Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Installing RAID drives

Installing RAID drives

=?Utf-8?B?Um9tZW9K?=

I'm trying to install 2 Western Digital 250gb hard drives in a RAID 1 setup.
I get it setup fine in the BIOS and RAID setup utility (nVidia RAID on a
Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI mobo), but Windows doesn't show the drive. What do I
need to do to get them setup in Windows???

Dennis Pack

When installing XP or XP x64 you need to use F6 to install the raid drivers
from a floppy.

"RomeoJ" <(E-Mail Removed)*n0_5pam*> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to install 2 Western Digital 250gb hard drives in a RAID 1
> setup.
> I get it setup fine in the BIOS and RAID setup utility (nVidia RAID on a
> Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI mobo), but Windows doesn't show the drive. What do I
> need to do to get them setup in Windows???

=?Utf-8?B?Um9tZW9K?=

I've already got x64 installed on a separate drive. I'm going to copy my old
160gb onto the new 500gb RAID array, but I need Windows to recognize it first!

"Dennis Pack" wrote:

> When installing XP or XP x64 you need to use F6 to install the raid drivers
> from a floppy.
>

> "RomeoJ" <(E-Mail Removed)*n0_5pam*> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm trying to install 2 Western Digital 250gb hard drives in a RAID 1
> > setup.
> > I get it setup fine in the BIOS and RAID setup utility (nVidia RAID on a
> > Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI mobo), but Windows doesn't show the drive. What do I
> > need to do to get them setup in Windows???

Tony Sperling

I would say: You have to do a 'Repair Install' to get to the Floppy Stage.

You should be able to do that on your old system, then when it reaches the
Partition Manager Stage, your new drives will become visible. I think you
should probably finish the normal installation and leave the transfer of the
system until later, since your RAID is configured and ready, they should all
behave like normal HD's after that.

The Repair Install will require that you have all system drivers ready, but
it will not affect your personal files or installed app's.

Tony. . .

"RomeoJ" <(E-Mail Removed)*n0_5pam*> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've already got x64 installed on a separate drive. I'm going to copy my

old
> 160gb onto the new 500gb RAID array, but I need Windows to recognize it

first!

> "Dennis Pack" wrote:
>
> > When installing XP or XP x64 you need to use F6 to install the raid

drivers
> > from a floppy.
> >

> > "RomeoJ" <(E-Mail Removed)*n0_5pam*> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I'm trying to install 2 Western Digital 250gb hard drives in a RAID 1
> > > setup.
> > > I get it setup fine in the BIOS and RAID setup utility (nVidia RAID on

> > > Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI mobo), but Windows doesn't show the drive. What

do I
> > > need to do to get them setup in Windows???

Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

RomeoJ wrote:

>I'm trying to install 2 Western Digital 250gb hard drives in a RAID 1
>setup.
>I get it setup fine in the BIOS and RAID setup utility (nVidia RAID on a
>Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI mobo), but Windows doesn't show the drive. What do I
>need to do to get them setup in Windows???

If this is during Windows installation, you need a driver floppy and F6.

If it's for an existing Windows installation on another drive in the same
machine, Install a driver for the RAID hardware. You should find that
Device Manager has either an "Unknown Device", or a named device that
matches your RAID hardware with a yellow exclamation (ie it's been
identified, but is non-functional or has no driver).

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------

Dominic Payer

Assign a drive letter and format the drive in Disk Management.

"RomeoJ" <(E-Mail Removed)*n0_5pam*> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> To set everything straight, I am trying to install two drives as a RAID
> array
> on an existing system with x64 installed on my original hard drive. One
> original drive w/Windows, two new ones.
>
> Problem: New drives do not show up (either as the RAID array or individual
> drives)under My Computer.
>
> New twist: Both drives show up individually in Device Manager-Disk Drives.
>
> I also show "SCSI/RAID Host Controller" and "Silicon Image SiI 3114
> SoftRaid
> 5 Controller" under SCSI/RAID controllers. My motherboard has both Silicon
> Image and nVidia RAID controllers, and I'm using the nVidia one.

NuTCrAcKeR

did you say ...500GB array?

You said you have 2 250GB drives that you are trying to setup with RAID1
(mirroring) ... this will not yield 500G, just 250GB. Search this group for
several impassioned discussions as to the pro's and con's of RAID0.

Does the device manager show the proper RAID controller device?

if yes, then you need to go into device manager, and see if there is an
"unrecognised disk" in there. if yes, give it a signature, then partition
and format to your liking. Only after you do that will the drive "appear" in
Explorer and be available to the system for use.

- NuTs

"RomeoJ" <(E-Mail Removed)*n0_5pam*> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've already got x64 installed on a separate drive. I'm going to copy my
> old
> 160gb onto the new 500gb RAID array, but I need Windows to recognize it
> first!
>
> "Dennis Pack" wrote:
>
>> When installing XP or XP x64 you need to use F6 to install the raid
>> drivers
>> from a floppy.
>>

>> "RomeoJ" <(E-Mail Removed)*n0_5pam*> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I'm trying to install 2 Western Digital 250gb hard drives in a RAID 1
>> > setup.
>> > I get it setup fine in the BIOS and RAID setup utility (nVidia RAID on
>> > Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI mobo), but Windows doesn't show the drive. What
>> > do I
>> > need to do to get them setup in Windows???

Larry Hodges

He shouldn't have to do that Tony. He should be able to set up and
configure raid drivers after XP is installed. You only need to install them
from floppy at the beginning of the installation if you intend on installing
the OS on that array. In this case he's simply adding it as a second drive.

-Larry

news:u%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would say: You have to do a 'Repair Install' to get to the Floppy Stage.
>
> You should be able to do that on your old system, then when it reaches the
> Partition Manager Stage, your new drives will become visible. I think you
> should probably finish the normal installation and leave the transfer of
> the
> system until later, since your RAID is configured and ready, they should
> all
> behave like normal HD's after that.
>
> The Repair Install will require that you have all system drivers ready,
> but
> it will not affect your personal files or installed app's.
>
> Tony. . .
>

> "RomeoJ" <(E-Mail Removed)*n0_5pam*> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've already got x64 installed on a separate drive. I'm going to copy my

> old
>> 160gb onto the new 500gb RAID array, but I need Windows to recognize it

> first!
>>
>> "Dennis Pack" wrote:
>>
>> > When installing XP or XP x64 you need to use F6 to install the raid

> drivers
>> > from a floppy.
>> >

>> > "RomeoJ" <(E-Mail Removed)*n0_5pam*> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> do I

Tom Ferguson

Classic View, Control Panel Administrative Tools Computer
Management Disk Management

Does it show up there?

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"RomeoJ" <(E-Mail Removed)*n0_5pam*> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Did some searching, found the nVidia drivers, and installed them. Got
> the
> RAID controller and the RAID array to show up in Device Manager. The
> array
> shows up as "NVIDIA STRIPE 465.77 GB" in Disk Drives. Still a no show
> in My
> Computer.
>
> Do I need to format the drives, or do something special to actually be
> able
> to use the array? It's working properly according to Device Manager

Noone

Yes. You have to go to disk manager and create a partition and then format
the drive before it will show up in "My Computer".