Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > OT: New laptop! And Dynamic stiping question

OT: New laptop! And Dynamic stiping question

Larry Hodges

Many of you know I've been considering a laptop for quite some time.
Finally bought an HP Pavilion dv9000, Core2 Duo T5500, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 2 x
100gb SATA drives, GeForce Go 7600 256mb dedicated vid card, 17" wide screen
and TV tuner card, 1000mbps network card, wireles NIC as well. Costco,
$1,500! Yay!

I'll think I'll leave XP Media Edition on until Vista x64 is released.

Now that I'm done bragging, I do have a question. I already asked this in
microsoft.public.storage, but got no response, you you are the lucky guys
and gals today.

I have two Fujitsu 100gb HDDs. Has anyone converted their disks to Dynamic
and striped their drives, basically running software RAID0? Any feedback
for me? I've moved much of my data to the laptop and access that from my
other two workstations, so increased throughput would be nice. Going from
U320 SCSI RAID0 to this was definitely a hit in performance, so I would
consider it if it does really improve throughput.

The HDDs are Fujitsu MHV2100BH, and are SATA not IDE. Here are the drive
specs:

http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/c...20bh-sata.html

I'm not concerned about redundancy and running RAID0. I back up daily on
DAT from my main workstation. I will opt for performance over redundancy in
my case.

And as a second part of that, I would think that battery consumption would
go up since both drives are spinning up each call to disk. Am I right in
that assumption?

Give me some feedback and comments my geek bruthas...

-Larry

Charlie Russel - MVP

RAID0 - Bad idea. Not only no redundancy, but you actually double your risk
of catastrophic failure and irrecoverable data loss. You want faster? Buy a
better HD. The 7200 RPM Seagates, for example.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..