Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Problem installing Vista

Problem installing Vista

=?Utf-8?B?TGFzYW5jbXQ=?=

I built a second PC today. this time using an ASUS P5WD2 Premium motherboard
with intel pentium 4 630+ processor and SATA Raid1 disk configuration

The Vista Beta 2 x64 Installation disk boots up fine, but falls at the
first hurdle: " A required CD/DVD device driver is missing, if you have a
driver floppy disk insert it now."

I must admit im still confused. I tried a few CD's to no avail. To me its a
chicken and egg situation. The motherboard manual discusses making a RAID
driver floppy disk. Should I do that on an old non 64 bit computer and then
insert it in my new vista computer at this point?

In general the BIOS setup disk that comes with a new motherboard. Do you run
this after you install the target OS or before, using some sort of DOS boot
floppy like an old windows 98 startup disk? I am confused, please help again.

Regards Marcus

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=

I have installed Vista Pre-RC 1 and RC1 using the same motherboard on a RAID
0 setup. I didn´t have to load drivers from a floppy, since those Vista
builds contains SATA/RAID drivers for Intel ICH7R Controller.

Maybe your CD/DVD-ROM is too old? I was in the same situation with a Plextor
PX-116. Didn´t work in Vista.
A new DVD-ROM Plextor PX-130 and everything runs fine.

--
Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
Core 2 Extreme X6800

"Lasancmt" wrote:

> I built a second PC today. this time using an ASUS P5WD2 Premium motherboard
> with intel pentium 4 630+ processor and SATA Raid1 disk configuration
>
> The Vista Beta 2 x64 Installation disk boots up fine, but falls at the
> first hurdle: " A required CD/DVD device driver is missing, if you have a
> driver floppy disk insert it now."
>
> I must admit im still confused. I tried a few CD's to no avail. To me its a
> chicken and egg situation. The motherboard manual discusses making a RAID
> driver floppy disk. Should I do that on an old non 64 bit computer and then
> insert it in my new vista computer at this point?
>
> In general the BIOS setup disk that comes with a new motherboard. Do you run
> this after you install the target OS or before, using some sort of DOS boot
> floppy like an old windows 98 startup disk? I am confused, please help again.
>
> Regards Marcus

=?Utf-8?B?R3JlZyBGLg==?=

Same problem here, swapped out dvd players and it worked fine.

"Lasancmt" wrote:

> I built a second PC today. this time using an ASUS P5WD2 Premium motherboard
> with intel pentium 4 630+ processor and SATA Raid1 disk configuration
>
> The Vista Beta 2 x64 Installation disk boots up fine, but falls at the
> first hurdle: " A required CD/DVD device driver is missing, if you have a
> driver floppy disk insert it now."
>
> I must admit im still confused. I tried a few CD's to no avail. To me its a
> chicken and egg situation. The motherboard manual discusses making a RAID
> driver floppy disk. Should I do that on an old non 64 bit computer and then
> insert it in my new vista computer at this point?
>
> In general the BIOS setup disk that comes with a new motherboard. Do you run
> this after you install the target OS or before, using some sort of DOS boot
> floppy like an old windows 98 startup disk? I am confused, please help again.
>
> Regards Marcus

=?Utf-8?B?TGFzYW5jbXQ=?=

Hmmm... This was a brand new LG DVD-ROM. On their web site for driver support
they of course do not list Windows Vista yet. Would the XP driver work? Or
can someone recommend a different make/type/model that I can go to PC world
and but now and should definitely work???

