Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Data Center Edition of Vista

Data Center Edition of Vista

=?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgQmlyZA==?=

Will we have a Data Center Edition of Vista in the near future? Just as we
have a Data Center Edition of Windows 2003 R2 Data Center Edition?

Thanks

Louis

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

No, Vista is a client operating system, there will be Datacenter Edition of
Longhorn Server for AMD x86-x64, EM64T and Itanium systems.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
"Larry Bird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will we have a Data Center Edition of Vista in the near future? Just as
> we
> have a Data Center Edition of Windows 2003 R2 Data Center Edition?
>

> Thanks
>
> Louis

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Louis,
Data Center is a Server Sku.
Vista is a client release, so no there will not be a Windows Vista
DataCenter sku
I am not sure that the list of editions for Windows Server Longhorn is
available yet.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgQmlyZA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: Data Center Edition of Vista
<Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 13:33:02 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<Will we have a Data Center Edition of Vista in the near future? Just as
we
<have a Data Center Edition of Windows 2003 R2 Data Center Edition?
<
<
<Thanks
<
<Louis
<

cluberti

As others have posted, Vista is a client OS and as such will not come in any
server variants. Windows Server Longhorn (or whatever it will ultimately be
called when it is released) will probably come in at least the same SKUs
that exist with Server 2003, although it's highly likely that you will not
see an ia64 (Itanium) version of Longhorn. Note that Windows Server 2003
SP1 shipped for ia64, but Windows Server 2003 did not (hint, hint).

"Larry Bird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will we have a Data Center Edition of Vista in the near future? Just as
> we
> have a Data Center Edition of Windows 2003 R2 Data Center Edition?
>

> Thanks
>
> Louis

Aaron Kelley

I believe it has been announced that there *will* be an Itanium version of
Longhorn Server.

- Aaron

"cluberti" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> As others have posted, Vista is a client OS and as such will not come in
> any server variants. Windows Server Longhorn (or whatever it will
> ultimately be called when it is released) will probably come in at least
> the same SKUs that exist with Server 2003, although it's highly likely
> that you will not see an ia64 (Itanium) version of Longhorn. Note that
> Windows Server 2003 SP1 shipped for ia64, but Windows Server 2003 did not
> (hint, hint).
>
> "Larry Bird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Will we have a Data Center Edition of Vista in the near future? Just as
>> we
>> have a Data Center Edition of Windows 2003 R2 Data Center Edition?
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Louis

Benjamin Gawert

* Larry Bird:

> Will we have a Data Center Edition of Vista in the near future? Just as we
> have a Data Center Edition of Windows 2003 R2 Data Center Edition?

Windows 2003 -> Server OS
Vista -> successor of Windowsxp -> desktop OS

Apples and oranges.

There won't be a "Data Center Edition" of Vista as there never was a
"Data Center Edition" of Windowsxp. There probably will a "Data Center
Edition" of Longhorn Server as there is a "Data Center Edition" of
Windows Server 2003...

Benjamin

Nut Cracker

"cluberti" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> As others have posted, Vista is a client OS and as such will not come in
> any server variants. Windows Server Longhorn (or whatever it will
> ultimately be called when it is released) will probably come in at least
> the same SKUs that exist with Server 2003, although it's highly likely
> that you will not see an ia64 (Itanium) version of Longhorn. Note that
> Windows Server 2003 SP1 shipped for ia64, but Windows Server 2003 did not
> (hint, hint).

you are incorrect.

I manage several midrange and superdome implimentations, and when we
launched these platforms they had RTM versions of Enterprise and Datacenter
installed on them by the vendor, HP.

- NuTs

cluberti

Hm, I guess that's what I get for being buried in beta. Looks like Longhorn
will ship for itanium (there was some doubt about that internally), but it
will be limited to certain types of functionality. Interesting indeed.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...