Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Sata drives , dual boot 98/XP/64bit

Sata drives , dual boot 98/XP/64bit

=?Utf-8?B?dW13aGF0?=

...oh well , triple boot...I had hoped I could triple boot W98/XP/64bit but
the X800Xt graphics card doesn't support W98 . I'm hoping Fat 16 is going to
work in the Sata drives . Is there something I can do to have a display
driver for the X800XT in W98 ? ATI says the x800xt is supported in
2000/XP/64bit . I can onl get 2 and 16 colours in W98 and I would like at
least 256 colours display .

...yes , I haven't used computers for very long...but try getting me away
from one...

--
....scribble...scribble...scribble...

Jane C

Perhaps you could consider running Win98 in a virtual machine in Virtual PC
instead?

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
"umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ...oh well , triple boot...I had hoped I could triple boot W98/XP/64bit
> but
> the X800Xt graphics card doesn't support W98 . I'm hoping Fat 16 is going
> work in the Sata drives . Is there something I can do to have a display
> driver for the X800XT in W98 ? ATI says the x800xt is supported in
> 2000/XP/64bit . I can onl get 2 and 16 colours in W98 and I would like at
> least 256 colours display .
>
> ...yes , I haven't used computers for very long...but try getting me away
> from one...
>

> --
> ...scribble...scribble...scribble...

Tony Sperling

That is a very good idea, considering! Should provide 256 colors, easily.

Hmm. FAT16 - with a small enough partition. . .perhaps, but doubtfull. VM is
probably better - actually I think even '98' will only support FAT16 on
floppies, right? Or. . .putting '98' on a bootable Bernoulli drive? (If such
exists anymore?)

Tony. . .

"Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Perhaps you could consider running Win98 in a virtual machine in Virtual

PC
> instead?
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
> "umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > ...oh well , triple boot...I had hoped I could triple boot W98/XP/64bit
> > but
> > the X800Xt graphics card doesn't support W98 . I'm hoping Fat 16 is

going
> > work in the Sata drives . Is there something I can do to have a display
> > driver for the X800XT in W98 ? ATI says the x800xt is supported in
> > 2000/XP/64bit . I can onl get 2 and 16 colours in W98 and I would like

at
> > least 256 colours display .
> >
> > ...yes , I haven't used computers for very long...but try getting me

away
> > from one...
> >

> > --
> > ...scribble...scribble...scribble...

=?Utf-8?B?dW13aGF0?=

The reason I asked is I want to use Microsoft's analog Force Feedback
Joystick in W98 because I think it is the FAT16 file system in W98 that has
the last driver available in a Microsoft operating system for force feedback
through a Game Port . And I don't want to pay a whole lot of cash for a new
USB joystick . I have an analog Force Feedback Steering Wheel with a Game
Port connection here to try too . With a Game Port/USB adapter the force
feedback does not work , so it's back to Windows 98 and FAT16 .
I will use an old computer that has a AGP slot instead .

--

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> That is a very good idea, considering! Should provide 256 colors, easily.
>
> Hmm. FAT16 - with a small enough partition. . .perhaps, but doubtfull. VM is
> probably better - actually I think even '98' will only support FAT16 on
> floppies, right? Or. . .putting '98' on a bootable Bernoulli drive? (If such
> exists anymore?)
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Perhaps you could consider running Win98 in a virtual machine in Virtual

> PC
> > instead?
> >
> > --
> > Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
> > Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
> > "umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > ...oh well , triple boot...I had hoped I could triple boot W98/XP/64bit
> > > but
> > > the X800Xt graphics card doesn't support W98 . I'm hoping Fat 16 is

> going
> > > work in the Sata drives . Is there something I can do to have a display
> > > driver for the X800XT in W98 ? ATI says the x800xt is supported in
> > > 2000/XP/64bit . I can onl get 2 and 16 colours in W98 and I would like

> at
> > > least 256 colours display .
> > >
> > > ...yes , I haven't used computers for very long...but try getting me

> away
> > > from one...
> > >

> > > --
> > > ...scribble...scribble...scribble...