Thanks Marcus

"Greg F." wrote:

> Same problem here, swapped out dvd players and it worked fine.
>
> "Lasancmt" wrote:
>
> > I built a second PC today. this time using an ASUS P5WD2 Premium motherboard
> > with intel pentium 4 630+ processor and SATA Raid1 disk configuration
> >
> > The Vista Beta 2 x64 Installation disk boots up fine, but falls at the
> > first hurdle: " A required CD/DVD device driver is missing, if you have a
> > driver floppy disk insert it now."
> >
> > I must admit im still confused. I tried a few CD's to no avail. To me its a
> > chicken and egg situation. The motherboard manual discusses making a RAID
> > driver floppy disk. Should I do that on an old non 64 bit computer and then
> > insert it in my new vista computer at this point?
> >
> > In general the BIOS setup disk that comes with a new motherboard. Do you run
> > this after you install the target OS or before, using some sort of DOS boot
> > floppy like an old windows 98 startup disk? I am confused, please help again.
> >
> > Regards Marcus

=?Utf-8?B?TGFzYW5jbXQ=?=

Can you believe it? just boaght the latest SONY DVD RW+ type DW-G120 A and it
comes up with exactly the same message
Downloading VISTA RC1 (very slowly) Anyone think this will solve the
problem? Was trying Beta 2 before....

Marcus

"Lasancmt" wrote:

> Hmmm... This was a brand new LG DVD-ROM. On their web site for driver support
> they of course do not list Windows Vista yet. Would the XP driver work? Or
> can someone recommend a different make/type/model that I can go to PC world
> and but now and should definitely work???
>
> Thanks Marcus
>
> "Greg F." wrote:
>
> > Same problem here, swapped out dvd players and it worked fine.
> >
> > "Lasancmt" wrote:
> >
> > > I built a second PC today. this time using an ASUS P5WD2 Premium motherboard
> > > with intel pentium 4 630+ processor and SATA Raid1 disk configuration
> > >
> > > The Vista Beta 2 x64 Installation disk boots up fine, but falls at the
> > > first hurdle: " A required CD/DVD device driver is missing, if you have a
> > > driver floppy disk insert it now."
> > >
> > > I must admit im still confused. I tried a few CD's to no avail. To me its a
> > > chicken and egg situation. The motherboard manual discusses making a RAID
> > > driver floppy disk. Should I do that on an old non 64 bit computer and then
> > > insert it in my new vista computer at this point?
> > >
> > > In general the BIOS setup disk that comes with a new motherboard. Do you run
> > > this after you install the target OS or before, using some sort of DOS boot
> > > floppy like an old windows 98 startup disk? I am confused, please help again.
> > >
> > > Regards Marcus

john

Marcus

Are you trying to download the Vista RC1 directly to the DVD Drive. If so
you should realize that the difference between the write speed of a DVD and
a Hard Disk is like night and day. (Many orders of magnitude) You should
1st download the file to your hard drive and than write it to the DVD. That
will speed up the process substantially.

John

"Lasancmt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can you believe it? just boaght the latest SONY DVD RW+ type DW-G120 A and
> it
> comes up with exactly the same message
> Downloading VISTA RC1 (very slowly) Anyone think this will solve the
> problem? Was trying Beta 2 before....
>
> Marcus
>
> "Lasancmt" wrote:
>
>> Hmmm... This was a brand new LG DVD-ROM. On their web site for driver
>> support
>> they of course do not list Windows Vista yet. Would the XP driver work?
>> Or
>> can someone recommend a different make/type/model that I can go to PC
>> world
>> and but now and should definitely work???
>>
>> Thanks Marcus
>>
>> "Greg F." wrote:
>>
>> > Same problem here, swapped out dvd players and it worked fine.

=?Utf-8?B?TGFzYW5jbXQ=?=

Hi John, No i am downloading it to a folder on my laptop, which had a dvd
burner. Its still slow at 13% complete. probabbly will be there next morning.
Not sure how to make a bootable DVD yet. Meanwhile tearing my hair out to
find a 64 bit driver for my SONY DVD RW+ model DW-G120A

"john" wrote:

> Marcus
>
> Are you trying to download the Vista RC1 directly to the DVD Drive. If so
> you should realize that the difference between the write speed of a DVD and
> a Hard Disk is like night and day. (Many orders of magnitude) You should
> 1st download the file to your hard drive and than write it to the DVD. That
> will speed up the process substantially.
>
> John
>

