot volume and 1 still as
>> system;
>>
>> and ended up with a dual-booting system using the Windows XP boot loader,
>> I was actually living in a not-so-parallel universe where the "usual
>> rules", those you and others have stated, did not apply.
>>
>> As I have written twice before-it does work. I have done it.
>>
>> Is it that you simply do not believe me?
>>
>> I suggest you try it.
>>
>> Tom
>> MSMVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Sorry Tom, but when you install XP86 after X64 with X64 still visible to
>>> allow dual booting, the ntldr and ntdetect.com files are overwritten and
>>> the ntldr file from the X86 install does not recognize X64 and therefore
>>> you cannot boot into X64.
>>>

>>> "Tom Ferguson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:OM317y$(E-Mail Removed)...

John Barnes

Except that he has XP dual boot when done. If he used Acronis to make the
older ntldr install on another than the system drive, the boot.ini on the
system drive wouldn't be updated with both systems.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If it does it, perhaps he also used Acronis to create a partition manager.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Not to doubt your success, let's speculate why you are able to do so and
>> most are not.
>>
>> Perhaps Microsoft started including the newer version of ntldr on X86
>> disks at some point after the release of X64. Those with older versions
>> of XP won't work. Mine version of XP86 was released in December of 2004
>> with SP2 included and version of ntldr is dated Wednesday, ‎August ‎04,
>> ‎2004, ‏‎4:00:00 AM.
>>
>> What is the date on the ntldr file on your XP86 in the I386 folder?
>>
>> The other possibility is Microsoft in later versions included a date
>> check in the install program that would bypass rewriting the ntldr file
>> if the one present is a later version. This I would assume unlikely, but
>> possible.
>>

>> "Tom Ferguson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> How foolish of me to believe the evidence of my own eyes.
>>>
>>> So, when I took some time yesterday to:
>>>
>>> 1) delete every partition from the three drives of one of my computers;
>>> 2) used Acronis Disk Director to create one primary partition on each
>>> drive;
>>> 3) installed Windows XP 64 bit with disk 1 as system (startup/boot
>>> files) and 2 as boot volume (OS files);
>>> 4) installed Windows XP 32 bit with disk 3 as boot volume and 1 still as
>>> system;
>>>
>>> and ended up with a dual-booting system using the Windows XP boot
>>> loader, I was actually living in a not-so-parallel universe where the
>>> "usual rules", those you and others have stated, did not apply.
>>>
>>> As I have written twice before-it does work. I have done it.
>>>
>>> Is it that you simply do not believe me?
>>>
>>> I suggest you try it.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>> MSMVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Tom Ferguson

I have read the subsequent replies from Theo, John, Colin, and John
(second reply). Here I add some information that might be useful in
understanding what is and is not happening.

Windows XP 32 bit is SP 2, Windows XP 64 bit is SP1. So, as I am
confident you all know, both are at the same "patch level" despite the
different SP designation.

After installation of XP 64 bit, ntdetect.com and ntldr are dated
3/25/2005. After installing XP Pro 32 bit, the dates are the same.

Not only do both systems appear on the XP boot menu, each will boot
properly when selected. If you later install Vista (either 32 or 64 bit
or one after the other), Vista will set up its boot loader with a
reference to earlier OSs. Selecting that during boot will cause the
Vista boot loader to pass control to the XP loader just as happens if
you set it all up installing strictly in the order of issue.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User