Gary S. Terhune

Win98 can support HD FAT16 partitions. You just have to keep them small
enough (under 2 GB.)

--

Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That is a very good idea, considering! Should provide 256 colors, easily.
>
> Hmm. FAT16 - with a small enough partition. . .perhaps, but doubtfull. VM
> is
> probably better - actually I think even '98' will only support FAT16 on
> floppies, right? Or. . .putting '98' on a bootable Bernoulli drive? (If
> such
> exists anymore?)
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Perhaps you could consider running Win98 in a virtual machine in Virtual

> PC
>> instead?
>>
>> --
>> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
>> "umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > ...oh well , triple boot...I had hoped I could triple boot W98/XP/64bit
>> > but
>> > the X800Xt graphics card doesn't support W98 . I'm hoping Fat 16 is

> going
>> > work in the Sata drives . Is there something I can do to have a display
>> > driver for the X800XT in W98 ? ATI says the x800xt is supported in
>> > 2000/XP/64bit . I can onl get 2 and 16 colours in W98 and I would like

> at
>> > least 256 colours display .
>> >
>> > ...yes , I haven't used computers for very long...but try getting me

> away
>> > from one...
>> >

>> > --
>> > ...scribble...scribble...scribble...

Gary S. Terhune

FAT16 has nothing to do with it. 16-bit has nothing to do with it.
Sidewinder Force Feedback Joystick works just fine on Windows XP 32-bit, not
sure about 64-bit. Drivers are already included. Whether it will work with
new motherboards and/or 64-bit processor is another story. What kind of
processor is it?

Most problems with the Sidewinder Force-Feedback are hardware
incompatibilities. There are also many games for which the FF part doesn't
work. It either works or it doesn't. I suggest you get a modern joystick
rather than sweating this. Or do as suggested and use a virtual machine.
*Might* actually work, though I have my doubts.

--

Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User
http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

"umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The reason I asked is I want to use Microsoft's analog Force Feedback
> Joystick in W98 because I think it is the FAT16 file system in W98 that
> has
> the last driver available in a Microsoft operating system for force
> feedback
> through a Game Port . And I don't want to pay a whole lot of cash for a
> new
> USB joystick . I have an analog Force Feedback Steering Wheel with a Game
> Port connection here to try too . With a Game Port/USB adapter the force
> feedback does not work , so it's back to Windows 98 and FAT16 .
> I will use an old computer that has a AGP slot instead .
>

> --
> ...scribble...scribble...scribble...
>

> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>
>> That is a very good idea, considering! Should provide 256 colors, easily.
>>
>> Hmm. FAT16 - with a small enough partition. . .perhaps, but doubtfull. VM
>> is
>> probably better - actually I think even '98' will only support FAT16 on
>> floppies, right? Or. . .putting '98' on a bootable Bernoulli drive? (If
>> such
>> exists anymore?)
>>

>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Perhaps you could consider running Win98 in a virtual machine in
>> > Virtual

>> PC
>> > instead?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
>> > Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
>> > "umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> going

>> at

>> away

Tony Sperling

Oh, you have all my sympathies, however, I am quite sure that the bit-width
of the driver (16bit) has nothing to do with FAT16, the driver will work
fine on FAT32, as long as the OS is 16bit aware.

This will also make it co-habit with everything else on the machine a lot
easier, but using a second machine must be the optimal solution.

Tony. . .

"umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The reason I asked is I want to use Microsoft's analog Force Feedback
> Joystick in W98 because I think it is the FAT16 file system in W98 that

has
> the last driver available in a Microsoft operating system for force

feedback
> through a Game Port . And I don't want to pay a whole lot of cash for a

new
> USB joystick . I have an analog Force Feedback Steering Wheel with a Game
> Port connection here to try too . With a Game Port/USB adapter the force
> feedback does not work , so it's back to Windows 98 and FAT16 .
> I will use an old computer that has a AGP slot instead .
>

> --
> ...scribble...scribble...scribble...
>

> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>
> > That is a very good idea, considering! Should provide 256 colors,

easily.

