Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Non-Vista print drivers in Vista 64 RC1?

Non-Vista print drivers in Vista 64 RC1?

Larry Hodges

Well, I'm faced with going back to XP on my laptop. I need sound. Or I
could try Vista 64 RC1.

I did install Vista 64 RC1 on it, and it ran great before I crashed
everything, including the sound. But I didn't have a chance to install and
test print drivers. I've been told you can run 32 bit drivers on 64 bit
Vista? I have two printers, both with x64 drivers. I wonder if the XP x64
drivers would work. It would be nice to know before going through the
effort. Canon MP500 and a new HP 4180, both multi-function.

Has anybody gotten these printers to run? Similar printers?

And any issues with software I should know about? Adobe Acrobat?

Thanks guys,
-Larry

Aaron Kelley

32-bit printer drivers will *not* work on Vista x64. Windows XP x64 drivers
*might* work.

I have a Canon MP530, works with x64 drivers from Canon's site.

HP printer support in x64 seems pretty good. I have a PSC 2110 that worked
fine, I understand most of the rest of the PSC series works fine. I am not
familiar with the 4180.

Acrobat's printing to PDF will not work in 64-bit Windows. They've
announced Acrobat 8, arriving in November. Hopefully, this will have a
64-bit PDF print driver.

- Aaron

"Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, I'm faced with going back to XP on my laptop. I need sound. Or I
> could try Vista 64 RC1.
>
> I did install Vista 64 RC1 on it, and it ran great before I crashed
> everything, including the sound. But I didn't have a chance to install
> and test print drivers. I've been told you can run 32 bit drivers on 64
> bit Vista? I have two printers, both with x64 drivers. I wonder if the
> XP x64 drivers would work. It would be nice to know before going through
> the effort. Canon MP500 and a new HP 4180, both multi-function.
>
> Has anybody gotten these printers to run? Similar printers?
>
> And any issues with software I should know about? Adobe Acrobat?
>
> Thanks guys,
> -Larry

Colin Barnhorst

You cannot run 32bit drivers in any 64bit version of Windows, including
Vista. Period. I suggest you check in the
microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices newsgroup for advice on the
driver situation for your printers. If Canon and HP are not listing Vista
x64 drivers for your printers then you are not likely to get them working.
Software issues are too numerous and varied to discuss in a newsgroup reply.
You need to scan the Vista public newsgroups for what others have found. As
for Acrobat, the best source is the Adobe website.

You should not attempt to use Vista as your operating system on a production
or primary home computer. If you are, you should wait until Vista is
released and companies like Canon and HP have completed writing their
drivers for Vista.

"Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, I'm faced with going back to XP on my laptop. I need sound. Or I
> could try Vista 64 RC1.
>
> I did install Vista 64 RC1 on it, and it ran great before I crashed
> everything, including the sound. But I didn't have a chance to install
> and test print drivers. I've been told you can run 32 bit drivers on 64
> bit Vista? I have two printers, both with x64 drivers. I wonder if the
> XP x64 drivers would work. It would be nice to know before going through
> the effort. Canon MP500 and a new HP 4180, both multi-function.
>
> Has anybody gotten these printers to run? Similar printers?
>
> And any issues with software I should know about? Adobe Acrobat?
>
> Thanks guys,
> -Larry

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

PSC 1410 runs out of the box, both printing and scanning in Vista x64.
For printing to PDF (I didn't try it), 32-bit freeware pdfcreator
(sourceforge.net) should work.
It does in Windows XP x64 so it might work in Vista x64.
Carlos

"Aaron Kelley" wrote:

