Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Drives Larger than 2TB

Drives Larger than 2TB

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

Does anyone know if the Windows XP Pro x64 Edition supports drives or volumes
larger than 2TB?

Thanks!!

Mike

Nut Cracker

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know if the Windows XP Pro x64 Edition supports drives or
> volumes
> larger than 2TB?
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Mike

logical volumes? Not sure about the file system limitations on x64, but with
NTFS 5.1/5.2 (XP and 2003), its 16 Exabytes (16,000 Terabytes).

Aaron Kelley

I believe MBR drives have a maximum partition size of 2TB.

In Windows XP x64 (and Windows Server 2003 SP1+), you can convert a
non-bootable disk to a GPT disk (in Disk Management, drive must be empty),
which allows for larger partitions (although I am not sure of the maximum
size off the top of my head).

I have converted a drive to GPT and it works fine, however, I do not have
any drives or arrays larger than 2 TB so I have not tested that part out
myself.

More reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

- Aaron

"Nut Cracker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Does anyone know if the Windows XP Pro x64 Edition supports drives or
>> volumes
>> larger than 2TB?
>>
>> Thanks!!
>>
>> Mike

> logical volumes? Not sure about the file system limitations on x64, but
> with NTFS 5.1/5.2 (XP and 2003), its 16 Exabytes (16,000 Terabytes).

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Let's try this link: The FAQ may answer this:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...e/GPT_FAQ.mspx

6. How big can a GPT disk be?
In theory, a GPT disk can be up to 2^64 logical blocks in length. Logical
blocks are commonly 512 bytes in size.

The maximum partition (and disk) size is a function of the operating system
version. Windows XP and the original release of Windows Server 2003 have a
limit of 2TB per physical disk, including all partitions. For Windows
Server 2003 SP1 Windows XP x64 edition, and later versions, the maximum raw
partition of 18 exabytes can be supported. (Windows file systems currently
are limited to 256 terabytes each.)

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "Aaron Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: Re: Drives Larger than 2TB
<Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:15:32 -0500
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
[...]
<>
<> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
<>> Does anyone know if the Windows XP Pro x64 Edition supports drives or
<>> volumes
<>> larger than 2TB?
<>>
<>> Thanks!!
<>>
<>> Mike
<>
<> logical volumes? Not sure about the file system limitations on x64, but
<> with NTFS 5.1/5.2 (XP and 2003), its 16 Exabytes (16,000 Terabytes).
<>
<
<
<

jacob navia

Mike wrote:
> Does anyone know if the Windows XP Pro x64 Edition supports drives or volumes
> larger than 2TB?
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Mike

2TB...

Gosh!
Each time I read this kind of news I feel so much older...