Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x64 Can't Find Hard Drive

x64 Can't Find Hard Drive

=?Utf-8?B?TG9zdCBpbiBhIE1pY3Jvc29mdCBXb3JsZA==?=

HP xw4400 Workstation
Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.4 GHz

Trying to install x64. Machine currently has xp32bit on the c: drive.
Brand new machine. When I boot from CD with the x64 disk, it gets to the
Windows Setup portion and says:

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"

My only option is to quit the setup. What am I missing here? Let me know
if more information is required.

John Barnes

If you have SATA drives you may need to provide drivers using F6 early in
the install

"Lost in a Microsoft World" <Lost in a Microsoft
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> HP xw4400 Workstation
> Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.4 GHz
>
> Trying to install x64. Machine currently has xp32bit on the c: drive.
> Brand new machine. When I boot from CD with the x64 disk, it gets to the
> Windows Setup portion and says:
>
> "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"
>
> My only option is to quit the setup. What am I missing here? Let me know
> if more information is required.

Nut Cracker

Did you press the F6 key during the Windwos Installation to and feed it the
necessary x64 driver for the disk controller? My guess is that the
controller in the workstation isnt natively supported by the x64 media.

- NuTs

"Lost in a Microsoft World" <Lost in a Microsoft
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> HP xw4400 Workstation
> Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.4 GHz
>
> Trying to install x64. Machine currently has xp32bit on the c: drive.
> Brand new machine. When I boot from CD with the x64 disk, it gets to the
> Windows Setup portion and says:
>
> "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"
>
> My only option is to quit the setup. What am I missing here? Let me know
> if more information is required.

Theo

Go to the HP web site and download the driver for Win x64.
They have a whole page of them for everything in the system.
Apparently you need the chipset drivers because you have
SATA drives in the box!

Lost in a Microsoft World wrote:
> HP xw4400 Workstation
> Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.4 GHz
>
> Trying to install x64. Machine currently has xp32bit on the c: drive.
> Brand new machine. When I boot from CD with the x64 disk, it gets to the
> Windows Setup portion and says:
>
> "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"
>
> My only option is to quit the setup. What am I missing here? Let me know
> if more information is required.

=?Utf-8?B?TG9zdCBpbiBhIE1pY3Jvc29mdCBXb3JsZA==?=

I downloaded the the chipset, ran the .exe, burned the files to a CD,
rebooted the machine with the x64 setup disks, hit F6 to specify disks, fed
the CD with the burned chipset setup file and it came back with "it could not
find the floppy drive". This machine does not have a floppy drive. I copied
the setup file and the .cva file when I ran the .exe onto the CD. Am I
copying the wrong file?

"Theo" wrote:

> Go to the HP web site and download the driver for Win x64.
> They have a whole page of them for everything in the system.
> Apparently you need the chipset drivers because you have
> SATA drives in the box!
>

> Lost in a Microsoft World wrote:
> > HP xw4400 Workstation
> > Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.4 GHz
> >
> > Trying to install x64. Machine currently has xp32bit on the c: drive.
> > Brand new machine. When I boot from CD with the x64 disk, it gets to the
> > Windows Setup portion and says:
> >
> > "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"
> >
> > My only option is to quit the setup. What am I missing here? Let me know
> > if more information is required.

Aaron Kelley

Drivers can only be loaded via floppy drive during Windows setup.
(Actually, I think there is a way to burn a new Windows install CD with
additional drivers, but I haven't done this myself.)
You cannot load the drivers from a separate CD.

This is silly, yes, however, in Windows Vista you can finally load drivers
from other media (CD or USB flash drive).

- Aaron

"Lost in a Microsoft World"
<(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I downloaded the the chipset, ran the .exe, burned the files to a CD,
> rebooted the machine with the x64 setup disks, hit F6 to specify disks,
> fed
> the CD with the burned chipset setup file and it came back with "it could
> not
> find the floppy drive". This machine does not have a floppy drive. I
> copied
> the setup file and the .cva file when I ran the .exe onto the CD. Am I
> copying the wrong file?
>
> "Theo" wrote:
>
>> Go to the HP web site and download the driver for Win x64.
>> They have a whole page of them for everything in the system.
>> Apparently you need the chipset drivers because you have
>> SATA drives in the box!
>>

>> Lost in a Microsoft World wrote:
>> > HP xw4400 Workstation
>> > Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.4 GHz
>> >
>> > Trying to install x64. Machine currently has xp32bit on the c: drive.
>> > Brand new machine. When I boot from CD with the x64 disk, it gets to
>> > the
>> > Windows Setup portion and says:
>> >
>> > "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"
>> >
>> > My only option is to quit the setup. What am I missing here? Let me
>> > know
>> > if more information is required.

Theo

With Win x64 you have to have a floppy to load the drivers
during installation.

You need to contact HP Tech Support by telephone and discuss
your problem with them because it looks like their driver
package does not have the standard layout needed to load the
drivers via floppy. It may not be the correct file, either.

You must realize this is not a hardware Tech Support forum.
It's a forum for finding solutions to problems with 64-bit
Windows operating systems. You obviously are in over your
head and you need to go to HP for Tech Support to solve your
dilemma.

Lost in a Microsoft World wrote:
> I downloaded the the chipset, ran the .exe, burned the files to a CD,
> rebooted the machine with the x64 setup disks, hit F6 to specify disks, fed
> the CD with the burned chipset setup file and it came back with "it could not
> find the floppy drive". This machine does not have a floppy drive. I copied
> the setup file and the .cva file when I ran the .exe onto the CD. Am I
> copying the wrong file?
>
> "Theo" wrote:
>
>> Go to the HP web site and download the driver for Win x64.
>> They have a whole page of them for everything in the system.
>> Apparently you need the chipset drivers because you have
>> SATA drives in the box!
>>

>> Lost in a Microsoft World wrote:
>>> HP xw4400 Workstation
>>> Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.4 GHz
>>>
>>> Trying to install x64. Machine currently has xp32bit on the c: drive.
>>> Brand new machine. When I boot from CD with the x64 disk, it gets to the
>>> Windows Setup portion and says:
>>>
>>> "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"
>>>
>>> My only option is to quit the setup. What am I missing here? Let me know
>>> if more information is required.

Charlie Russel - MVP

1.) You don't need the "chipset" drivers. You need the disk controller
drivers, which are usually separate from the chipset drivers.
2.) You need the specific "F6" floppy drive portion of those drivers.
3.) You need a floppy drive. Period. Borrow one from another machine, use a
USB floppy drive, buy one -- I don't care how you get there, but you MUST
have a floppy drive to install the drivers. The XP (and older, all the way
back to NT3.1) boot loader ONLY knows to look to the floppy for these
drivers. That won't change until Vista.
4.) You seem like a nice person, but you also appear to be in over your
head. Are you sure you want to be installing XP x64? It's not generally
recommended for the casual Windows user unless there's a specific need. What
application or other need is driving you to XP x64?

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Lost in a Microsoft World"