Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > System hangs randomly during OS (XP x64) load

System hangs randomly during OS (XP x64) load

nickade@gmail.com

My new system hangs during the Windows XP loading screen. When it does
so, I do a hard restart. Then it will get past the Windows XP loading
screen, but instead of getting the Welcome screen, it will restart on
its own and then it will load the Welcome screen the third time.
Additionally, I don't think that I can boot in to Safe Mode. This is
the second computer I have built myself, and the first that I have used

with a 64-bit operating system. I got XP with the upgrade coupon for
Windows Vista Business, so I will completely reformat when I get the
new OS. Maybe it will be more stable?

Case: Lian Li PC-V1000APLUSII W Silver
Power Supply: Silverstone ST50EF-Plus
Motherboard: Asus P5B-E (the floppy controller does not work on this
guy, but I bought a TEAC USB drive and that worked for my purposes)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master RR-LCH-P9E1
Graphics Card: eVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS
Memory: Corsair XMS2 Twin2X2048-6400
Hard Drives: (2) Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS at RAID 0
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S182D
Operating System: Windows XP Professional x64

I am running Avast, as Kaspersky did not work with XP x64.

Colin Barnhorst

I doubt it. Reseat the video and memory cards. This is not likely to be a
software issue.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> My new system hangs during the Windows XP loading screen. When it does
> so, I do a hard restart. Then it will get past the Windows XP loading
> screen, but instead of getting the Welcome screen, it will restart on
> its own and then it will load the Welcome screen the third time.
> Additionally, I don't think that I can boot in to Safe Mode. This is
> the second computer I have built myself, and the first that I have used
>
> with a 64-bit operating system. I got XP with the upgrade coupon for
> Windows Vista Business, so I will completely reformat when I get the
> new OS. Maybe it will be more stable?
>
> Case: Lian Li PC-V1000APLUSII W Silver
> Power Supply: Silverstone ST50EF-Plus
> Motherboard: Asus P5B-E (the floppy controller does not work on this
> guy, but I bought a TEAC USB drive and that worked for my purposes)
> Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
> CPU Cooling: Cooler Master RR-LCH-P9E1
> Graphics Card: eVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS
> Memory: Corsair XMS2 Twin2X2048-6400
> Hard Drives: (2) Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS at RAID 0
> Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S182D
> Operating System: Windows XP Professional x64
>

> I am running Avast, as Kaspersky did not work with XP x64.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Extremely unlikely. Also make sure that all hard disk cables are well
seated - SATA cables are notoriously problematic.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I doubt it. Reseat the video and memory cards. This is not likely to be a
>software issue.
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>> My new system hangs during the Windows XP loading screen. When it does
>> so, I do a hard restart. Then it will get past the Windows XP loading
>> screen, but instead of getting the Welcome screen, it will restart on
>> its own and then it will load the Welcome screen the third time.
>> Additionally, I don't think that I can boot in to Safe Mode. This is
>> the second computer I have built myself, and the first that I have used
>>
>> with a 64-bit operating system. I got XP with the upgrade coupon for
>> Windows Vista Business, so I will completely reformat when I get the
>> new OS. Maybe it will be more stable?
>>
>> Case: Lian Li PC-V1000APLUSII W Silver
>> Power Supply: Silverstone ST50EF-Plus
>> Motherboard: Asus P5B-E (the floppy controller does not work on this
>> guy, but I bought a TEAC USB drive and that worked for my purposes)
>> Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
>> CPU Cooling: Cooler Master RR-LCH-P9E1
>> Graphics Card: eVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS
>> Memory: Corsair XMS2 Twin2X2048-6400
>> Hard Drives: (2) Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS at RAID 0
>> Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S182D
>> Operating System: Windows XP Professional x64
>>

>> I am running Avast, as Kaspersky did not work with XP x64.

Tony Sperling

In addition, you might want to turn off (disable) every option in your BIOS
that you do not need - during trouble-shooting, turn off everything you
don't need for booting the machine.

Check if there's a later version of the BIOS and Flash!

