Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Sata drives , dual boot 98/XP/64bit

Sata drives , dual boot 98/XP/64bit

Colin Barnhorst

Especially since Win9x's 512MB ram limitation means that the hardware simply
isn;t right to multi-boot Win98 and Vista. 1GB of ram for Vista will mean
big instabilities for Win98. 512MB for Win98 will mean perf issues with
Vista. Catch 22. VPC 2007 is the way to go. Besides, Win98 is officially
dead now anyway.

"Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Perhaps you could consider running Win98 in a virtual machine in Virtual
> PC instead?
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
> "umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> ...oh well , triple boot...I had hoped I could triple boot W98/XP/64bit
>> but
>> the X800Xt graphics card doesn't support W98 . I'm hoping Fat 16 is going
>> work in the Sata drives . Is there something I can do to have a display
>> driver for the X800XT in W98 ? ATI says the x800xt is supported in
>> 2000/XP/64bit . I can onl get 2 and 16 colours in W98 and I would like at
>> least 256 colours display .
>>
>> ...yes , I haven't used computers for very long...but try getting me away
>> from one...
>>

>> --
>> ...scribble...scribble...scribble...

Colin Barnhorst

Aren't floppies FAT12? Anyway, everybody seems to be forgetting that the
real issue is system ram. Win98 does not work correctly with more than
512MB of ram in the box. Vista won't work very well with only 512MB in the
box. Solution: Virtualize Win98 and load up with system ram.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That is a very good idea, considering! Should provide 256 colors, easily.
>
> Hmm. FAT16 - with a small enough partition. . .perhaps, but doubtfull. VM
> is
> probably better - actually I think even '98' will only support FAT16 on
> floppies, right? Or. . .putting '98' on a bootable Bernoulli drive? (If
> such
> exists anymore?)
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Perhaps you could consider running Win98 in a virtual machine in Virtual

> PC
>> instead?
>>
>> --
>> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
>> "umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > ...oh well , triple boot...I had hoped I could triple boot W98/XP/64bit
>> > but
>> > the X800Xt graphics card doesn't support W98 . I'm hoping Fat 16 is

> going
>> > work in the Sata drives . Is there something I can do to have a display
>> > driver for the X800XT in W98 ? ATI says the x800xt is supported in
>> > 2000/XP/64bit . I can onl get 2 and 16 colours in W98 and I would like

> at
>> > least 256 colours display .
>> >
>> > ...yes , I haven't used computers for very long...but try getting me

> away
>> > from one...
>> >

>> > --
>> > ...scribble...scribble...scribble...

Colin Barnhorst

Talk about the tail wagging the dog! Maybe Vista is not right for your
situation. Moving to Vista is expensive no matter how you do it.

Don't triple boot that box. Everytime you boot into XP all of your Vista
system restore points and all of the new "previous versions" of your files
(new feature introduced with Vista) get wiped out. It is not a bug, it is
an incompatibility between the Volume Shadowcopy Services drivers in XP and
Vista. An awful lot of stuff in Vista uses VSS. You can avoid it by using
a third party boot manager that can hide Vista from XP, but the cost of that
software is more than a new joystick so I doubt you want to do that.

"umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The reason I asked is I want to use Microsoft's analog Force Feedback
> Joystick in W98 because I think it is the FAT16 file system in W98 that
> has
> the last driver available in a Microsoft operating system for force
> feedback
> through a Game Port . And I don't want to pay a whole lot of cash for a
> new
> USB joystick . I have an analog Force Feedback Steering Wheel with a Game
> Port connection here to try too . With a Game Port/USB adapter the force
> feedback does not work , so it's back to Windows 98 and FAT16 .
> I will use an old computer that has a AGP slot instead .
>

> --
> ...scribble...scribble...scribble...
>

> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>
>> That is a very good idea, considering! Should provide 256 colors, easily.
>>
>> Hmm. FAT16 - with a small enough partition. . .perhaps, but doubtfull. VM
>> is
>> probably better - actually I think even '98' will only support FAT16 on
>> floppies, right? Or. . .putting '98' on a bootable Bernoulli drive? (If
>> such
>> exists anymore?)
>>

>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Perhaps you could consider running Win98 in a virtual machine in
>> > Virtual

>> PC
>> > instead?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
>> > Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
>> > "umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> going

>> at

>> away

Gary S. Terhune

While I agree that Win98 ought to be used in a VM for this kind of thing,
Win98/98SE/ME, et al, can easily be tweaked to allow them to run on a system
with loads of RAM. Trick is to get them installed in the first place.
Easiest thing to do is temporarily remove excess RAM.

--

Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Aren't floppies FAT12? Anyway, everybody seems to be forgetting that the
> real issue is system ram. Win98 does not work correctly with more than
> 512MB of ram in the box. Vista won't work very well with only 512MB in
> the box. Solution: Virtualize Win98 and load up with system ram.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> That is a very good idea, considering! Should provide 256 colors, easily.
>>
>> Hmm. FAT16 - with a small enough partition. . .perhaps, but doubtfull. VM
>> is
>> probably better - actually I think even '98' will only support FAT16 on
>> floppies, right? Or. . .putting '98' on a bootable Bernoulli drive? (If
>> such
>> exists anymore?)
>>

>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Perhaps you could consider running Win98 in a virtual machine in Virtual

>> PC
>>> instead?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
>>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
>>> "umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> going

>> at

>> away

=?Utf-8?B?dW13aGF0?=

...well , Windows 98 just came back to life in my house . I'm using a
working Microsoft Force Feedback Joystick and will have a Force Feedback
Steering wheel going too , I hope .
I used a PCChips M810LR-H motherboard with 768MB memory and an AthlonXP
1800 processor and I'm playing Urban Assault and I hope to play Flight
Simulator 98 on it soon .
...thankyou