Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows XP 64 bit CD rom driver installation

Windows XP 64 bit CD rom driver installation

Gott

When I try to install my CD rom drive under Windows XP 64 bit version the
hardware install program keeps telling me there is no driver available.
The drive manufacturer's web site says the drive uses the drivers provided
by Windows XP and provides no drivers or even a reference to the Windows
XP 64 bit version. How do I install my CD rom drives under windows XP 64
bit version?

Colin Barnhorst

What is the drive doing? Why are you trying to install a driver? You
shouldn't have to.

"Gott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ON2Qn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I try to install my CD rom drive under Windows XP 64 bit version the
> hardware install program keeps telling me there is no driver available.
> The drive manufacturer's web site says the drive uses the drivers provided
> by Windows XP and provides no drivers or even a reference to the Windows
> XP 64 bit version. How do I install my CD rom drives under windows XP 64
> bit version?

Charlie Russel - MVP

What Colin said. The only exception I can think of that might require a
driver is if your drive is a SATA drive and connects to a SATA controller
that isn't being used by any hard drives yet, so therefore the system
doesn't have the drivers for that controller loaded.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Gott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ON2Qn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I try to install my CD rom drive under Windows XP 64 bit version the
> hardware install program keeps telling me there is no driver available.
> The drive manufacturer's web site says the drive uses the drivers provided
> by Windows XP and provides no drivers or even a reference to the Windows
> XP 64 bit version. How do I install my CD rom drives under windows XP 64
> bit version?

John Barnes

Also, X64 has problems with some USB devices. If it is USB or in a USB
case, you may not be able to use it.

"Gott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ON2Qn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I try to install my CD rom drive under Windows XP 64 bit version the
> hardware install program keeps telling me there is no driver available.
> The drive manufacturer's web site says the drive uses the drivers provided
> by Windows XP and provides no drivers or even a reference to the Windows
> XP 64 bit version. How do I install my CD rom drives under windows XP 64
> bit version?

John Barnes

Did you have the problem from the install or did this problem arise later.
There are several items that have caused your problem in the past. Kodak
EasyShare installation and other writing programs that set upper and lower
filters.
You can check in Device Manager to check to see if you have any filters.
Check driver details for upper and lower filters.

"deafbus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have read Gott's 2 calls for help and Charlies, Collins & John's answers.
> They have nothing to do with SATA or USB's. I have the same problems as
> Gott.
> The Windows XPPro- 32 bit and the Windows Vista 64-bit recognizes the DVD/
> CD
> writer with no problems. The Windows XPPro 64-Bit does not recognize it.
> In
> the Device Manager there is the ( ! ) by the ATAP DVD 8X4X12. uninstall/
> reinstall drivers doesen't help. Neither does unplugging/ changing the
> ribbon, Master or Slave and as allways booting and rebooting as required.
> Is
> there anything that I can do? After the Vista times out and taken from
> this
> computer, Will doing an inplace reinstall of XPPro-64 Help it recognize
> the
> CD/DvD??
>
> "Gott" wrote:
>
>> When I try to install my CD rom drive under Windows XP 64 bit version
>> the
>> hardware install program keeps telling me there is no driver available.
>> The drive manufacturer's web site says the drive uses the drivers
>> provided
>> by Windows XP and provides no drivers or even a reference to the Windows
>> XP 64 bit version. How do I install my CD rom drives under windows XP 64
>> bit version?

=?Utf-8?B?ZGVhZmJ1cw==?=

Thanks, Mr. John Barns: I bet that was Kodak that did that. I didn't rember
when the problem started. This is a Triboot and have installed a new Kodak on
this Version. Ok, now upper and lower filters on what in Device Manager. On
the DVD/CD writer, there are drivers listed but the DVD/CD cannot be found.
In my Computer, It is not listed.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Did you have the problem from the install or did this problem arise later.
> There are several items that have caused your problem in the past. Kodak
> EasyShare installation and other writing programs that set upper and lower
> filters.
> You can check in Device Manager to check to see if you have any filters.
> Check driver details for upper and lower filters.
>
> "deafbus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have read Gott's 2 calls for help and Charlies, Collins & John's answers.
> > They have nothing to do with SATA or USB's. I have the same problems as
> > Gott.
> > The Windows XPPro- 32 bit and the Windows Vista 64-bit recognizes the DVD/
> > CD
> > writer with no problems. The Windows XPPro 64-Bit does not recognize it.
> > In
> > the Device Manager there is the ( ! ) by the ATAP DVD 8X4X12. uninstall/
> > reinstall drivers doesen't help. Neither does unplugging/ changing the
> > ribbon, Master or Slave and as allways booting and rebooting as required.
> > Is
> > there anything that I can do? After the Vista times out and taken from
> > this
> > computer, Will doing an inplace reinstall of XPPro-64 Help it recognize
> > the
> > CD/DvD??
> >
> > "Gott" wrote:
> >
> >> When I try to install my CD rom drive under Windows XP 64 bit version
> >> the
> >> hardware install program keeps telling me there is no driver available.
> >> The drive manufacturer's web site says the drive uses the drivers
> >> provided
> >> by Windows XP and provides no drivers or even a reference to the Windows
> >> XP 64 bit version. How do I install my CD rom drives under windows XP 64
> >> bit version?

John Barnes

If I remember uninstalling EasyShare did not resolve the problem. The
solution offered then, was to do a system restore to just before installing
it. If your installation was a long time ago, that may not be practical.

I don't have any filters installed, so I am going from old memory. In
Device Manager for the drive, click on properties. On the far right, there
is a details tab, on property section, click on the down arrow and look for
upper filters and lower filters and see if you have a value in either if
they are present. If so, make a note of them. Let us know what your
results are.