And, check your Event Viewer for Errors and Warnings!

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I doubt it. Reseat the video and memory cards. This is not likely to be

> software issue.
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> > My new system hangs during the Windows XP loading screen. When it does
> > so, I do a hard restart. Then it will get past the Windows XP loading
> > screen, but instead of getting the Welcome screen, it will restart on
> > its own and then it will load the Welcome screen the third time.
> > Additionally, I don't think that I can boot in to Safe Mode. This is
> > the second computer I have built myself, and the first that I have used
> >
> > with a 64-bit operating system. I got XP with the upgrade coupon for
> > Windows Vista Business, so I will completely reformat when I get the
> > new OS. Maybe it will be more stable?
> >
> > Case: Lian Li PC-V1000APLUSII W Silver
> > Power Supply: Silverstone ST50EF-Plus
> > Motherboard: Asus P5B-E (the floppy controller does not work on this
> > guy, but I bought a TEAC USB drive and that worked for my purposes)
> > Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
> > CPU Cooling: Cooler Master RR-LCH-P9E1
> > Graphics Card: eVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS
> > Memory: Corsair XMS2 Twin2X2048-6400
> > Hard Drives: (2) Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS at RAID 0
> > Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S182D
> > Operating System: Windows XP Professional x64
> >

> > I am running Avast, as Kaspersky did not work with XP x64.

Colin Barnhorst

Which reminds me, disconnect all external devices not needed to boot.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In addition, you might want to turn off (disable) every option in your
> BIOS
> that you do not need - during trouble-shooting, turn off everything you
> don't need for booting the machine.
>
> Check if there's a later version of the BIOS and Flash!
>
> And, check your Event Viewer for Errors and Warnings!
>
> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I doubt it. Reseat the video and memory cards. This is not likely to be

>> software issue.
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>> > My new system hangs during the Windows XP loading screen. When it does
>> > so, I do a hard restart. Then it will get past the Windows XP loading
>> > screen, but instead of getting the Welcome screen, it will restart on
>> > its own and then it will load the Welcome screen the third time.
>> > Additionally, I don't think that I can boot in to Safe Mode. This is
>> > the second computer I have built myself, and the first that I have used
>> >
>> > with a 64-bit operating system. I got XP with the upgrade coupon for
>> > Windows Vista Business, so I will completely reformat when I get the
>> > new OS. Maybe it will be more stable?
>> >
>> > Case: Lian Li PC-V1000APLUSII W Silver
>> > Power Supply: Silverstone ST50EF-Plus
>> > Motherboard: Asus P5B-E (the floppy controller does not work on this
>> > guy, but I bought a TEAC USB drive and that worked for my purposes)
>> > Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
>> > CPU Cooling: Cooler Master RR-LCH-P9E1
>> > Graphics Card: eVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS
>> > Memory: Corsair XMS2 Twin2X2048-6400
>> > Hard Drives: (2) Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS at RAID 0
>> > Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S182D
>> > Operating System: Windows XP Professional x64
>> >

>> > I am running Avast, as Kaspersky did not work with XP x64.

nandrosa

You were right. I'm not getting a hang anymore. Thanks for the quick
response. Also, slightly new irregularity...I just updated my board's
BIOS using its EZFlash Utility, and AiSuite is reporting significantly
cooler CPU temperatures (22C), although the System temperature is not
different (36C) from what it was before. The CPU is throttled back most
of the time to 1.6 GHz instead of 2.6 GHz (it did this before too). The
windows to my bedroom are open, and nws.noaa.gov says it's 40F outside.
I don't feel chilly, but it could be 60F inside. I'm using a Cooler
Master RR-LCH-P9E1 fan & heatsink combo. Strange?

Colin Barnhorst (remove) wrote:
> I doubt it. Reseat the video and memory cards. This is not likely to be a
> software issue.

Colin Barnhorst

Read up on the Core technology (Intel). I think that you are seeing pretty
normal behavior. Intel has a lot of new ways to control temps. Glad the
system is stable.

