Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > X64 will access internet via 64 bit browser but not 32 bit?

X64 will access internet via 64 bit browser but not 32 bit?

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

this one has stumped me??? (not hard)...

Installed XP 64 and upgraded to IE7 - the 64 bit browser gets right on the
internet no issues - when I launch or windows launches the 32 bit version
the 32 bit browser times out (going to the same page)? In addition, I am
having trouble with all other programs reaching except the 64 bit browser
getting to the web - I have verified connectivity and as I mentioned it works
fine with 64 bit browser - did the same thing with IE6.

I think I must be missing something... I have turned off the firewall,
flushed the DNS, reset the router and modem multiple times? I am running out
of tricks?

Help???

Linksys router
Cable modem
etc.

Theo

No you happen to have a board with nVidia chips?

Mike wrote:
> this one has stumped me??? (not hard)...
>
> Installed XP 64 and upgraded to IE7 - the 64 bit browser gets right on the
> internet no issues - when I launch or windows launches the 32 bit version
> the 32 bit browser times out (going to the same page)? In addition, I am
> having trouble with all other programs reaching except the 64 bit browser
> getting to the web - I have verified connectivity and as I mentioned it works
> fine with 64 bit browser - did the same thing with IE6.
>
> I think I must be missing something... I have turned off the firewall,
> flushed the DNS, reset the router and modem multiple times? I am running out
> of tricks?
>
> Help???
>
> Linksys router
> Cable modem
> etc.

John Barnes

If you do have the nVidia chipset, you will have to install the supplied
firewall, and then uninstall it from add/remove programs. This has been a
fairly common problem.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> this one has stumped me??? (not hard)...
>
> Installed XP 64 and upgraded to IE7 - the 64 bit browser gets right on the
> internet no issues - when I launch or windows launches the 32 bit version
> the 32 bit browser times out (going to the same page)? In addition, I am
> having trouble with all other programs reaching except the 64 bit browser
> getting to the web - I have verified connectivity and as I mentioned it
> works
> fine with 64 bit browser - did the same thing with IE6.
>
> I think I must be missing something... I have turned off the firewall,
> flushed the DNS, reset the router and modem multiple times? I am running
> out
> of tricks?
>
> Help???
>
> Linksys router
> Cable modem
> etc.

Dennis Pack

Mike:
Open 32-bit IE, go to tools/manage add-ons, disable all add-ons,
close IE. Reopen 32-bit IE, if it responds normally one of the add-ons was
the cause. Enabling each add-on one at a time will isolate the conflicting
add-on.

news:O70GG3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you do have the nVidia chipset, you will have to install the supplied
> firewall, and then uninstall it from add/remove programs. This has been a
> fairly common problem.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> this one has stumped me??? (not hard)...
>>
>> Installed XP 64 and upgraded to IE7 - the 64 bit browser gets right on
>> the
>> internet no issues - when I launch or windows launches the 32 bit version
>> the 32 bit browser times out (going to the same page)? In addition, I
>> am
>> having trouble with all other programs reaching except the 64 bit browser
>> getting to the web - I have verified connectivity and as I mentioned it
>> works
>> fine with 64 bit browser - did the same thing with IE6.
>>
>> I think I must be missing something... I have turned off the firewall,
>> flushed the DNS, reset the router and modem multiple times? I am running
>> out
>> of tricks?
>>
>> Help???
>>
>> Linksys router
>> Cable modem
>> etc.

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

John -

Yes I do have the NVidia chipset - Whose firewall do I install then
uninstall? I am assuming you mean the one that came with the motherboard
(Foxconn).
I will check the CD for it - if you have a link to DL please provide - thanks.

BTW - I tried disabling all the add ons and that mode no impact.

M.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> If you do have the nVidia chipset, you will have to install the supplied
> firewall, and then uninstall it from add/remove programs. This has been a
> fairly common problem.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > this one has stumped me??? (not hard)...
> >
> > Installed XP 64 and upgraded to IE7 - the 64 bit browser gets right on the
> > internet no issues - when I launch or windows launches the 32 bit version
> > the 32 bit browser times out (going to the same page)? In addition, I am
> > having trouble with all other programs reaching except the 64 bit browser
> > getting to the web - I have verified connectivity and as I mentioned it
> > works
> > fine with 64 bit browser - did the same thing with IE6.
> >
> > I think I must be missing something... I have turned off the firewall,
> > flushed the DNS, reset the router and modem multiple times? I am running
> > out
> > of tricks?
> >
> > Help???
> >
> > Linksys router
> > Cable modem
> > etc.

John Barnes

I don't have a link, but it is a question asked during the install of the
chipset drivers, if I recall. You could look on nVidia site for the latest
chipset driver package.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John -
>
> Yes I do have the NVidia chipset - Whose firewall do I install then
> uninstall? I am assuming you mean the one that came with the motherboard
> (Foxconn).
> I will check the CD for it - if you have a link to DL please provide -
> thanks.
>
> BTW - I tried disabling all the add ons and that mode no impact.
>
> M.
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> If you do have the nVidia chipset, you will have to install the supplied
>> firewall, and then uninstall it from add/remove programs. This has been
>> fairly common problem.
>>

>> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > this one has stumped me??? (not hard)...
>> >
>> > Installed XP 64 and upgraded to IE7 - the 64 bit browser gets right on
>> > the
>> > internet no issues - when I launch or windows launches the 32 bit
>> > version
>> > the 32 bit browser times out (going to the same page)? In addition, I
>> > am
>> > having trouble with all other programs reaching except the 64 bit
>> > browser
>> > getting to the web - I have verified connectivity and as I mentioned it
>> > works
>> > fine with 64 bit browser - did the same thing with IE6.
>> >
>> > I think I must be missing something... I have turned off the firewall,
>> > flushed the DNS, reset the router and modem multiple times? I am
>> > running
>> > out
>> > of tricks?
>> >
>> > Help???
>> >
>> > Linksys router
>> > Cable modem
>> > etc.

Dominic Payer

The firewall is the nVidia "Network Access Manager".

If you have installed it already - it is a question asked during the nVidia
chipset driver installation - uninstall it.
If you have not installed it, rerun the installation package and say yes
when asked and then uninstall it by modifying the nVidia driver installation
in Add or Remove Programs.

The latest x64 nVidia drivers are the 6.86, released July 7 2006, from
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_...xp64_6.86.html

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...