Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > TotalCommander can't see c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\

TotalCommander can't see c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\

Mike

A very strange behavior. TotalCommander can't see
c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc dir. It reads
c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ but the content is incomplete, it lacks
various files and directories, and so "etc" dir. Accessing it with "cd
etc" is succesfully and I can then see my hosts file.

The strange thing is on this XP x64 explorer the directory content is
correct, the problem appears with Total Commander only, it's 6.54a not
registered.
On another PC with windows server 2003 the problem does not appear.

Charlie Russel - MVP

That's because Total Commander is a 32-bit application. Windows x64 Editions

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>A very strange behavior. TotalCommander can't see
> c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc dir. It reads
> c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ but the content is incomplete, it lacks
> various files and directories, and so "etc" dir. Accessing it with "cd
> etc" is succesfully and I can then see my hosts file.
>
> The strange thing is on this XP x64 explorer the directory content is
> correct, the problem appears with Total Commander only, it's 6.54a not
> registered.
> On another PC with windows server 2003 the problem does not appear.

Charlie Russel - MVP

That's because Total Commander is a 32-bit application. x64 Editions of
Windows have two directory structures here: Windows\System32, and
Windows\SysWOW64. 32-bit applications see the SysWOW64 structure as
System32. This redirection is the same as what happens in the registry -
there is a WOW64 node in the registry that is what a 32-bit application will
see in HKLM.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>A very strange behavior. TotalCommander can't see
> c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc dir. It reads
> c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ but the content is incomplete, it lacks
> various files and directories, and so "etc" dir. Accessing it with "cd
> etc" is succesfully and I can then see my hosts file.
>
> The strange thing is on this XP x64 explorer the directory content is
> correct, the problem appears with Total Commander only, it's 6.54a not
> registered.
> On another PC with windows server 2003 the problem does not appear.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Charlie:
You are quite right.
I know of an x64 file explorer from these guys:
http://www.speedproject.de/enu/
which is called Speedcommander
(http://www.speedproject.de/enu/speed...er/index.html).
This one works in Windows x64 as a native x64 app and has proper access to
the system32 folder.
Might also be the solution for the OP in Vista x64.
I have not seen so far any Vista x64 native file manager.
Carlos

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> That's because Total Commander is a 32-bit application. x64 Editions of
> Windows have two directory structures here: Windows\System32, and
> Windows\SysWOW64. 32-bit applications see the SysWOW64 structure as
> System32. This redirection is the same as what happens in the registry -
> there is a WOW64 node in the registry that is what a 32-bit application will
> see in HKLM.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >A very strange behavior. TotalCommander can't see
> > c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc dir. It reads
> > c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ but the content is incomplete, it lacks
> > various files and directories, and so "etc" dir. Accessing it with "cd
> > etc" is succesfully and I can then see my hosts file.
> >
> > The strange thing is on this XP x64 explorer the directory content is
> > correct, the problem appears with Total Commander only, it's 6.54a not
> > registered.
> > On another PC with windows server 2003 the problem does not appear.

Dshai

Good call Carlos, nice program...;o)
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie:
> You are quite right.
> I know of an x64 file explorer from these guys:
> http://www.speedproject.de/enu/
> which is called Speedcommander
> (http://www.speedproject.de/enu/speed...er/index.html).
> This one works in Windows x64 as a native x64 app and has proper access to
> the system32 folder.
> Might also be the solution for the OP in Vista x64.
> I have not seen so far any Vista x64 native file manager.
> Carlos
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> That's because Total Commander is a 32-bit application. x64 Editions of
>> Windows have two directory structures here: Windows\System32, and
>> Windows\SysWOW64. 32-bit applications see the SysWOW64 structure as
>> System32. This redirection is the same as what happens in the registry -
>> there is a WOW64 node in the registry that is what a 32-bit application
>> will
>> see in HKLM.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> >A very strange behavior. TotalCommander can't see
>> > c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc dir. It reads
>> > c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ but the content is incomplete, it lacks
>> > various files and directories, and so "etc" dir. Accessing it with "cd
>> > etc" is succesfully and I can then see my hosts file.
>> >
>> > The strange thing is on this XP x64 explorer the directory content is
>> > correct, the problem appears with Total Commander only, it's 6.54a not
>> > registered.
>> > On another PC with windows server 2003 the problem does not appear.

