Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP x64 Drive Letters

XP x64 Drive Letters

=?Utf-8?B?R3JpZmY2cg==?=

First of all, I am a tech so I have installed literally hundreds of copies of
all versions of Windows. When I built a new 64 bit machine recently, upon OS
installation I find the following drive letter assignments:
A: Floppy
C: Removable Disk (Floppy/Card Reader)
D: Removable Disk (Floppy/Card Reader)
E: DVD-ROM
F: DVD-RAM
G: WinXP
H: Backup
I: Storage
I am running AMD x64 Dual Core with 2GB RAM, Dual WD 150 GB SATAII Drives in
RAID 0 Configuration. I obviously created the Backup and Storage partitions
during install to maintain drive letter continuity, and didn't notice
anything different from XP x32, although I could, and probably did, do it in
my sleep. The only variable, and the one that made off with the C assignment,
is the card reader. I am preparing to try out Vista RC1, and wonder if I
should remove the Floppy/Card Reader for the installation.

Also, for those already with Vista, how is HP printer support?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Disconnect any USB drives before you do an installation, or you'll end up
with borked drive letters. Plug them in later, when it doesn't matter.

--
Charlie
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...