Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Firewall

Firewall

Grimscythe

Can anyone point me to any decent 64-bit firewalls(except AVG 7.0)?
Thanks.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

From Dominic Payer:
Outpost v4 firewall is now available and supports x64.

30 day trial at http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/download.php
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
"Grimscythe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Can anyone point me to any decent 64-bit firewalls(except AVG 7.0)?
> Thanks.

Benjamin Gawert

* Grimscythe:

> Can anyone point me to any decent 64-bit firewalls(except AVG 7.0)?

Since most of these personal firewalls don't provide real protection but
often just incorporate additional security holes I'd recommend staying
with the built-in firewall. If you want better protection you need a
separate firewall that runs on its own hardware (hardware firewall,
router etc).

Benjamin

Tony Sperling

Would a Wireless Router with a firewall fill that description, do you think?

Tony. . .

"Benjamin Gawert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uU2nSIl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> * Grimscythe:
>
> > Can anyone point me to any decent 64-bit firewalls(except AVG 7.0)?

> Since most of these personal firewalls don't provide real protection but
> often just incorporate additional security holes I'd recommend staying
> with the built-in firewall. If you want better protection you need a
> separate firewall that runs on its own hardware (hardware firewall,
> router etc).
>
> Benjamin

Jud Hendrix

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 12:23:46 +0100, "Tony Sperling"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Would a Wireless Router with a firewall fill that description, do you think?

Nvidia mobo's have a built-in firewall. But this causes problems as has
been said here before.

jud

Charlie Russel - MVP

Personally, I'm quite pleased with the built in Windows Firewall.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Grimscythe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Can anyone point me to any decent 64-bit firewalls(except AVG 7.0)?
> Thanks.

Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]

What do you think of the new Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
Charlie? It looks like over kill to me. I thought it was for IT
environments, but its in Vista Home Basic x64 also.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Personally, I'm quite pleased with the built in Windows Firewall.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Grimscythe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> Can anyone point me to any decent 64-bit firewalls(except AVG 7.0)?
>> Thanks.

Benjamin Gawert

* Tony Sperling:

> Would a Wireless Router with a firewall fill that description, do you think?

Definitely, especially if the router is one of the better ones (i.e.
Linksys)...

Benjamin

Tony Sperling

It's just that I have this Ovis 'Airlive' with a Firewall, the documenation
is not voluminous and I just set it up by it's defaults, not sure if it
helps much, but apparently the fact that the hardware that runs the two are
different is an extra protection even if they are set up the same - all that
is over my head, I confess.

A long time ago I ran the tests on the Gibson site and had a clean sheet,
several things that Windows machines rarely passed was completely covered,
it said. I am aware that such tests don't have to mean a lot, but I took it
as proof that my ISP has done their job, and that I didn't do anything
enormously stupid.

Tony. . .

"Benjamin Gawert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OAN967r$(E-Mail Removed)...
> * Tony Sperling:
>
> > Would a Wireless Router with a firewall fill that description, do you

think?

> Definitely, especially if the router is one of the better ones (i.e.
> Linksys)...
>
> Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert

* Tony Sperling:

> It's just that I have this Ovis 'Airlive' with a Firewall, the documenation
> is not voluminous and I just set it up by it's defaults, not sure if it
> helps much, but apparently the fact that the hardware that runs the two are
> different is an extra protection even if they are set up the same - all that
> is over my head, I confess.

I don't know this specific model but even the worst router w/o any
firewall still provides a lot of protection just because of NAT (Network
Address Translation, simply spoken means that your computer or any other
device of the LAN is not visible to the outside world, just the router).

> A long time ago I ran the tests on the Gibson site and had a clean sheet,
> several things that Windows machines rarely passed was completely covered,
> it said. I am aware that such tests don't have to mean a lot, but I took it
> as proof that my ISP has done their job, and that I didn't do anything
> enormously stupid.

Definitely not.

Benjamin