> 32-bit printer drivers will *not* work on Vista x64. Windows XP x64 drivers
> *might* work.
>
> I have a Canon MP530, works with x64 drivers from Canon's site.
>
> HP printer support in x64 seems pretty good. I have a PSC 2110 that worked
> fine, I understand most of the rest of the PSC series works fine. I am not
> familiar with the 4180.
>
> Acrobat's printing to PDF will not work in 64-bit Windows. They've
> announced Acrobat 8, arriving in November. Hopefully, this will have a
> 64-bit PDF print driver.
>
> - Aaron
>
> "Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Well, I'm faced with going back to XP on my laptop. I need sound. Or I
> > could try Vista 64 RC1.
> >
> > I did install Vista 64 RC1 on it, and it ran great before I crashed
> > everything, including the sound. But I didn't have a chance to install
> > and test print drivers. I've been told you can run 32 bit drivers on 64
> > bit Vista? I have two printers, both with x64 drivers. I wonder if the
> > XP x64 drivers would work. It would be nice to know before going through
> > the effort. Canon MP500 and a new HP 4180, both multi-function.
> >
> > Has anybody gotten these printers to run? Similar printers?
> >
> > And any issues with software I should know about? Adobe Acrobat?
> >
> > Thanks guys,
> > -Larry

Charlie Russel - MVP

I'm seeing lots of problems with ALL of the print to pdf solutions at this
point, in both 32-bit and 64-bit Vista. It's a VISTA issue, not a 64-bit
issue.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> PSC 1410 runs out of the box, both printing and scanning in Vista x64.
> For printing to PDF (I didn't try it), 32-bit freeware pdfcreator
> (sourceforge.net) should work.
> It does in Windows XP x64 so it might work in Vista x64.
> Carlos
>
> "Aaron Kelley" wrote:
>
>> 32-bit printer drivers will *not* work on Vista x64. Windows XP x64
>> drivers
>> *might* work.
>>
>> I have a Canon MP530, works with x64 drivers from Canon's site.
>>
>> HP printer support in x64 seems pretty good. I have a PSC 2110 that
>> worked
>> fine, I understand most of the rest of the PSC series works fine. I am
>> not
>> familiar with the 4180.
>>
>> Acrobat's printing to PDF will not work in 64-bit Windows. They've
>> announced Acrobat 8, arriving in November. Hopefully, this will have a
>> 64-bit PDF print driver.
>>
>> - Aaron
>>
>> "Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Well, I'm faced with going back to XP on my laptop. I need sound. Or
>> > could try Vista 64 RC1.
>> >
>> > I did install Vista 64 RC1 on it, and it ran great before I crashed
>> > everything, including the sound. But I didn't have a chance to install
>> > and test print drivers. I've been told you can run 32 bit drivers on
>> > 64
>> > bit Vista? I have two printers, both with x64 drivers. I wonder if
>> > the
>> > XP x64 drivers would work. It would be nice to know before going
>> > through
>> > the effort. Canon MP500 and a new HP 4180, both multi-function.
>> >
>> > Has anybody gotten these printers to run? Similar printers?
>> >
>> > And any issues with software I should know about? Adobe Acrobat?
>> >
>> > Thanks guys,
>> > -Larry

Dshai

The print ot pdf issue also exists in XP Pro x64, just an fyi.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You cannot run 32bit drivers in any 64bit version of Windows, including
> Vista. Period. I suggest you check in the
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices newsgroup for advice on
> the driver situation for your printers. If Canon and HP are not listing
> Vista x64 drivers for your printers then you are not likely to get them
> working. Software issues are too numerous and varied to discuss in a
> newsgroup reply. You need to scan the Vista public newsgroups for what
> others have found. As for Acrobat, the best source is the Adobe website.
>
> You should not attempt to use Vista as your operating system on a
> production or primary home computer. If you are, you should wait until
> Vista is released and companies like Canon and HP have completed writing
> their drivers for Vista.
>
> "Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well, I'm faced with going back to XP on my laptop. I need sound. Or I
>> could try Vista 64 RC1.
>>
>> I did install Vista 64 RC1 on it, and it ran great before I crashed
>> everything, including the sound. But I didn't have a chance to install
>> and test print drivers. I've been told you can run 32 bit drivers on 64
>> bit Vista? I have two printers, both with x64 drivers. I wonder if the
>> XP x64 drivers would work. It would be nice to know before going through
>> the effort. Canon MP500 and a new HP 4180, both multi-function.
>>
>> Has anybody gotten these printers to run? Similar printers?
>>
>> And any issues with software I should know about? Adobe Acrobat?
>>
>> Thanks guys,
>> -Larry

