Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Multiple installs

Multiple installs

=?Utf-8?B?RGViYmll?=

I bought XP Professional about a year ago. My old computer died shortly after
that and my brother loaned me one of his. I loaded XP Pro on it, but it is
also old and I have new computer ordered. My new computer will be the 3rd
time I have loaded this program. My brother tells me he heard that Microsoft
has programed some of it's software to only load a limited number of times.
Is that true? If so, which programs? Thank you in advance for your time.
--
Debbie

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Well, there was little problem with the licensing agreement for the
successor to Windows XP, Vista. It required initially that you can only
deactivate software from one PC and transfer it to another 1 time. With
Windows XP (retail version), you can transfer the software unlimited number
of times. With the revised license agreement for Vista, you can transfer the
license and software unlimited number of times just as long as you always
deactivate and uninstall the OS from the previous computer it was installed
on.

--
Andre
Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
"Debbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I bought XP Professional about a year ago. My old computer died shortly
>after
> that and my brother loaned me one of his. I loaded XP Pro on it, but it is
> also old and I have new computer ordered. My new computer will be the 3rd
> time I have loaded this program. My brother tells me he heard that
> Microsoft
> has programed some of it's software to only load a limited number of
> times.
> Is that true? If so, which programs? Thank you in advance for your time.
> --
> Debbie

John Barnes

Providing it is a retail license.

"Bruce Chambers" <(E-Mail Removed)3t> wrote in message
news:%23FdFl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Debbie wrote:
>> I bought XP Professional about a year ago. My old computer died shortly
>> after that and my brother loaned me one of his. I loaded XP Pro on it,
>> but it is also old and I have new computer ordered. My new computer will
>> be the 3rd time I have loaded this program. My brother tells me he heard
>> that Microsoft has programed some of it's software to only load a limited
>> number of times. Is that true?

> You'd have to ask your brother to provide something to document this
> claim. The only limit to the WinXP license is that it can be installed
> only on one computer at any given time; there's no limit to the number of
> times you can serially install it on subsequent machines, provided that
> it's only installed on one computer at a time.
>

> If so, which programs?
>
> Again, ask your brother, as he's apparently heard something no one else
> has.
>

> Thank you in advance for your time.
>

> Assuming a retail license (OEM licenses are not legitimately
> transferable), simply remove WinXP from the computer it is currently on
> and then install it on the new computer. If it's been more than 120 days
> since you last activated that specific Product Key, the you'll most likely
> be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's been less,
> you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.
>
> Here are the facts pertaining to activation:
>
> Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
> http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/
>
> Windows Product Activation (WPA)
> http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand
> Russell

Bruce Chambers

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> Well, there was little problem with the licensing agreement for the
> successor to Windows XP, Vista. It required initially that you can only
> deactivate software from one PC and transfer it to another 1 time.

That "problem" has apparently been eliminated, Andre. Take a look:

http://www.toptechnews.com/story.xht...d=01000000A7BW

http://knowyourrss.blogspot.com/2006...trictions.html

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...ing-terms.aspx

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Thanks Bruce, I forgot to add earlier.
--
Andre
Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
My Vista Quickstart Guide:
http://adacosta.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E8E5CC039D51E3DB!9709.entry
"Bruce Chambers" <(E-Mail Removed)3t> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>> Well, there was little problem with the licensing agreement for the
>> successor to Windows XP, Vista. It required initially that you can only
>> deactivate software from one PC and transfer it to another 1 time.

> That "problem" has apparently been eliminated, Andre. Take a look:
>
> http://www.toptechnews.com/story.xht...d=01000000A7BW
>
> http://knowyourrss.blogspot.com/2006...trictions.html
>
> http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...ing-terms.aspx
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand
> Russell

=?Utf-8?B?RGViYmll?=

Thanks so much, you guys were very helpful.
--
Debbie