Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > need 64 bit driver for atheros ar5005g wireless network adapter

need 64 bit driver for atheros ar5005g wireless network adapter

bill downs

have beta version vista 64bit - need driver for network card - can anyone
help

Jud Hendrix

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 11:47:33 -0400, "bill downs" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>have beta version vista 64bit - need driver for network card - can anyone

The Atheros website doesn't list 64-bit drivers in the specification-list.
Did you e-mail their support ((E-Mail Removed))? Maybe they have them on
beta if you ask and want to test.

jud

Charlie Russel - MVP

There are no Atheros drivers beyond what is in the RTM build at this time.
And Atheros has been extremely slow to provide standalone drivers that you
can download for 64-bit.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"bill downs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> have beta version vista 64bit - need driver for network card - can anyone
> help

Barb Bowman

In fact, the Atheros drivers aren't in build at this point. They are
on WU, which means a hard wired connection (or alternative wireless
that has inbox support) is required to pull them down.

There is no support at all for the Atheros draft N but Broadcom
draft N is supported in-box.

Sadly, at least one first tier vendor has been unable to get even
alpha draft N drivers out of Atheros.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Charlie Russel - MVP

Thanks, Barb. I hadn't used the Atheros card since I went to RTM build, so
didn't realize they were on WU.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In fact, the Atheros drivers aren't in build at this point. They are
> on WU, which means a hard wired connection (or alternative wireless
> that has inbox support) is required to pull them down.
>
> There is no support at all for the Atheros draft N but Broadcom
> draft N is supported in-box.
>
> Sadly, at least one first tier vendor has been unable to get even
> alpha draft N drivers out of Atheros.
>
> On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 11:20:17 -0800, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>There are no Atheros drivers beyond what is in the RTM build at this time.
>>And Atheros has been extremely slow to provide standalone drivers that you
>>can download for 64-bit.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Charlie Russel - MVP

Nope, just plugged it in and it worked without a prompt or other
requirement. And I'm pretty sure it hasn't been plugged in to this machine
since I did a clean install of RTM. But I'll go to WU to see if I can get a
newer driver, just in case...

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, Barb. I hadn't used the Atheros card since I went to RTM build, so
> didn't realize they were on WU.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In fact, the Atheros drivers aren't in build at this point. They are
>> on WU, which means a hard wired connection (or alternative wireless
>> that has inbox support) is required to pull them down.
>>
>> There is no support at all for the Atheros draft N but Broadcom
>> draft N is supported in-box.
>>
>> Sadly, at least one first tier vendor has been unable to get even
>> alpha draft N drivers out of Atheros.
>>
>> On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 11:20:17 -0800, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>There are no Atheros drivers beyond what is in the RTM build at this
>>>time.
>>>And Atheros has been extremely slow to provide standalone drivers that
>>>you
>>>can download for 64-bit.

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP
>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

Barb Bowman

well, the ferrari 5000 has Atheros a/b/g built in. no driver was
found. had to plug in hardwired to the router and that brought down
the driver from WU. I have not tried to pccard atheros on the 4000
yet.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

Charlie Russel - MVP

Hmmm. Well there was an active external connection when I plugged in the
D-Link 660 AG. So it _could_ have done a silent install of it. But if so, it
never once prompted me and I'm not seeing anything in WU history...

It would be good to know others' experiences - if they have no other active
connection to the Internet, does an atheros based 802.11a/b/g card work on
not?