Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Replace Vista x64

Replace Vista x64

Martin G

All

I need to remove my Vista x64 installation ( on a separate HD) which is
currently dual booting with XPx64 and replace it with a 2nd installation of
XPx64 (for a beta test).

In the end I want to have a set-up which dual boots into the two different
installations of XPx64.

When I do the second installation of XPx64 will the dual boot be set up
automatically?

Thanks for any advise

Regards

Martin G

John Barnes

It will depend on how you have your drives set up when you do the install.
At worst you should still be able to boot into your x64 and clean up things
from there.

"Martin G" <martingATboundaryHYPHENmetalDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> All
>
> I need to remove my Vista x64 installation ( on a separate HD) which is
> currently dual booting with XPx64 and replace it with a 2nd installation
> of
> XPx64 (for a beta test).
>
> In the end I want to have a set-up which dual boots into the two different
> installations of XPx64.
>
> When I do the second installation of XPx64 will the dual boot be set up
> automatically?
>
> Thanks for any advise
>
> Regards
>
> Martin G

Tom Ferguson

What John said. I would augment by adding-

If you boot the computer to the present XPx64 system place the CD in the
drive, you will end up with:
1. The Windows XP boot loder offering the two XP systems on its menu
2. Vista will still be in place as well as its boot files.

You now have two options.
1. Leave it as it is.
2. Clean up by deleting the Vista installation and the boot files. -OR-

Alternately, you can install EasyBCD or Vista BootPro on the XP64 system
and use it to change to the XP64 boot loader. This disables the Vista
loader but leaves everything in place. You can then install another copy
of XP64 to a different partition. Then, if you want, you can reactivate
the Vista loader.

Then, when you boot, the Vistal loader will offer you Vista or Earlier
OS. Selecting Earlier OS will take you to the XP loader which will offer
you the two XP64 OSs.

Good luck.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

:
[...]

Thanks both

I removed the Vista loader then cleaned up the HD and continued to install
XPx64. I now have a dual boot between 2 XPx64 installations however the new
installation is does not take the C: when loaded it is E:.

Is there a way to make whichever operating system is booted take C: ?

Regards

Martin

"Tom Ferguson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What John said. I would augment by adding-
>
> If you boot the computer to the present XPx64 system place the CD in the
> drive, you will end up with:
> 1. The Windows XP boot loder offering the two XP systems on its menu
> 2. Vista will still be in place as well as its boot files.
>
> You now have two options.
> 1. Leave it as it is.
> 2. Clean up by deleting the Vista installation and the boot files. -OR-
>
> Alternately, you can install EasyBCD or Vista BootPro on the XP64 system
> and use it to change to the XP64 boot loader. This disables the Vista
> loader but leaves everything in place. You can then install another copy
> of XP64 to a different partition. Then, if you want, you can reactivate
> the Vista loader.
>
> Then, when you boot, the Vistal loader will offer you Vista or Earlier
> OS. Selecting Earlier OS will take you to the XP loader which will offer
> you the two XP64 OSs.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Tom
> MSMVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Martin G" <martingATboundaryHYPHENmetalDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> : All
> :
> : I need to remove my Vista x64 installation ( on a separate HD) which
> is
> : currently dual booting with XPx64 and replace it with a 2nd
> installation of
> : XPx64 (for a beta test).
> :
> : In the end I want to have a set-up which dual boots into the two
> different
> : installations of XPx64.
> :
> : When I do the second installation of XPx64 will the dual boot be set
> up
> : automatically?
> :
> : Thanks for any advise
> :
> : Regards
> :
> : Martin G
> :
> :

Tom Ferguson

Install each OS by booting from the CD or DVD. Install in order from
oldest to newest. If you are installing any Windows 9x OS, including SE
or Me, only install one and install it on FAT.

"Martin G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: Thanks both
:
: I removed the Vista loader then cleaned up the HD and continued to
install
: XPx64. I now have a dual boot between 2 XPx64 installations however
the new
: installation is does not take the C: when loaded it is E:.
:
: Is there a way to make whichever operating system is booted take C: ?
:
: Regards
:
: Martin
:
:
:
: "Tom Ferguson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: > What John said. I would augment by adding-
: >
[...]
: > :
[...]

There are no old OS's both are XPx64. Installed from CD's however the second
install does not become C: when it is booted into. It maintains the F: label
of the drive it was installed onto.

When I was dual booting with X64 and vista whichever operating system I
booted into became C: so I was expecting the same behaviour with this set up

> [...]

> : >
> : >
> : >
> : > "Martin G" <martingATboundaryHYPHENmetalDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message
> : > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> : > : All
> : > :
> : > : I need to remove my Vista x64 installation ( on a separate HD)
> which
> : > is
> : > : currently dual booting with XPx64 and replace it with a 2nd
> : > installation of
> : > : XPx64 (for a beta test).
> : > :
> : > : In the end I want to have a set-up which dual boots into the two
> : > different
> : > : installations of XPx64.
> : > :
> : > : When I do the second installation of XPx64 will the dual boot be

John Barnes

With Vista, it will always install itself as C if it is installed from the
DVD and assume the Letter assigned to the partition installed to by any OS
from which it is installed.
If you want the new installation to be C, you should disconnect the other
drive when you install it. If both are on different partitions on the same
drive, I don't think you have a choice with XP unless you can hide the other
partition, say with fdisk.
Since you don't say how you are set up, all I can do is guess. If this is a
different drive, then after the install you should go into the BIOS and
reset it back to the way it is now so your dual boot ini file is active.

"Martin G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OjMLP%(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> : >
>> : >
>> : >
>> : > "Martin G" <martingATboundaryHYPHENmetalDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message
>> : > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> : > : All
>> : > :
>> : > : I need to remove my Vista x64 installation ( on a separate HD)
>> which
>> : > is
>> : > : currently dual booting with XPx64 and replace it with a 2nd
>> : > installation of
>> : > : XPx64 (for a beta test).
>> : > :
>> : > : In the end I want to have a set-up which dual boots into the two
>> : > different
>> : > : installations of XPx64.
>> : > :
>> : > : When I do the second installation of XPx64 will the dual boot be

Martin G

John

As I will not be using this setup for that long I have just left it as F:
and installed what I need onto it.

The second installation is on a second drive rather than a partition

Regards

Martin

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>> : >
>>> : >
>>> : >
>>> : > "Martin G" <martingATboundaryHYPHENmetalDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message
>>> : > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> : > : All
>>> : > :
>>> : > : I need to remove my Vista x64 installation ( on a separate HD)
>>> which
>>> : > is
>>> : > : currently dual booting with XPx64 and replace it with a 2nd
>>> : > installation of
>>> : > : XPx64 (for a beta test).
>>> : > :
>>> : > : In the end I want to have a set-up which dual boots into the two
>>> : > different
>>> : > : installations of XPx64.
>>> : > :
>>> : > : When I do the second installation of XPx64 will the dual boot be

Tom Ferguson

OK. However, the question you asked was, "Is there a way to make
whichever operating system is booted take C: ?"

The answer is:
Install each OS by booting from the CD or DVD.

The rest was a statement stating the recommendation for the general case
of instralling various OSs and not meant to be limited to your
particular requirements at this time and in this instance..

Tom

[...]
: > : >
[...]
: > : > :
[...]

Hi Tom

I did install both OS by booting from CD's.

Not to worry, as mentioned above I will just use as is.

Thanks for the help