"nandrosa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> You were right. I'm not getting a hang anymore. Thanks for the quick
> response. Also, slightly new irregularity...I just updated my board's
> BIOS using its EZFlash Utility, and AiSuite is reporting significantly
> cooler CPU temperatures (22C), although the System temperature is not
> different (36C) from what it was before. The CPU is throttled back most
> of the time to 1.6 GHz instead of 2.6 GHz (it did this before too). The
> windows to my bedroom are open, and nws.noaa.gov says it's 40F outside.
> I don't feel chilly, but it could be 60F inside. I'm using a Cooler
> Master RR-LCH-P9E1 fan & heatsink combo. Strange?
>
> Colin Barnhorst (remove) wrote:
>> I doubt it. Reseat the video and memory cards. This is not likely to be
>> software issue.

Tony Sperling

- ditto -

Tony. . .

news:OzkYI%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Read up on the Core technology (Intel). I think that you are seeing

pretty
> normal behavior. Intel has a lot of new ways to control temps. Glad the
> system is stable.
>
> "nandrosa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > You were right. I'm not getting a hang anymore. Thanks for the quick
> > response. Also, slightly new irregularity...I just updated my board's
> > BIOS using its EZFlash Utility, and AiSuite is reporting significantly
> > cooler CPU temperatures (22C), although the System temperature is not
> > different (36C) from what it was before. The CPU is throttled back most
> > of the time to 1.6 GHz instead of 2.6 GHz (it did this before too). The
> > windows to my bedroom are open, and nws.noaa.gov says it's 40F outside.
> > I don't feel chilly, but it could be 60F inside. I'm using a Cooler
> > Master RR-LCH-P9E1 fan & heatsink combo. Strange?
> >
> > Colin Barnhorst (remove) wrote:
> >> I doubt it. Reseat the video and memory cards. This is not likely to

be
> >> software issue.

nandrosa

Okay, so, I checked all the cables. I even re-installed Windows XP
Professional x64 just in case Avast was causing the malfunction. There
is something at the software or BIOS level that is causing XP to hang
at the loading screen when I turn the power on. I then have to turn her
off, and restart. Sometimes Windows loads the second time, and
sometimes it loads, then restarts on its own, and loads successfully
the third time. If I leave it on indefinitely, no problems though.

>On Nov 29, 5:50 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Extremely unlikely. Also make sure that all hard disk cables are well
> seated - SATA cables are notoriously problematic.
>
> --
> Charlie.http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>

> >I doubt it. Reseat the video and memory cards. This is not likely to be a
> >software issue.

> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >> My new system hangs during the Windows XP loading screen. When it does
> >> so, I do a hard restart. Then it will get past the Windows XP loading
> >> screen, but instead of getting the Welcome screen, it will restart on
> >> its own and then it will load the Welcome screen the third time.
> >> Additionally, I don't think that I can boot in to Safe Mode. This is
> >> the second computer I have built myself, and the first that I have used

> >> with a 64-bit operating system. I got XP with the upgrade coupon for
> >> Windows Vista Business, so I will completely reformat when I get the
> >> new OS. Maybe it will be more stable?

> >> Case: Lian Li PC-V1000APLUSII W Silver
> >> Power Supply: Silverstone ST50EF-Plus
> >> Motherboard: Asus P5B-E (the floppy controller does not work on this
> >> guy, but I bought a TEAC USB drive and that worked for my purposes)
> >> Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
> >> CPU Cooling: Cooler Master RR-LCH-P9E1
> >> Graphics Card: eVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS
> >> Memory: Corsair XMS2 Twin2X2048-6400
> >> Hard Drives: (2) Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS at RAID 0
> >> Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S182D
> >> Operating System: Windows XP Professional x64

> >> I am running Avast, as Kaspersky did not work with XP x64.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

John Barnes

What do you mean by the loading screen? Have you tried F8 and selecting
last known good? Go into system properties and in advances startup and
recovery, turn off automatically restart and maybe you will receive an error
code that may help.