Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Any way to replace WIN98 with Vista in dual boot?

Any way to replace WIN98 with Vista in dual boot?

Dennis Gordon

I've just about moved everything from my old home computer to the new one,
so I'm thinking of running vista on the old one. I have an unused fast scsi
drive, so I thought I'd replace the boot drive (WIN9 with it. That still
leaves in intact XP Pro install on the 2nd drive. Is there any to set up a
dual boot with the existing XP installation after I set up Vista? This will
be for playing around, so I'm willing to put up with a moderate amount of
misery.

=?Utf-8?B?U3BpcmVmbQ==?=

Provided you have seperate partitions for XP and Vista its no problem but you
should allow at least 20GB for Vista. Do a clean install and Vista will
create the dual-boot automatically for you. But read about the new boot
arrangements befoehand - it is totally different from XP. basically Vista
creates an upper level boot above XP. When all is finished the boot option
will be Vista or Legacy. Legacy being your original boot configuration. Colin

"Dennis Gordon" wrote:

> I've just about moved everything from my old home computer to the new one,
> so I'm thinking of running vista on the old one. I have an unused fast scsi
> drive, so I thought I'd replace the boot drive (WIN9 with it. That still
> leaves in intact XP Pro install on the 2nd drive. Is there any to set up a
> dual boot with the existing XP installation after I set up Vista? This will
> be for playing around, so I'm willing to put up with a moderate amount of
> misery.

Nut Cracker

if his "old" machine was running 98, even with the fastest SCSI disk on the
planet, it probably wont be up to the task of running vista.

but then, that depends on his hardware, which he never mentioned. In my
mind, that would be the logical first questions ... what is the old
hardware? That way, lots of pain and trouble can be eliminated from the
get-go.

- NuTs

"Spirefm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Provided you have seperate partitions for XP and Vista its no problem but
> you
> should allow at least 20GB for Vista. Do a clean install and Vista will
> create the dual-boot automatically for you. But read about the new boot
> arrangements befoehand - it is totally different from XP. basically Vista
> creates an upper level boot above XP. When all is finished the boot option
> will be Vista or Legacy. Legacy being your original boot configuration.
> Colin
>
> "Dennis Gordon" wrote:
>
>> I've just about moved everything from my old home computer to the new
>> one,
>> so I'm thinking of running vista on the old one. I have an unused fast
>> scsi
>> drive, so I thought I'd replace the boot drive (WIN9 with it. That
>> still
>> leaves in intact XP Pro install on the 2nd drive. Is there any to set up
>> dual boot with the existing XP installation after I set up Vista? This
>> will
>> be for playing around, so I'm willing to put up with a moderate amount of
>> misery.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Dennis -
What's the hardware on this box? If it isn't a Gb of RAM, I'd say don't
bother. As for dual booting? No problem. Since you're changing the boot
drive, you'll be in the same situation as I just dealt with when I formatted
it. Read my latest blog post on this. It's a bit of a pain to get them both
working, but not really hard.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just about moved everything from my old home computer to the new one,
> so I'm thinking of running vista on the old one. I have an unused fast
> scsi drive, so I thought I'd replace the boot drive (WIN9 with it. That
> still leaves in intact XP Pro install on the 2nd drive. Is there any to
> set up a dual boot with the existing XP installation after I set up Vista?
> This will be for playing around, so I'm willing to put up with a moderate
> amount of misery.

Dennis Gordon

Well it's relatively pretty creaky, but fast enough for testing. P4
Northwood @ 3.4 w/512 megs and a P650. I have a celeron box in the office
running Vista well enough, so this would be a step up from that.

I may not have been clear enough. I want to pull the drive that had the
boot.ini and WIN98, install Vista on a fresh drive, and then dual boot with
the existing XP install that's on my 2nd HD. I guess I could do that in the
BIOS, but I was wondering if I can edit the configuration to switch between
Vista and XP upon startup. Not that it matters much, since this is my old
machine. I just wondered if it can be done.

