Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Acrobat 8 Available w/ x64 Printer

Acrobat 8 Available w/ x64 Printer

Aaron Kelley

Acrobat 8.0 has been released. PDF printing support for x64 systems is
included (finally).

Trial link: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro/tryout.html

Note - There are cheaper programs that can write PDF files from Windows.
However, I use this since this is what we use at work and it is nice to see
x64 support. However, when I installed it, and it tried to install the
print driver, something interesting happened.

It asked me to insert the "Windows Vista CD-ROM" so that it could find
AdobePDF.dll. This is interesting for a couple of reasons... First, I'm
running Windows XP x64 still, and also, why would AdobePDF.dll be on the
Vista CD-ROM? Anyway, I used WinRAR to dig AdobePDF.dll_64 out of
DATA1.CAB, renamed it to AdobePDF.dll, and told it to use that. It took it
and PDF printing works fine. I am thinking maybe it is confused because
only Vista 64-bit support is included and not XP x64. Anyway, I can't find
any documentation about 64-bit support at all so I'm happy that it is
working.

- Aaron

Charlie Russel - MVP

Glad to hear it's working. I won't hold my breath for them to back port it,
though. And the install sounds seriously borked, but the fix is
straight-forward.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Aaron Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e0PyE23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Acrobat 8.0 has been released. PDF printing support for x64 systems is
> included (finally).
>
> Trial link: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro/tryout.html
>
> Note - There are cheaper programs that can write PDF files from Windows.
> However, I use this since this is what we use at work and it is nice to
> see x64 support. However, when I installed it, and it tried to install
> the print driver, something interesting happened.
>
> It asked me to insert the "Windows Vista CD-ROM" so that it could find
> AdobePDF.dll. This is interesting for a couple of reasons... First, I'm
> running Windows XP x64 still, and also, why would AdobePDF.dll be on the
> Vista CD-ROM? Anyway, I used WinRAR to dig AdobePDF.dll_64 out of
> DATA1.CAB, renamed it to AdobePDF.dll, and told it to use that. It took
> it and PDF printing works fine. I am thinking maybe it is confused
> because only Vista 64-bit support is included and not XP x64. Anyway, I
> can't find any documentation about 64-bit support at all so I'm happy that
> it is working.
>
> - Aaron

Aaron Kelley

Yep.
I am going to try to install it on Vista x64 soon to see if it's really just
an XP vs. Vista thing or if the install is borked there as well.

- Aaron

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Glad to hear it's working. I won't hold my breath for them to back port
> it, though. And the install sounds seriously borked, but the fix is
> straight-forward.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Aaron Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e0PyE23$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Acrobat 8.0 has been released. PDF printing support for x64 systems is
>> included (finally).
>>
>> Trial link: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro/tryout.html
>>
>> Note - There are cheaper programs that can write PDF files from Windows.
>> However, I use this since this is what we use at work and it is nice to
>> see x64 support. However, when I installed it, and it tried to install
>> the print driver, something interesting happened.
>>
>> It asked me to insert the "Windows Vista CD-ROM" so that it could find
>> AdobePDF.dll. This is interesting for a couple of reasons... First, I'm
>> running Windows XP x64 still, and also, why would AdobePDF.dll be on the
>> Vista CD-ROM? Anyway, I used WinRAR to dig AdobePDF.dll_64 out of
>> DATA1.CAB, renamed it to AdobePDF.dll, and told it to use that. It took
>> it and PDF printing works fine. I am thinking maybe it is confused
>> because only Vista 64-bit support is included and not XP x64. Anyway, I
>> can't find any documentation about 64-bit support at all so I'm happy
>> that it is working.
>>
>> - Aaron

Aaron Kelley

Nope... Exact same thing happened in Vista x64. Ah well.

- Aaron

"Aaron Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ORQLIy6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yep.
> I am going to try to install it on Vista x64 soon to see if it's really
> just an XP vs. Vista thing or if the install is borked there as well.
>
> - Aaron

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Glad to hear it's working. I won't hold my breath for them to back port
>> it, though. And the install sounds seriously borked, but the fix is
>> straight-forward.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Aaron Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:e0PyE23$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Acrobat 8.0 has been released. PDF printing support for x64 systems is
>>> included (finally).
>>>
>>> Trial link: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro/tryout.html
>>>
>>> Note - There are cheaper programs that can write PDF files from Windows.
>>> However, I use this since this is what we use at work and it is nice to
>>> see x64 support. However, when I installed it, and it tried to install
>>> the print driver, something interesting happened.
>>>
>>> It asked me to insert the "Windows Vista CD-ROM" so that it could find
>>> AdobePDF.dll. This is interesting for a couple of reasons... First,
>>> I'm running Windows XP x64 still, and also, why would AdobePDF.dll be on
>>> the Vista CD-ROM? Anyway, I used WinRAR to dig AdobePDF.dll_64 out of
>>> DATA1.CAB, renamed it to AdobePDF.dll, and told it to use that. It took
>>> it and PDF printing works fine. I am thinking maybe it is confused
>>> because only Vista 64-bit support is included and not XP x64. Anyway, I
>>> can't find any documentation about 64-bit support at all so I'm happy
>>> that it is working.
>>>
>>> - Aaron

No Spam

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 13:23:16 -0600, "Aaron Kelley"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Acrobat 8.0 has been released. PDF printing support for x64 systems is
>included (finally).
>
>Trial link: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro/tryout.html
>
>Note - There are cheaper programs that can write PDF files from Windows.
>However, I use this since this is what we use at work and it is nice to see
>x64 support. However, when I installed it, and it tried to install the
>print driver, something interesting happened.
>
>It asked me to insert the "Windows Vista CD-ROM" so that it could find
>AdobePDF.dll. This is interesting for a couple of reasons... First, I'm
>running Windows XP x64 still, and also, why would AdobePDF.dll be on the
>Vista CD-ROM? Anyway, I used WinRAR to dig AdobePDF.dll_64 out of
>DATA1.CAB, renamed it to AdobePDF.dll, and told it to use that. >

I am also using XP 64 edition [OEM] but I don't appear to have
DATA1.CAB on the install disc and WinRAR didn't find it either.
I pointed the installation of V8 to the AdobePDF.dll in my Windows
directory and it loaded OK.