> > Hmm. FAT16 - with a small enough partition. . .perhaps, but doubtfull.

VM is
> > probably better - actually I think even '98' will only support FAT16 on
> > floppies, right? Or. . .putting '98' on a bootable Bernoulli drive? (If

such
> > exists anymore?)
> >

> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Perhaps you could consider running Win98 in a virtual machine in

Virtual
> > PC
> > > instead?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
> > > Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
> > > "umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

W98/XP/64bit

> > going

display

like
> > at

> > away

Tony Sperling

Thanks, Gary. I have a frightful memory for old stuff that I don't use much
anymore. I knew that had to be just about the 'gist' of it, but became
unsure if that support ended with '95'? 2Gig, at that? I am surprised it was
as much.

Thanks!

Tony. . .

"Gary S. Terhune" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Win98 can support HD FAT16 partitions. You just have to keep them small
> enough (under 2 GB.)
>
> --
>
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> http://grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > That is a very good idea, considering! Should provide 256 colors,

easily.

> > Hmm. FAT16 - with a small enough partition. . .perhaps, but doubtfull.

VM
> > is
> > probably better - actually I think even '98' will only support FAT16 on
> > floppies, right? Or. . .putting '98' on a bootable Bernoulli drive? (If
> > such
> > exists anymore?)
> >

> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Perhaps you could consider running Win98 in a virtual machine in

Virtual
> > PC
> >> instead?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
> >> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
> >> "umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

W98/XP/64bit

> > going

display

like
> > at

> > away

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Old Joystick/Gameport is no longer supported after (and including) Windows XP
x64.
Windows XP x64 places a dummy driver so that there is no exclamation mark in
Device Manager.
Vista doesn't care about that so you have the usual unknown device thing
there.
Carlos

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> FAT16 has nothing to do with it. 16-bit has nothing to do with it.
> Sidewinder Force Feedback Joystick works just fine on Windows XP 32-bit, not
> sure about 64-bit. Drivers are already included. Whether it will work with
> new motherboards and/or 64-bit processor is another story. What kind of
> processor is it?
>
> Most problems with the Sidewinder Force-Feedback are hardware
> incompatibilities. There are also many games for which the FF part doesn't
> work. It either works or it doesn't. I suggest you get a modern joystick
> rather than sweating this. Or do as suggested and use a virtual machine.
> *Might* actually work, though I have my doubts.
>
> --
>
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> http://grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>
> "umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The reason I asked is I want to use Microsoft's analog Force Feedback
> > Joystick in W98 because I think it is the FAT16 file system in W98 that
> > has
> > the last driver available in a Microsoft operating system for force
> > feedback
> > through a Game Port . And I don't want to pay a whole lot of cash for a
> > new
> > USB joystick . I have an analog Force Feedback Steering Wheel with a Game
> > Port connection here to try too . With a Game Port/USB adapter the force
> > feedback does not work , so it's back to Windows 98 and FAT16 .
> > I will use an old computer that has a AGP slot instead .
> >

> > --
> > ...scribble...scribble...scribble...
> >

> > "Tony Sperling" wrote:
> >
> >> That is a very good idea, considering! Should provide 256 colors, easily.
> >>
> >> Hmm. FAT16 - with a small enough partition. . .perhaps, but doubtfull. VM
> >> is
> >> probably better - actually I think even '98' will only support FAT16 on
> >> floppies, right? Or. . .putting '98' on a bootable Bernoulli drive? (If
> >> such
> >> exists anymore?)
> >>

> >> Tony. . .
> >>

> >> "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> PC

> >> going
> >> at

> >> away

=?Utf-8?B?dW13aGF0?=

Thankyou for feedback , I'll try the Windows 98 compatible computer and I'll
remove the FAT16 bit partition I made especially for the force feedback
joystick .