Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Routers for XP64?

Routers for XP64?

me@tarquin.demon.co.uk

I've been told that no wireless routers have s/ware for XP64 - correct
or?

jabloomf1230

My Belkin wireless router works fine with x64 as did my previous Linksys
wireless router. Routers generally don't need an OS driver and all
access to their settings is from a HTML interface (Internet Explorer or
Firefox).

> I've been told that no wireless routers have s/ware for XP64 - correct
> or?
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0645-3, 11/02/2006
> Tested on: 11/2/2006 6:46:06 PM

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Linksys WRT54G v4 working Ok here, both Windows and Vista x64.
Carlos

"jabloomf1230" wrote:

> My Belkin wireless router works fine with x64 as did my previous Linksys
> wireless router. Routers generally don't need an OS driver and all
> access to their settings is from a HTML interface (Internet Explorer or
> Firefox).
>
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I've been told that no wireless routers have s/ware for XP64 - correct
> > or?
> >

> > ---
> > avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean.
> > Virus Database (VPS): 0645-3, 11/02/2006
> > Tested on: 11/2/2006 6:46:06 PM
> > avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2006 ALWIL Software.

Bruce Chambers

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I've been told that no wireless routers have s/ware for XP64 - correct
> or?

Well, since a router is completely independent of the OS on any
machines on the network, I guess one could say that it's true.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Charlie Russel - MVP

Routers don't give a hoot about the OS. That's the whole reason for using
them - they're completely platform independent. So while the statement is
technically correct, it's totally meaningless. Most consumer grade wireless
routers use a web page to configure them.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been told that no wireless routers have s/ware for XP64 - correct
> or?

Jud Hendrix

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 22:47:05 +0000, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I've been told that no wireless routers have s/ware for XP64 - correct
>or?

You don't need software for x64 to manage the router. This is usually done
via a web-interface on the router itself. Maybe you are talking about the
lack of WPA2 in x64?

jud

DP

"Jud Hendrix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 22:47:05 +0000, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> Maybe you are talking about the
> lack of WPA2 in x64?

My router is attached to a machine using 32-bit XP machine. My x64 machine
connects wirelessly to that router. Under the list of networks, my x64
machine refers to my network as "Security-enabled wireless network (WPA)."
Does that conflict with what you are saying, Jud? I'm pretty much clueless
when it comes to networking, so I'm asking, not challenging, you.

DP

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been told that no wireless routers have s/ware for XP64 - correct
> or?

As other responders have already told you, that's not true.

Now, where things may get a little complicated is if you try to connect your
X64 to that network using a wireless network adapter. Those things require
drivers and you may have to do some searching for 64-bit drivers for those
adapters.
Getting my USB wireless network adapter to work in x64 was probably the
hardest part of my transition to this OS. It also was complicated when
trying Vista RC1, but at least my earlier experience with x64 made this a
little easier.

Jud Hendrix

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 03:04:47 -0600, "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My router is attached to a machine using 32-bit XP machine. My x64 machine
>connects wirelessly to that router. Under the list of networks, my x64
>machine refers to my network as "Security-enabled wireless network (WPA)."
>Does that conflict with what you are saying, Jud? I'm pretty much clueless
>when it comes to networking, so I'm asking, not challenging, you.

WPA2 is improved WPA, and as far as I know, that is still not in XP64.

jud

DP

"Jud Hendrix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 03:04:47 -0600, "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>My router is attached to a machine using 32-bit XP machine. My x64 machine
>>connects wirelessly to that router. Under the list of networks, my x64
>>machine refers to my network as "Security-enabled wireless network (WPA)."
>>Does that conflict with what you are saying, Jud? I'm pretty much
>>clueless
>>when it comes to networking, so I'm asking, not challenging, you.

> WPA2 is improved WPA, and as far as I know, that is still not in XP64.

Sorry. I missed the --2-- in your post.
Never mind.