Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Vista64 Locks Up New Dell (!!)

Vista64 Locks Up New Dell (!!)

=?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gSw==?=

I have a Dell XPS 410 which I purchased one week before the Vista coupon
program was announced -- argh

In any case, when beta testing the 64-bit versions of RC1 and RC2 I suffered
from random freezes, where the computer would freeze for about 30-45 seconds,
and suddenly everything would be fine. This might happen 3-6 times per hour
and would be especially annoying is music was playing because it would
studder the same sample.

I reported this bug and then switched to the 32-bit Vista betas.

After updating my Dell BIOS and then installing Vista 64 RTM I was
disheartened to be experiencing the same problems. I don't have this
problem in 32-bit versions so I have to assume that some 64-bit
driver/component is at fault.

My computer hardware is a possibility but so far I haven't been able to
recreate these symptoms in XP (32 and 64) or Vista 32. Only in Vista64 have
I seen this issue.

Too add insult to injury I see that the invited Vista testers got a free
copy of Ultimate, and I get nothing which I wouldn't mind so much if this bug
that I had reported were fixed

Video card is an ATI X1300. I experienced the lockups with the default
Vista drivers, and then tried the beta Catalyst drivers for RTM and
experienced the same thing.

=?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gSw==?=

I should add that in the RTM version, the duration of the freeze is shorter
(about 20 seconds guessing).

I guess I should consider this progress?

Colin Barnhorst

Have you posted the issue in microsoft.public.vista.hardware_devices to see
if someone with your same mobo is experiencing similar issues?

"Kevin K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I should add that in the RTM version, the duration of the freeze is shorter
> (about 20 seconds guessing).
>
> I guess I should consider this progress?

ghstahl@gmail.com

I can report the exact same issue with my Dell XPS 410. I have the
NVIDIA 7950 card. I downloaded the latest from NVIDIA with no change
in the freeze up.

Kevin K wrote:
> I have a Dell XPS 410 which I purchased one week before the Vista coupon
> program was announced -- argh
>
> In any case, when beta testing the 64-bit versions of RC1 and RC2 I suffered
> from random freezes, where the computer would freeze for about 30-45 seconds,
> and suddenly everything would be fine. This might happen 3-6 times per hour
> and would be especially annoying is music was playing because it would
> studder the same sample.
>
> I reported this bug and then switched to the 32-bit Vista betas.
>
> After updating my Dell BIOS and then installing Vista 64 RTM I was
> disheartened to be experiencing the same problems. I don't have this
> problem in 32-bit versions so I have to assume that some 64-bit
> driver/component is at fault.
>
> My computer hardware is a possibility but so far I haven't been able to
> recreate these symptoms in XP (32 and 64) or Vista 32. Only in Vista64 have
> I seen this issue.
>
> Too add insult to injury I see that the invited Vista testers got a free
> copy of Ultimate, and I get nothing which I wouldn't mind so much if this bug
> that I had reported were fixed
>
> Video card is an ATI X1300. I experienced the lockups with the default
> Vista drivers, and then tried the beta Catalyst drivers for RTM and
> experienced the same thing.

=?Utf-8?B?amVycnliZQ==?=

I am having the exact same problem with my new XPS 410 mine is vista 32bit
with the 256 ATI Radeon video card.

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> I can report the exact same issue with my Dell XPS 410. I have the
> NVIDIA 7950 card. I downloaded the latest from NVIDIA with no change
> in the freeze up.
>

> Kevin K wrote:
> > I have a Dell XPS 410 which I purchased one week before the Vista coupon
> > program was announced -- argh
> >
> > In any case, when beta testing the 64-bit versions of RC1 and RC2 I suffered
> > from random freezes, where the computer would freeze for about 30-45 seconds,
> > and suddenly everything would be fine. This might happen 3-6 times per hour
> > and would be especially annoying is music was playing because it would
> > studder the same sample.
> >
> > I reported this bug and then switched to the 32-bit Vista betas.
> >
> > After updating my Dell BIOS and then installing Vista 64 RTM I was
> > disheartened to be experiencing the same problems. I don't have this
> > problem in 32-bit versions so I have to assume that some 64-bit
> > driver/component is at fault.
> >
> > My computer hardware is a possibility but so far I haven't been able to
> > recreate these symptoms in XP (32 and 64) or Vista 32. Only in Vista64 have
> > I seen this issue.
> >
> > Too add insult to injury I see that the invited Vista testers got a free
> > copy of Ultimate, and I get nothing which I wouldn't mind so much if this bug
> > that I had reported were fixed
> >
> > Video card is an ATI X1300. I experienced the lockups with the default
> > Vista drivers, and then tried the beta Catalyst drivers for RTM and
> > experienced the same thing.

Re: Vista64 filehandling oddity - new discovery :-( Jud Hendrix Windows 64bit 2 03-04-2009 01:08 AM
Re: Vista64 filehandling oddity - new discovery :-( Jud Hendrix Windows 64bit 0 02-28-2009 03:35 PM
Vista64 John Barnes Windows 64bit 16 11-18-2006 08:43 PM
XP64 installs but not Vista64 - Help =?Utf-8?B?QnJhZCBELg==?= Windows 64bit 4 09-09-2006 05:48 PM
is Vista64 going to support Dos16 programs ? Lynn McGuire Windows 64bit 5 05-26-2006 01:25 AM

Advertisments