Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > What should I be looking for?

What should I be looking for?

T5

I have installed xp pro x 64 but am wondering what is different to xp pro x
86. I cannot seem to find many differences, annoying having to switch
internet browsers from 64 bit to 32 bit to do certain things. Seems to be a
little bit more stable but other than that what are the advantages?

What does 64 bit actually do?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Haven't heard anything about this yet. You might want to try the 64Bit newsgroup.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"T5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have installed xp pro x 64 but am wondering what is different to xp pro x
> 86. I cannot seem to find many differences, annoying having to switch
> internet browsers from 64 bit to 32 bit to do certain things. Seems to be a
> little bit more stable but other than that what are the advantages?
>
> What does 64 bit actually do?

Charlie Russel - MVP

It does many things, but the most obvious one is increase the available
virtual memory address space. For 32-bit applications, many will run at the
same speed as in 32-bit windows. Some will actually run faster, since
they'll have additional access to memory, along with a better I/O subsystem.
Some 32-bit applications won't run at all until they have re-written drivers
or other limiting factors.

64-bit applications are still few and far between, but more are coming. One
area that will see large gains moving forward is the whole area of digital
media.

And, as for stability - in XP x64, many of us have found the OS to be
somewhat more stable. And in Vista x64, I expect that to be even more true,
as we move to only supporting signed drivers in Vista x64.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"T5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have installed xp pro x 64 but am wondering what is different to xp pro x
>86. I cannot seem to find many differences, annoying having to switch
>internet browsers from 64 bit to 32 bit to do certain things. Seems to be a
>little bit more stable but other than that what are the advantages?
>
> What does 64 bit actually do?

Admiral Q

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
Haven't heard anything about this yet. You might want to try the 64Bit
newsgroup.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

"T5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have installed xp pro x 64 but am wondering what is different to xp pro x
> 86. I cannot seem to find many differences, annoying having to switch
> internet browsers from 64 bit to 32 bit to do certain things. Seems to be
> little bit more stable but other than that what are the advantages?
>
> What does 64 bit actually do?

This is the 64bit Newsgroup.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!

Google is your Friend!
http://www.google.com

Bruce Chambers

T5 wrote:
> I have installed xp pro x 64 but am wondering what is different to xp pro x
> 86. I cannot seem to find many differences, annoying having to switch
> internet browsers from 64 bit to 32 bit to do certain things. Seems to be a
> little bit more stable but other than that what are the advantages?
>
> What does 64 bit actually do?

Provides better performance for 64-bit applications.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Colin Barnhorst

Why do you insist on installing things first and then checking to see if you
need them later? You do this constantly and then expect the rest of us to
validate your experiments for you. Do some research before you jump into
stuff. Charlie Russel went to the trouble of writing several great white
papers for just this reason. He will also conduct a live meeting later this
week covering all of this 64bit stuff. The link for the webcast is in his
post on this ng a few days ago.

"T5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have installed xp pro x 64 but am wondering what is different to xp pro x
>86. I cannot seem to find many differences, annoying having to switch
>internet browsers from 64 bit to 32 bit to do certain things. Seems to be a
>little bit more stable but other than that what are the advantages?
>
> What does 64 bit actually do?

T5

Colin, you are wrong my freind, I do not install things first and then come
whinging to the newsgroup. I read a lot of posts and I read a lot of
articles. But it is like this, some like it and some do not and some are
unconvinced, I fall into the unconvinced category. Please remember that not
all of us who post to the newsgroups are MVP's or high flying programmers or
even computer technicians but lowly amateurs who like to have a minimal
grasp of what they are letting themselves in for.

We, unlike your good self do not have the time to research things to the
degree that you do, because we have our jobs to do. But unless we show some
interest in the emerging technology how the heck would we know what software
works with what hardware, and please don't say, "ask your local PC World
Technician"

I spend a great deal of my time (spare) fixing peoples PC problems (without
reward I might say) and the only way I feel confident to do that is through
the help I have received from the newsgroups. I don't find it helpful when
people lambast me for wanting to know something,

Why do you insist on installing things first and then checking to see if you
> need them later? You do this constantly and then expect the rest of us to
> validate your experiments for you.

Do you suggest I say I need it now and then install it? >>>>>> I think thats
why MS have given us a trial at their software to let us be the judges
rather than giving us no choice.

news:OvU$8$(E-Mail Removed)...