"deafbus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, Mr. John Barns: I bet that was Kodak that did that. I didn't
> rember
> when the problem started. This is a Triboot and have installed a new Kodak
> on
> this Version. Ok, now upper and lower filters on what in Device Manager.
> On
> the DVD/CD writer, there are drivers listed but the DVD/CD cannot be
> found.
> In my Computer, It is not listed.
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Did you have the problem from the install or did this problem arise
>> later.
>> There are several items that have caused your problem in the past. Kodak
>> EasyShare installation and other writing programs that set upper and
>> lower
>> filters.
>> You can check in Device Manager to check to see if you have any filters.
>> Check driver details for upper and lower filters.
>>
>> "deafbus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have read Gott's 2 calls for help and Charlies, Collins & John's
>> >answers.
>> > They have nothing to do with SATA or USB's. I have the same problems as
>> > Gott.
>> > The Windows XPPro- 32 bit and the Windows Vista 64-bit recognizes the
>> > DVD/
>> > CD
>> > writer with no problems. The Windows XPPro 64-Bit does not recognize
>> > it.
>> > In
>> > the Device Manager there is the ( ! ) by the ATAP DVD 8X4X12.
>> > uninstall/
>> > reinstall drivers doesen't help. Neither does unplugging/ changing the
>> > ribbon, Master or Slave and as allways booting and rebooting as
>> > required.
>> > Is
>> > there anything that I can do? After the Vista times out and taken from
>> > this
>> > computer, Will doing an inplace reinstall of XPPro-64 Help it recognize
>> > the
>> > CD/DvD??

John Barnes

I don't remember if there were filters involved in EasyShare, but you might
get some info by using the utility available here.
http://www.bustrace.com/products/devfilter.htm

"deafbus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, Mr. John Barns: I bet that was Kodak that did that. I didn't
> rember
> when the problem started. This is a Triboot and have installed a new Kodak
> on
> this Version. Ok, now upper and lower filters on what in Device Manager.
> On
> the DVD/CD writer, there are drivers listed but the DVD/CD cannot be
> found.
> In my Computer, It is not listed.
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Did you have the problem from the install or did this problem arise
>> later.
>> There are several items that have caused your problem in the past. Kodak
>> EasyShare installation and other writing programs that set upper and
>> lower
>> filters.
>> You can check in Device Manager to check to see if you have any filters.
>> Check driver details for upper and lower filters.
>>
>> "deafbus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have read Gott's 2 calls for help and Charlies, Collins & John's
>> >answers.
>> > They have nothing to do with SATA or USB's. I have the same problems as
>> > Gott.
>> > The Windows XPPro- 32 bit and the Windows Vista 64-bit recognizes the
>> > DVD/
>> > CD
>> > writer with no problems. The Windows XPPro 64-Bit does not recognize
>> > it.
>> > In
>> > the Device Manager there is the ( ! ) by the ATAP DVD 8X4X12.
>> > uninstall/
>> > reinstall drivers doesen't help. Neither does unplugging/ changing the
>> > ribbon, Master or Slave and as allways booting and rebooting as
>> > required.
>> > Is
>> > there anything that I can do? After the Vista times out and taken from
>> > this
>> > computer, Will doing an inplace reinstall of XPPro-64 Help it recognize
>> > the
>> > CD/DvD??

Kue2

Cut from a msg in the group

Try this it worked for me....
This is usually related to a couple of registry keys that somehow need

Thanks to carlos

"deafbus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have read Gott's 2 calls for help and Charlies, Collins & John's answers.
> They have nothing to do with SATA or USB's. I have the same problems as
> Gott.
> The Windows XPPro- 32 bit and the Windows Vista 64-bit recognizes the DVD/
> CD
> writer with no problems. The Windows XPPro 64-Bit does not recognize it.
> In
> the Device Manager there is the ( ! ) by the ATAP DVD 8X4X12. uninstall/
> reinstall drivers doesen't help. Neither does unplugging/ changing the
> ribbon, Master or Slave and as allways booting and rebooting as required.
> Is
> there anything that I can do? After the Vista times out and taken from
> this
> computer, Will doing an inplace reinstall of XPPro-64 Help it recognize
> the
> CD/DvD??
>
> "Gott" wrote:
>
>> When I try to install my CD rom drive under Windows XP 64 bit version
>> the
>> hardware install program keeps telling me there is no driver available.
>> The drive manufacturer's web site says the drive uses the drivers
>> provided
>> by Windows XP and provides no drivers or even a reference to the Windows
>> XP 64 bit version. How do I install my CD rom drives under windows XP 64
>> bit version?

memofromturner

forgive any faux pas i may commit, as i am a noobie. i have tried every
purported solution seen in this forum, and severl from other forums. Dell
Inspiron 531s; TSST Corp. TS-H653A DVD±RW. Upon bootup, it spins as if
possessed, but once Windows kicks in…goodbye. I can write to this drive with
several progs [NOT nero, however]. trouble is, i don't know if what it wrote
is garbage or what i intended, as i cannot, under any circumstances, get it
to read ANY CD or DVD; whether home-grown, or bonafide, certified and
highly-dignified outta the box, purchased software. Yep, I had easyshare.
went through my registry with a fine toothed comb with several utils, and
there is no trace of kodak or easy share in the reg, or on my pyootr. it is
absolutely bewildering why there is no driver available on this
'worldwideweb' than can make any dvd in the cosmos run on 64-bit windows. i
will not point fingers, but someone has truly fumbled the ball; not only is
the ball in their court—they OWN the court.
--
“There is no problem that it cannot be run away from.”
— Charlie Brown, *Peanuts* antihero