Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: unwanted drivers at boot

Re: unwanted drivers at boot

Dominic Payer

In Device Manager, uninstall the device.
In Vista - assuming no change from the beta versions - you will be given the
option to remove the driver from the system.

"Colin Maddocks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I installed Vista Business (x64) on a hard-drive attached to a Promise
> Fastrack 378 RAID controller. Everytime i booted the machine i had to
> press
> F8 to bring up the Vista startup menu, and select the option that meant
> drivers didn't have to be digitally signed. I have since moved the
> hard-drive
> over to a new controller, but the driver is still initialised at boot. I
> am
> reminded every time that the driver cannot be loaded because it is not
> digitally signed (as x64 requires all drivers to be signed). How do i get
> this driver off the system?
>
> Many thanks,
> Colin Maddocks.

=?Utf-8?B?Q29saW4gTWFkZG9ja3M=?=

I have stopped using the Fastrack device and instead am using a Via
controller. This means the device is not listed in Device Manager, but for
some reason the OS still loads it at boot because i keep getting the driver
not signed screen. I cannot move my hard-drive back to Fastrack device to
then delete it as it will de-activate Windows (as i found out when i moved it
over to Via controller in the first place). I just want to stop Vista loading
the drivers for this device, especially as it's now been physically removed!

Colin Maddocks.

"Dominic Payer" wrote:

> In Device Manager, uninstall the device.
> In Vista - assuming no change from the beta versions - you will be given the
> option to remove the driver from the system.
>

> "Colin Maddocks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I installed Vista Business (x64) on a hard-drive attached to a Promise
> > Fastrack 378 RAID controller. Everytime i booted the machine i had to
> > press
> > F8 to bring up the Vista startup menu, and select the option that meant
> > drivers didn't have to be digitally signed. I have since moved the
> > hard-drive
> > over to a new controller, but the driver is still initialised at boot. I
> > am
> > reminded every time that the driver cannot be loaded because it is not
> > digitally signed (as x64 requires all drivers to be signed). How do i get
> > this driver off the system?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > Colin Maddocks.

Dominic Payer

See http://www.w-tweaks.com/html/vista-tuning.html and set the system
variable.

Then, in Device Manager, check the "Show hidden devices" option and you
should see the Fastrack device and be able to uninstall it.

The Fastrack device may be visible if you just check the "Show hidden
devices" option .

"Colin Maddocks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have stopped using the Fastrack device and instead am using a Via
> controller. This means the device is not listed in Device Manager, but for
> some reason the OS still loads it at boot because i keep getting the
> driver
> not signed screen. I cannot move my hard-drive back to Fastrack device to
> then delete it as it will de-activate Windows (as i found out when i moved
> it
> over to Via controller in the first place). I just want to stop Vista
> the drivers for this device, especially as it's now been physically
> removed!
>
> Colin Maddocks.
>
> "Dominic Payer" wrote:
>
>> In Device Manager, uninstall the device.
>> In Vista - assuming no change from the beta versions - you will be given
>> the
>> option to remove the driver from the system.
>>

>> "Colin Maddocks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I installed Vista Business (x64) on a hard-drive attached to a Promise
>> > Fastrack 378 RAID controller. Everytime i booted the machine i had to
>> > press
>> > F8 to bring up the Vista startup menu, and select the option that meant
>> > drivers didn't have to be digitally signed. I have since moved the
>> > hard-drive
>> > over to a new controller, but the driver is still initialised at boot.
>> > am
>> > reminded every time that the driver cannot be loaded because it is not
>> > digitally signed (as x64 requires all drivers to be signed). How do i
>> > get
>> > this driver off the system?
>> >
>> > Many thanks,
>> > Colin Maddocks.