Charlie Russel - MVP

I'll have to look at it, Carlos. Though I've never been quite sure why
anyone would want a third party Explorer. Well, until Vista. For that? I can
definitely see the need.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie:
> You are quite right.
> I know of an x64 file explorer from these guys:
> http://www.speedproject.de/enu/
> which is called Speedcommander
> (http://www.speedproject.de/enu/speed...er/index.html).
> This one works in Windows x64 as a native x64 app and has proper access to
> the system32 folder.
> Might also be the solution for the OP in Vista x64.
> I have not seen so far any Vista x64 native file manager.
> Carlos
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> That's because Total Commander is a 32-bit application. x64 Editions of
>> Windows have two directory structures here: Windows\System32, and
>> Windows\SysWOW64. 32-bit applications see the SysWOW64 structure as
>> System32. This redirection is the same as what happens in the registry -
>> there is a WOW64 node in the registry that is what a 32-bit application
>> will
>> see in HKLM.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> >A very strange behavior. TotalCommander can't see
>> > c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc dir. It reads
>> > c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ but the content is incomplete, it lacks
>> > various files and directories, and so "etc" dir. Accessing it with "cd
>> > etc" is succesfully and I can then see my hosts file.
>> >
>> > The strange thing is on this XP x64 explorer the directory content is
>> > correct, the problem appears with Total Commander only, it's 6.54a not
>> > registered.
>> > On another PC with windows server 2003 the problem does not appear.

John Barnes

So far, with Vista I can see the need for a third party Explorer and Search.
Just can't get used to either to where they help and not hinder.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'll have to look at it, Carlos. Though I've never been quite sure why
> anyone would want a third party Explorer. Well, until Vista. For that? I
> can definitely see the need.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Charlie:
>> You are quite right.
>> I know of an x64 file explorer from these guys:
>> http://www.speedproject.de/enu/
>> which is called Speedcommander
>> (http://www.speedproject.de/enu/speed...er/index.html).
>> This one works in Windows x64 as a native x64 app and has proper access
>> the system32 folder.
>> Might also be the solution for the OP in Vista x64.
>> I have not seen so far any Vista x64 native file manager.
>> Carlos
>>
>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> That's because Total Commander is a 32-bit application. x64 Editions of
>>> Windows have two directory structures here: Windows\System32, and
>>> Windows\SysWOW64. 32-bit applications see the SysWOW64 structure as
>>> System32. This redirection is the same as what happens in the registry -
>>> there is a WOW64 node in the registry that is what a 32-bit application
>>> will
>>> see in HKLM.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>>

>>> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Charlie:
Keyboard die-hards would look for third party explorers.
The one mentioned in my post uses the same keystrokes of the old Norton
Commander.
I use Ztreewin x86 which uses the same sequence that Xtree.
I NEVER use windows explorer except when launching x64 apps (not quite often).
Carlos

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> I'll have to look at it, Carlos. Though I've never been quite sure why
> anyone would want a third party Explorer. Well, until Vista. For that? I can
> definitely see the need.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Charlie:
> > You are quite right.
> > I know of an x64 file explorer from these guys:
> > http://www.speedproject.de/enu/
> > which is called Speedcommander
> > (http://www.speedproject.de/enu/speed...er/index.html).
> > This one works in Windows x64 as a native x64 app and has proper access to
> > the system32 folder.
> > Might also be the solution for the OP in Vista x64.
> > I have not seen so far any Vista x64 native file manager.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> That's because Total Commander is a 32-bit application. x64 Editions of
> >> Windows have two directory structures here: Windows\System32, and
> >> Windows\SysWOW64. 32-bit applications see the SysWOW64 structure as
> >> System32. This redirection is the same as what happens in the registry -
> >> there is a WOW64 node in the registry that is what a 32-bit application
> >> will
> >> see in HKLM.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> >>

> >> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

roman modic

Hello!

"Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie:
> You are quite right.
> I know of an x64 file explorer from these guys:
> http://www.speedproject.de/enu/
> which is called Speedcommander
> (http://www.speedproject.de/enu/speed...er/index.html).
> This one works in Windows x64 as a native x64 app and has proper access to
> the system32 folder.
> Might also be the solution for the OP in Vista x64.
> I have not seen so far any Vista x64 native file manager.

It is possible to use FarManager with plugin that disables
file system redirector:

http://www.farmanager.com/
http://plugring.farmanager.com/cgi-b...lectAuthor=254

Regards, Roman

Mike

roman modic wrote:
> It is possible to use FarManager with plugin that disables
> file system redirector:

I just need the same for TotalCommander