Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Passing strange...

Passing strange...

M. Murcek

I'm sure someone else has already noticed this, but I was amused to see that
you cannot run the Vista upgrade advisor against x64 Edition. OTOH, I'm
sure MS doesn't feel too concerned, as it probably expects the 64 bit
aficionados can take care of themselves. I'm still running x64 Edition on
my main workstation and expect I will be for soem time, anyway, and since I
have the CPP version of Vista x64 Ultimate running on a testbed box, I get
the best(?) of both worlds at the flick of a KVM switch. I'd rather switch
than fight...

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"Vista upgrade advisor"
The key word is "upgrade"
Since 64 bit is sold OEM only and no upgrade is possible, Microsoft probably
feels there is no need for an Upgrade Advisor for 64 bit.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm sure someone else has already noticed this, but I was amused to see
> that you cannot run the Vista upgrade advisor against x64 Edition. OTOH,
> I'm sure MS doesn't feel too concerned, as it probably expects the 64 bit
> aficionados can take care of themselves. I'm still running x64 Edition on
> my main workstation and expect I will be for soem time, anyway, and since
> I have the CPP version of Vista x64 Ultimate running on a testbed box, I
> get the best(?) of both worlds at the flick of a KVM switch. I'd rather
> switch than fight...

Nut Cracker

>I'd rather switch than fight...

Ahh, obviously NOT a Terryton smoker !

; )

Colin Barnhorst

XP Pro x64 to Vista x64 is in fact possible but we may not know until rtm if
it is supported by Microsoft PSS.

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Vista upgrade advisor"
> The key word is "upgrade"
> Since 64 bit is sold OEM only and no upgrade is possible, Microsoft
> probably feels there is no need for an Upgrade Advisor for 64 bit.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm sure someone else has already noticed this, but I was amused to see
>> that you cannot run the Vista upgrade advisor against x64 Edition. OTOH,
>> I'm sure MS doesn't feel too concerned, as it probably expects the 64 bit
>> aficionados can take care of themselves. I'm still running x64 Edition
>> on my main workstation and expect I will be for soem time, anyway, and
>> since I have the CPP version of Vista x64 Ultimate running on a testbed
>> box, I get the best(?) of both worlds at the flick of a KVM switch. I'd
>> rather switch than fight...

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Thank you Colin;
If it is possible now, it will probably be possible after RTM.
As for supported by Microsoft?
My guess is no...but that is up to Microsoft.
We will have to wait and see.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> XP Pro x64 to Vista x64 is in fact possible but we may not know until rtm
> if it is supported by Microsoft PSS.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Hmmm. I wonder how many of the youngsters here will get that reference.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Nut Cracker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I'd rather switch than fight...

> Ahh, obviously NOT a Terryton smoker !
>
> ; )

Nut Cracker

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmmm. I wonder how many of the youngsters here will get that reference.

Doh ! .... i just dated myself, but true. I also wonder

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Colin,
We shouldn't be able to upgrade from Windows XP x64 to Windows Vista 64
bit. Are you stating this is working in current builds of Vista? If it is
that would be a bug, this is not considered a supported scenario.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com>
<Subject: Re: Passing strange...
<Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 21:01:44 -0600
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<XP Pro x64 to Vista x64 is in fact possible but we may not know until rtm
if
<it is supported by Microsoft PSS.
<
<"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<news:(E-Mail Removed)...
<> "Vista upgrade advisor"
<> The key word is "upgrade"
<> Since 64 bit is sold OEM only and no upgrade is possible, Microsoft
<> probably feels there is no need for an Upgrade Advisor for 64 bit.
<>
<> --
[...]

not working, so far as I know.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Colin,
> We shouldn't be able to upgrade from Windows XP x64 to Windows Vista 64
> bit. Are you stating this is working in current builds of Vista? If it
> is
> that would be a bug, this is not considered a supported scenario.
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> <From: "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com>
> <Subject: Re: Passing strange...
> <Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 21:01:44 -0600
> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
> <
> <XP Pro x64 to Vista x64 is in fact possible but we may not know until rtm
> if
> <it is supported by Microsoft PSS.
> <
> <"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> <news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> <> "Vista upgrade advisor"
> <> The key word is "upgrade"
> <> Since 64 bit is sold OEM only and no upgrade is possible, Microsoft
> <> probably feels there is no need for an Upgrade Advisor for 64 bit.
> <>
> <> --
> <> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> <> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> <> http://www.dts-l.org
> <>
> <>
> <> "M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> <> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> <>> I'm sure someone else has already noticed this, but I was amused to
> see
> <>> that you cannot run the Vista upgrade advisor against x64 Edition.
> OTOH,
> <>> I'm sure MS doesn't feel too concerned, as it probably expects the 64
> bit
> <>> aficionados can take care of themselves. I'm still running x64
> Edition
> <>> on my main workstation and expect I will be for soem time, anyway, and
> <>> since I have the CPP version of Vista x64 Ultimate running on a
> testbed
> <>> box, I get the best(?) of both worlds at the flick of a KVM switch.
> I'd
> <>> rather switch than fight...
> <>
> <>
> <
> <
> <

DP

"Nut Cracker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hmmm. I wonder how many of the youngsters here will get that reference.
>>

> Doh ! .... i just dated myself, but true. I also wonder

How about this one, gang?

Tobacco tastes fresh
'cause the filter's recessed.
Smoke Parliament.