Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Java for Vista

Java for Vista

John Barnes

I downloaded and installed Java 1.6 beta and installed on Vista64
The installation completed. Java shows in installed programs. Java does
not show in Control Panel. It is not recognised as installed by programs
requiring it including Internet Explorer 7 (32-bit).
Any suggestions appreciated

Jane C

John, I gave up on installing the x64 version as it is next to useless.
Install the standard x86 one. Then you will get Java functionality in IE 32
bit. Make sure it's the Java 6 Beta 2 formerly codenamed Mustang.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
news:%236J$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I downloaded and installed Java 1.6 beta and installed on Vista64
> The installation completed. Java shows in installed programs. Java does
> not show in Control Panel. It is not recognised as installed by programs
> requiring it including Internet Explorer 7 (32-bit).
> Any suggestions appreciated

John Barnes

Thanks Jane. I am installing the same version as I installed on X64, which
works, as you said, on the 32-bit IE only. On Vista64 it installs, but is
invisible except on programs installed (control panel)
jre-6-beta2-windows-amd64.exe

"Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John, I gave up on installing the x64 version as it is next to useless.
> Install the standard x86 one. Then you will get Java functionality in IE
> 32 bit. Make sure it's the Java 6 Beta 2 formerly codenamed Mustang.
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
> news:%236J$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I downloaded and installed Java 1.6 beta and installed on Vista64
>> The installation completed. Java shows in installed programs. Java does
>> not show in Control Panel. It is not recognised as installed by programs
>> requiring it including Internet Explorer 7 (32-bit).
>> Any suggestions appreciated

Aaron Kelley

That is the 64-bit version (given away by the "amd64" in the filename).
Download the 32-bit version instead, it should work like you expect.

- Aaron

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Jane. I am installing the same version as I installed on X64,
> which works, as you said, on the 32-bit IE only. On Vista64 it installs,
> but is invisible except on programs installed (control panel)
> jre-6-beta2-windows-amd64.exe
>
> "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> John, I gave up on installing the x64 version as it is next to useless.
>> Install the standard x86 one. Then you will get Java functionality in IE
>> 32 bit. Make sure it's the Java 6 Beta 2 formerly codenamed Mustang.
>>
>> --
>> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%236J$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I downloaded and installed Java 1.6 beta and installed on Vista64
>>> The installation completed. Java shows in installed programs. Java
>>> does not show in Control Panel. It is not recognised as installed by
>>> programs requiring it including Internet Explorer 7 (32-bit).
>>> Any suggestions appreciated

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

John:
Both Java 1.5 and 1.6 do not support the browser plug-in

J2SE(TM) Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 9 can be downloaded here:
https://sdlc6b.sun.com/ECom/EComActi...277F4AB6D9BFFE
And these are the supported system configurations
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/syste...gurations.html

Java(TM) SE Development Kit 6 Beta 2 can be downloaded here:
https://sdlc5c.sun.com/ECom/EComActi...C4B09496F8D4E9
And these are the supported system configurations
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnote...gurations.html
Footnote says:
"64-bit support for Java Plug-in software is currently not available"

Carlos

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Thanks Jane. I am installing the same version as I installed on X64, which
> works, as you said, on the 32-bit IE only. On Vista64 it installs, but is
> invisible except on programs installed (control panel)
> jre-6-beta2-windows-amd64.exe
>
> "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > John, I gave up on installing the x64 version as it is next to useless.
> > Install the standard x86 one. Then you will get Java functionality in IE
> > 32 bit. Make sure it's the Java 6 Beta 2 formerly codenamed Mustang.
> >
> > --
> > Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
> > Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
> > "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%236J$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I downloaded and installed Java 1.6 beta and installed on Vista64
> >> The installation completed. Java shows in installed programs. Java does
> >> not show in Control Panel. It is not recognised as installed by programs
> >> requiring it including Internet Explorer 7 (32-bit).
> >> Any suggestions appreciated

John Barnes

Thanks. That did it. I didn't have that in my download file and couldn't
get a hit on beta on the Java site, but I did find a link in programs
installed.

news:%23g$(E-Mail Removed)...