Acrobat V8 opens and prints OK. However when I try to create a pdf
file from Family Tree Maker 16, the program crashes [as it did before
with Acrobat v7] presumable this is because the AdobePDF.dll that was
in my Windows directory is incompatible.

Where can I get hold of AdobePDF.dll_64 then?

[snip]

Aaron Kelley

It's possible that the AdobePDF.dll you found in your system32 directory is
the correct one. I didn't look there when I was installing. I'll look at
it next time.

I found DATA1.CAB in the files that the installer created before it ran, in
C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Local Settings\Temp\Acrobat 8.0
(or something similar)

If this crash also occurred with Acrobat v7, I would suspect that the old
problem is still there sooner than I would suspect using the wrong
AdobePDF.dll.

- Aaron

"No Spam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 13:23:16 -0600, "Aaron Kelley"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Acrobat 8.0 has been released. PDF printing support for x64 systems is
>>included (finally).
>>
>>Trial link: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro/tryout.html
>>
>>Note - There are cheaper programs that can write PDF files from Windows.
>>However, I use this since this is what we use at work and it is nice to
>>see
>>x64 support. However, when I installed it, and it tried to install the
>>print driver, something interesting happened.
>>
>>It asked me to insert the "Windows Vista CD-ROM" so that it could find
>>AdobePDF.dll. This is interesting for a couple of reasons... First, I'm
>>running Windows XP x64 still, and also, why would AdobePDF.dll be on the
>>Vista CD-ROM? Anyway, I used WinRAR to dig AdobePDF.dll_64 out of
>>DATA1.CAB, renamed it to AdobePDF.dll, and told it to use that. >

> I am also using XP 64 edition [OEM] but I don't appear to have
> DATA1.CAB on the install disc and WinRAR didn't find it either.
> I pointed the installation of V8 to the AdobePDF.dll in my Windows
> directory and it loaded OK.
>
> Acrobat V8 opens and prints OK. However when I try to create a pdf
> file from Family Tree Maker 16, the program crashes [as it did before
> with Acrobat v7] presumable this is because the AdobePDF.dll that was
> in my Windows directory is incompatible.
>

> Where can I get hold of AdobePDF.dll_64 then?
>

> [snip]

No Spam

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 08:37:45 -0600, "Aaron Kelley"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It's possible that the AdobePDF.dll you found in your system32 directory is
>the correct one. I didn't look there when I was installing. I'll look at
>it next time.
>
>I found DATA1.CAB in the files that the installer created before it ran, in
>C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Local Settings\Temp\Acrobat 8.0
>(or something similar)

My installation files have long gone unfortunately

>If this crash also occurred with Acrobat v7, I would suspect that the old
>problem is still there sooner than I would suspect using the wrong
>AdobePDF.dll.

That's a good point. The fault might be with Family Tree Maker 16
since Control Panel/Printers and Faxes/Adobe PDF will produce a test
page and other pdf files print out with no problem.

The adobepdf.dll file is version 8.

trunksy

I'm running Vista x64 and I'm having a problem creating the Adobe PDF
port. It keeps saying:

"An error occured installing port monitor 'Adobe PDF Port'. Please
contact the manufacturer for assistance."

I think it's trying to copy AdobePDF.dll to the C:\Windows\System32
directory but I've tried several ways to get the file there. Could it
be related to UAC? Is there a way to temporarily remove UAC?

--
trunksy
trunksy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=19011

http://www.techarena.in

Dennis Pack

trunksy:
During installation you get a search window looking for
AdobePDF.dll. The installation program is looking in the i386 folder for
this file. Click the browse button this opens the i386 folder which is
empty, click the backup button on the taskbar (next to the new folder
button), you will then see 2 folders, AMD64 and i386, open the AMD64 folder
and the AdobePDF.dll file is there, highlight it and click continue. Since
you've already installed the program, reinstall the program, when you get
the choice to modify, repair or uninstall, choose repair. During the repair
you will get the search box. If you're running Windows x64 the procedure is
different.

"trunksy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm running Vista x64 and I'm having a problem creating the Adobe PDF
> port. It keeps saying:
>
> "An error occured installing port monitor 'Adobe PDF Port'. Please
> contact the manufacturer for assistance."
>
> I think it's trying to copy AdobePDF.dll to the C:\Windows\System32
> directory but I've tried several ways to get the file there. Could it
> be related to UAC? Is there a way to temporarily remove UAC?
>

> --
> trunksy
> trunksy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=19011
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=619235
>
> http://www.techarena.in

trunksy

Yeah, I got through the search box part fine (repointing it to the AMD6
folder in the Adobe Program Files) and it created the printer but i
didn't create the port so my attempts to print document to it goe
nowhere. It doesn't try to save it to a file

--
trunks

http://www.techarena.i