> "Lasancmt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can you believe it? just boaght the latest SONY DVD RW+ type DW-G120 A and
> > it
> > comes up with exactly the same message
> > Downloading VISTA RC1 (very slowly) Anyone think this will solve the
> > problem? Was trying Beta 2 before....
> >
> > Marcus
> >
> > "Lasancmt" wrote:
> >
> >> Hmmm... This was a brand new LG DVD-ROM. On their web site for driver
> >> support
> >> they of course do not list Windows Vista yet. Would the XP driver work?
> >> Or
> >> can someone recommend a different make/type/model that I can go to PC
> >> world
> >> and but now and should definitely work???
> >>
> >> Thanks Marcus

=?Utf-8?B?SkQgV2lsbGlhbXM=?=

Hi Guys,
Maybe you can help me. I have been running my ASUS P5WD2-E
Premium for a couple of months on XP. I have a LG DVD RW on mine. I also
have the Intel 640 CPU. Here is the question. I can't get the Vista Beta
2(5600) to install. It boots up and then "Copying Files" and then a faint
logo screen with the copyright info and LOCKUP. I just used this same
install DVD on my old system and it worked fine. I keep seeing x64 in your
forum entries, should I be using the x64 version on my ASUS??? I wonder if
that is the reason? Any ideas?
--
Thanks - JD Williams

"Lasancmt" wrote:

> Hi John, No i am downloading it to a folder on my laptop, which had a dvd
> burner. Its still slow at 13% complete. probabbly will be there next morning.
> Not sure how to make a bootable DVD yet. Meanwhile tearing my hair out to
> find a 64 bit driver for my SONY DVD RW+ model DW-G120A
>
> "john" wrote:
>
> > Marcus
> >
> > Are you trying to download the Vista RC1 directly to the DVD Drive. If so
> > you should realize that the difference between the write speed of a DVD and
> > a Hard Disk is like night and day. (Many orders of magnitude) You should
> > 1st download the file to your hard drive and than write it to the DVD. That
> > will speed up the process substantially.
> >
> > John
> >

> > "Lasancmt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Can you believe it? just boaght the latest SONY DVD RW+ type DW-G120 A and
> > > it
> > > comes up with exactly the same message
> > > Downloading VISTA RC1 (very slowly) Anyone think this will solve the
> > > problem? Was trying Beta 2 before....
> > >
> > > Marcus

Colin Barnhorst

There are still teething problems with the SE bios. Don't try with more
than 2GB of ram.

"JD Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Guys,
> Maybe you can help me. I have been running my ASUS P5WD2-E
> Premium for a couple of months on XP. I have a LG DVD RW on mine. I also
> have the Intel 640 CPU. Here is the question. I can't get the Vista Beta
> 2(5600) to install. It boots up and then "Copying Files" and then a faint
> logo screen with the copyright info and LOCKUP. I just used this same
> install DVD on my old system and it worked fine. I keep seeing x64 in
> your
> forum entries, should I be using the x64 version on my ASUS??? I wonder
> if
> that is the reason? Any ideas?
> --
> Thanks - JD Williams
>

> "Lasancmt" wrote:
>
>> Hi John, No i am downloading it to a folder on my laptop, which had a dvd
>> burner. Its still slow at 13% complete. probabbly will be there next
>> morning.
>> Not sure how to make a bootable DVD yet. Meanwhile tearing my hair out to
>> find a 64 bit driver for my SONY DVD RW+ model DW-G120A
>>
>> "john" wrote:
>>
>> > Marcus
>> >
>> > Are you trying to download the Vista RC1 directly to the DVD Drive. If
>> > so
>> > you should realize that the difference between the write speed of a DVD
>> > and
>> > a Hard Disk is like night and day. (Many orders of magnitude) You
>> > should
>> > 1st download the file to your hard drive and than write it to the DVD.
>> > That
>> > will speed up the process substantially.
>> >
>> > John
>> >

>> > "Lasancmt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?SkQgV2lsbGlhbXM=?=

OK? I guess you mean by "teething problems", that the bios is very new.
What SE BIOS are you referring to??? Does my ASUS p5wd2-e use that BIOS?
And if it does, is there a way to install Vista RC1. I only have 2gb. Thanks.
--
Thanks - JD Williams