"Nut Cracker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ug$Rz$(E-Mail Removed)...
> if his "old" machine was running 98, even with the fastest SCSI disk on
> the planet, it probably wont be up to the task of running vista.
>
> but then, that depends on his hardware, which he never mentioned. In my
> mind, that would be the logical first questions ... what is the old
> hardware? That way, lots of pain and trouble can be eliminated from the
> get-go.
>
> - NuTs
>
> "Spirefm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Provided you have seperate partitions for XP and Vista its no problem but
>> you
>> should allow at least 20GB for Vista. Do a clean install and Vista will
>> create the dual-boot automatically for you. But read about the new boot
>> arrangements befoehand - it is totally different from XP. basically Vista
>> creates an upper level boot above XP. When all is finished the boot
>> option
>> will be Vista or Legacy. Legacy being your original boot configuration.
>> Colin
>>
>> "Dennis Gordon" wrote:
>>
>>> I've just about moved everything from my old home computer to the new
>>> one,
>>> so I'm thinking of running vista on the old one. I have an unused fast
>>> scsi
>>> drive, so I thought I'd replace the boot drive (WIN9 with it. That
>>> still
>>> leaves in intact XP Pro install on the 2nd drive. Is there any to set up
>>> dual boot with the existing XP installation after I set up Vista? This
>>> will
>>> be for playing around, so I'm willing to put up with a moderate amount
>>> of
>>> misery.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, it can be done, Dennis. See my blog post:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc...Vista-x64.aspx

All the gory details.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well it's relatively pretty creaky, but fast enough for testing. P4
> Northwood @ 3.4 w/512 megs and a P650. I have a celeron box in the office
> running Vista well enough, so this would be a step up from that.
>
> I may not have been clear enough. I want to pull the drive that had the
> boot.ini and WIN98, install Vista on a fresh drive, and then dual boot
> with the existing XP install that's on my 2nd HD. I guess I could do that
> in the BIOS, but I was wondering if I can edit the configuration to switch
> between Vista and XP upon startup. Not that it matters much, since this is
> my old machine. I just wondered if it can be done.
>

> "Nut Cracker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ug$Rz$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> if his "old" machine was running 98, even with the fastest SCSI disk on
>> the planet, it probably wont be up to the task of running vista.
>>
>> but then, that depends on his hardware, which he never mentioned. In my
>> mind, that would be the logical first questions ... what is the old
>> hardware? That way, lots of pain and trouble can be eliminated from the
>> get-go.
>>
>> - NuTs
>>
>> "Spirefm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Provided you have seperate partitions for XP and Vista its no problem
>>> but you
>>> should allow at least 20GB for Vista. Do a clean install and Vista will
>>> create the dual-boot automatically for you. But read about the new boot
>>> arrangements befoehand - it is totally different from XP. basically
>>> Vista
>>> creates an upper level boot above XP. When all is finished the boot
>>> option
>>> will be Vista or Legacy. Legacy being your original boot configuration.
>>> Colin

Dennis Gordon

P4/3.06 at 3.4 /512/533. Matrox P650. 512 megs of PC333. I have another 512
meg module, but this Gigabyte board is buggy with 2 sticks of RAM in it and
runs unstable, so unless I can find a reasonably priced 1G stick of PC333
I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

As I mentioned, I installed 5728 on an old 2.7 celeron with 512 megs at
work. I haven't done much other than click on icons and do web updates, but
it runs pretty good for such a puny setup (my rating is a whopping "1")

I'll be taking my old machine at home off line pretty soon anyways. I just
want to play a bit with Vista. I'd dual boot with my new machine (3800x2
running at 2.85) but I don't want to get calls from my wife in the middle of
the day asking me what the hell I did to the computer, in case some anomaly
crops up while I'm not there. So I figured my old creaky P4 would do well
enough just to keep me familiar with Vista 'til it's released.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dennis -
> What's the hardware on this box? If it isn't a Gb of RAM, I'd say don't
> bother. As for dual booting? No problem. Since you're changing the boot
> drive, you'll be in the same situation as I just dealt with when I
> formatted it. Read my latest blog post on this. It's a bit of a pain to
> get them both working, but not really hard.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've just about moved everything from my old home computer to the new
>> one, so I'm thinking of running vista on the old one. I have an unused
>> fast scsi drive, so I thought I'd replace the boot drive (WIN9 with it.
>> That still leaves in intact XP Pro install on the 2nd drive. Is there any
>> to set up a dual boot with the existing XP installation after I set up
>> Vista? This will be for playing around, so I'm willing to put up with a
>> moderate amount of misery.