Charlie Russel - MVP

yes, if you only use the Adobe solution. There are others, however, that are
working well in x64 XP. I use deskPDF and am quite happy with it. But they
need a Vista update, I'm afraid.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Dshai" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23dYVL1r%(E-Mail Removed)...
> The print ot pdf issue also exists in XP Pro x64, just an fyi.
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You cannot run 32bit drivers in any 64bit version of Windows, including
>> Vista. Period. I suggest you check in the
>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices newsgroup for advice on
>> the driver situation for your printers. If Canon and HP are not listing
>> Vista x64 drivers for your printers then you are not likely to get them
>> working. Software issues are too numerous and varied to discuss in a
>> newsgroup reply. You need to scan the Vista public newsgroups for what
>> others have found. As for Acrobat, the best source is the Adobe website.
>>
>> You should not attempt to use Vista as your operating system on a
>> production or primary home computer. If you are, you should wait until
>> Vista is released and companies like Canon and HP have completed writing
>> their drivers for Vista.
>>
>> "Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Well, I'm faced with going back to XP on my laptop. I need sound. Or I
>>> could try Vista 64 RC1.
>>>
>>> I did install Vista 64 RC1 on it, and it ran great before I crashed
>>> everything, including the sound. But I didn't have a chance to install
>>> and test print drivers. I've been told you can run 32 bit drivers on 64
>>> bit Vista? I have two printers, both with x64 drivers. I wonder if the
>>> XP x64 drivers would work. It would be nice to know before going
>>> through the effort. Canon MP500 and a new HP 4180, both multi-function.
>>>
>>> Has anybody gotten these printers to run? Similar printers?
>>>
>>> And any issues with software I should know about? Adobe Acrobat?
>>>
>>> Thanks guys,
>>> -Larry

Aaron Kelley

If you want to use Adobe's PDF creator in Windows x64, you can print to a
postscript file and then convert that to a PDF with Adobe Acrobat Distiller.
(To print to a postscript file, install any postscript printer and select
"FILE" as the output port.)

- Aaron

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> yes, if you only use the Adobe solution. There are others, however, that
> are working well in x64 XP. I use deskPDF and am quite happy with it. But
> they need a Vista update, I'm afraid.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Dshai" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23dYVL1r%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The print ot pdf issue also exists in XP Pro x64, just an fyi.
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> You cannot run 32bit drivers in any 64bit version of Windows, including
>>> Vista. Period. I suggest you check in the
>>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices newsgroup for advice on
>>> the driver situation for your printers. If Canon and HP are not listing
>>> Vista x64 drivers for your printers then you are not likely to get them
>>> working. Software issues are too numerous and varied to discuss in a
>>> newsgroup reply. You need to scan the Vista public newsgroups for what
>>> others have found. As for Acrobat, the best source is the Adobe
>>> website.
>>>
>>> You should not attempt to use Vista as your operating system on a
>>> production or primary home computer. If you are, you should wait until
>>> Vista is released and companies like Canon and HP have completed writing
>>> their drivers for Vista.
>>>
>>> "Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Sounds like too many steps. And most folks don't have distiller.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Aaron Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uolwbQu%(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you want to use Adobe's PDF creator in Windows x64, you can print to a
> postscript file and then convert that to a PDF with Adobe Acrobat
> Distiller. (To print to a postscript file, install any postscript printer
> and select "FILE" as the output port.)
>
> - Aaron

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> yes, if you only use the Adobe solution. There are others, however, that
>> are working well in x64 XP. I use deskPDF and am quite happy with it. But
>> they need a Vista update, I'm afraid.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Dshai" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%23dYVL1r%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The print ot pdf issue also exists in XP Pro x64, just an fyi.
>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Aaron Kelley

It is an extra step, but, if you have Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader) which is
what is used to create PDFs, then you have Distiller.

- Aaron

news:(E-Mail Removed)...