Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Why shold I install 64-bit versus 32-bit Vista?

Why shold I install 64-bit versus 32-bit Vista?

=?Utf-8?B?TWFqb2RvbW8=?=

I have ASUS P5W DG-2-WS Pro with Core Duo E6400 and 2 Gb Ram.
Should I have benefits from installing 64-bit Vista in propotion to 32-bit?
If so- why?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Entirely up to you. You might find this whitepaper of use and interest,
however, in making your decision:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc

While written for XP x64, it is still valid and the decision points are the
same.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Majodomo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have ASUS P5W DG-2-WS Pro with Core Duo E6400 and 2 Gb Ram.
> Should I have benefits from installing 64-bit Vista in propotion to
> 32-bit?
> If so- why?

=?Utf-8?B?U3BpcmVmbQ==?=

Frankly, at this point in time, unless you want to help debug Vista 64 bit,
it is not worth it because so few drivers and programs ey exist for 64 bits.
Colin

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Entirely up to you. You might find this whitepaper of use and interest,
> however, in making your decision:
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
>
> While written for XP x64, it is still valid and the decision points are the
> same.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Majodomo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have ASUS P5W DG-2-WS Pro with Core Duo E6400 and 2 Gb Ram.
> > Should I have benefits from installing 64-bit Vista in propotion to
> > 32-bit?
> > If so- why?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Well, I'm not sure I agree with that. Drivers? I've got one thing that isn't
working, and a couple that are limping. But others are singing along very
happily. Drivers have always been about doing your research first, and
making informed decisions. Software? Nothing I have cares one way or another
today. But a huge amount will care by this time next year. I've got 3 new
betas coming up that will ONLY run on x64. And others that prefer it. I'll
be writing books about products that are x64 only. And I'll be doing it in
Word 2003, cause there's no way on this planet I'm moving to Office 2k7.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Spirefm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Frankly, at this point in time, unless you want to help debug Vista 64
> bit,
> it is not worth it because so few drivers and programs ey exist for 64
> bits.
> Colin
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Entirely up to you. You might find this whitepaper of use and interest,
>> however, in making your decision:
>>
>> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
>>
>> While written for XP x64, it is still valid and the decision points are
>> the
>> same.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Majodomo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have ASUS P5W DG-2-WS Pro with Core Duo E6400 and 2 Gb Ram.
>> > Should I have benefits from installing 64-bit Vista in propotion to
>> > 32-bit?
>> > If so- why?

=?Utf-8?B?am9oY2E=?=

My confusion is not if, but when to jump to 64-bit, most of the confusion is
the cost. I'll probably go 64-bit on one desk top and stay windows
professional on the other two. My question is what is the ability of moving
files and documents created by 64-bit applications to 32-bit applications

Even more importantly is there any issue of files made by 32-bit application
working on a 64-bit OS system and then moving finished product to be used by
same product such as Adobe Photoshop on a 32-bit system.

I'm a small business owner (poor one at that) doing film to digital
conversions and photo and film editing and can’t afford all the hardware and
software upgrades in a short period of time. I need to start with the OS at
sometime though. Any insight.

v/r

John

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Well, I'm not sure I agree with that. Drivers? I've got one thing that isn't
> working, and a couple that are limping. But others are singing along very
> happily. Drivers have always been about doing your research first, and
> making informed decisions. Software? Nothing I have cares one way or another
> today. But a huge amount will care by this time next year. I've got 3 new
> betas coming up that will ONLY run on x64. And others that prefer it. I'll
> be writing books about products that are x64 only. And I'll be doing it in
> Word 2003, cause there's no way on this planet I'm moving to Office 2k7.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Spirefm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Frankly, at this point in time, unless you want to help debug Vista 64
> > bit,
> > it is not worth it because so few drivers and programs ey exist for 64
> > bits.
> > Colin
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Entirely up to you. You might find this whitepaper of use and interest,
> >> however, in making your decision:
> >>
> >> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
> >>
> >> While written for XP x64, it is still valid and the decision points are
> >> the
> >> same.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> >>

> >> "Majodomo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Data files are zero problem.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"johca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My confusion is not if, but when to jump to 64-bit, most of the confusion
> is
> the cost. I'll probably go 64-bit on one desk top and stay windows
> professional on the other two. My question is what is the ability of
> moving
> files and documents created by 64-bit applications to 32-bit applications
>
> Even more importantly is there any issue of files made by 32-bit
> application
> working on a 64-bit OS system and then moving finished product to be used
> by
> same product such as Adobe Photoshop on a 32-bit system.
>
> I'm a small business owner (poor one at that) doing film to digital
> conversions and photo and film editing and can’t afford all the hardware
> and
> software upgrades in a short period of time. I need to start with the OS
> at
> sometime though. Any insight.
>
> v/r
>
> John
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Well, I'm not sure I agree with that. Drivers? I've got one thing that
>> isn't
>> working, and a couple that are limping. But others are singing along very
>> happily. Drivers have always been about doing your research first, and
>> making informed decisions. Software? Nothing I have cares one way or
>> another
>> today. But a huge amount will care by this time next year. I've got 3 new
>> betas coming up that will ONLY run on x64. And others that prefer it.
>> I'll
>> be writing books about products that are x64 only. And I'll be doing it
>> in
>> Word 2003, cause there's no way on this planet I'm moving to Office 2k7.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Spirefm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Frankly, at this point in time, unless you want to help debug Vista 64
>> > bit,
>> > it is not worth it because so few drivers and programs ey exist for 64
>> > bits.
>> > Colin

=?Utf-8?B?UXVpenRhcg==?=

DO it. If you've got a hard drive bigger than 160GB and you can download
your drivers ahead of time and copy them onto a cd or something and install
them after cleanly updating to the 64-bit version of Vista, go for it. Your
data files will be read and stored together with 32-bit applications. There
will be separations of where 32-bit and 64-bit drivers end up put on the hard
drive, but if you've got the patience then go for it. I think however that
in order to upgrade to the 64-bit version of Vista you need to either have a
current 64-bit version of WinXP on the hard drive or get the full version
(not the upgrade) to Windows Vista 64-bit Ultimate.