John Barnes

Is there a possibility you are putting the second stick of memory in the
wrong slot. Many motherboards have a 1-3 slot arrangement with 2 sticks not
contiguous. Check the motherboard manual.

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> P4/3.06 at 3.4 /512/533. Matrox P650. 512 megs of PC333. I have another
> 512 meg module, but this Gigabyte board is buggy with 2 sticks of RAM in
> it and runs unstable, so unless I can find a reasonably priced 1G stick of
> PC333 I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.
>
> As I mentioned, I installed 5728 on an old 2.7 celeron with 512 megs at
> work. I haven't done much other than click on icons and do web updates,
> but it runs pretty good for such a puny setup (my rating is a whopping
> "1")
>
> I'll be taking my old machine at home off line pretty soon anyways. I just
> want to play a bit with Vista. I'd dual boot with my new machine (3800x2
> running at 2.85) but I don't want to get calls from my wife in the middle
> of the day asking me what the hell I did to the computer, in case some
> anomaly crops up while I'm not there. So I figured my old creaky P4 would
> do well enough just to keep me familiar with Vista 'til it's released.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dennis -
>> What's the hardware on this box? If it isn't a Gb of RAM, I'd say
>> don't bother. As for dual booting? No problem. Since you're changing the
>> boot drive, you'll be in the same situation as I just dealt with when I
>> formatted it. Read my latest blog post on this. It's a bit of a pain to
>> get them both working, but not really hard.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I've just about moved everything from my old home computer to the new
>>> one, so I'm thinking of running vista on the old one. I have an unused
>>> fast scsi drive, so I thought I'd replace the boot drive (WIN9 with
>>> it. That still leaves in intact XP Pro install on the 2nd drive. Is
>>> there any to set up a dual boot with the existing XP installation after
>>> I set up Vista? This will be for playing around, so I'm willing to put
>>> up with a moderate amount of misery.

Dennis Gordon

I've tried every combo. This was a known bug with some of these boards
(Gigabyte 8PE667) They run with 2 sticks, but blue screen after a while.
When I built it, 512 was plenty. I tried adding another stick a few months
ago and it failed no matter where I put it. Since this box is 4 years old
and on its way out I haven't pursued a more aggressive fix. Maybe I
should...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a possibility you are putting the second stick of memory in the
> wrong slot. Many motherboards have a 1-3 slot arrangement with 2 sticks
> not contiguous. Check the motherboard manual.
>

> "Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> P4/3.06 at 3.4 /512/533. Matrox P650. 512 megs of PC333. I have another
>> 512 meg module, but this Gigabyte board is buggy with 2 sticks of RAM in
>> it and runs unstable, so unless I can find a reasonably priced 1G stick
>> of PC333 I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.
>>
>> As I mentioned, I installed 5728 on an old 2.7 celeron with 512 megs at
>> work. I haven't done much other than click on icons and do web updates,
>> but it runs pretty good for such a puny setup (my rating is a whopping
>> "1")
>>
>> I'll be taking my old machine at home off line pretty soon anyways. I
>> just want to play a bit with Vista. I'd dual boot with my new machine
>> (3800x2 running at 2.85) but I don't want to get calls from my wife in
>> the middle of the day asking me what the hell I did to the computer, in
>> case some anomaly crops up while I'm not there. So I figured my old
>> creaky P4 would do well enough just to keep me familiar with Vista 'til
>> it's released.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Dennis -
>>> What's the hardware on this box? If it isn't a Gb of RAM, I'd say
>>> don't bother. As for dual booting? No problem. Since you're changing the
>>> boot drive, you'll be in the same situation as I just dealt with when I
>>> formatted it. Read my latest blog post on this. It's a bit of a pain to
>>> get them both working, but not really hard.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>>

>>> "Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

John Barnes

Sounds like you have been agressive enough Reminds me I have half a
dozen sticks of PC333 ram in the garage I should go get rid of (probably the
old computer too ( }