Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > rbf roll back file

rbf roll back file

miso@sushi.com

I've been getting a message on start up that windows cannot open the
file A0008603.rbf . Doing some surfing, I'm not really sure I'd like
windows to open a roll back file. Any clues on this issue?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Dual booting with Vista? Just guessing, but that can mess up your restore
points.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> Dual booting with Vista? Just guessing, but that can mess up your restore
> points.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I've been getting a message on start up that windows cannot open the
> > file A0008603.rbf . Doing some surfing, I'm not really sure I'd like
> > windows to open a roll back file. Any clues on this issue?

This PC does have a dual boot to XP and x64, but I haven't used XP in
months. I bought XP on the net and it didn't authenticate. I got my
money back fortunately, so then I figured I'd get X64. I uninstalled my
software from the XP partition, but use it as my data partition,
putting X64 OS on a different partition.

Personally, I don't think I want to restore back to any previous state
of my X64 system. So what is up with the file?

John Barnes

Personally I'd rename the file if it exists and see if it solves the
message problem (maybe .fbr) . Odds are no problem but you can rename it
back in recovery console or from your other system if it causes a problem.
Then I would probably delete it and make a copy of another .rbf file and
rename it to the defective file name.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>> Dual booting with Vista? Just guessing, but that can mess up your restore
>> points.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> > I've been getting a message on start up that windows cannot open the
>> > file A0008603.rbf . Doing some surfing, I'm not really sure I'd like
>> > windows to open a roll back file. Any clues on this issue?

> This PC does have a dual boot to XP and x64, but I haven't used XP in
> months. I bought XP on the net and it didn't authenticate. I got my
> money back fortunately, so then I figured I'd get X64. I uninstalled my
> software from the XP partition, but use it as my data partition,
> putting X64 OS on a different partition.
>
> Personally, I don't think I want to restore back to any previous state
> of my X64 system. So what is up with the file?

miso@sushi.com

Good idea. I found it and renamed it to a txt extension.

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Good idea. I found it and renamed it to a txt extension.
>
> John Barnes wrote:
> > Personally I'd rename the file if it exists and see if it solves the
> > message problem (maybe .fbr) . Odds are no problem but you can rename it
> > back in recovery console or from your other system if it causes a problem.
> > Then I would probably delete it and make a copy of another .rbf file and
> > rename it to the defective file name.
> >
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> > > This PC does have a dual boot to XP and x64, but I haven't used XP in
> > > months. I bought XP on the net and it didn't authenticate. I got my
> > > money back fortunately, so then I figured I'd get X64. I uninstalled my
> > > software from the XP partition, but use it as my data partition,
> > > putting X64 OS on a different partition.
> > >
> > > Personally, I don't think I want to restore back to any previous state
> > > of my X64 system. So what is up with the file?

Well, now windows fires up notepad with this file when I boot.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Go into regedit and search on the file name. See what's calling it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Good idea. I found it and renamed it to a txt extension.
>>
>> John Barnes wrote:
>> > Personally I'd rename the file if it exists and see if it solves the
>> > message problem (maybe .fbr) . Odds are no problem but you can rename
>> > it
>> > back in recovery console or from your other system if it causes a
>> > problem.
>> > Then I would probably delete it and make a copy of another .rbf file
>> > and
>> > rename it to the defective file name.
>> >
>> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Well, now windows fires up notepad with this file when I boot.

John Barnes

Like I originally said, I would use .fbr for the file name first.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Good idea. I found it and renamed it to a txt extension.
>>
>> John Barnes wrote:
>> > Personally I'd rename the file if it exists and see if it solves the
>> > message problem (maybe .fbr) . Odds are no problem but you can rename
>> > it
>> > back in recovery console or from your other system if it causes a
>> > problem.
>> > Then I would probably delete it and make a copy of another .rbf file
>> > and
>> > rename it to the defective file name.
>> >
>> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Well, now windows fires up notepad with this file when I boot.

Gene

> I've been getting a message on start up that windows cannot open the
> file A0008603.rbf .

This just happened to me (in Windows XP 32-bit) after uninstalling
Diskeeper. Turns out the uninstaller left a Startup item in my Startup
folder that was pointing to the .rbf file that was now in my
Norton-protected Recycle Bin. I deleted the files in the Recycle Bin and
removed the startup item and the problem was solved.

The way I figure it out was to open the .rbf file in Notepad. At the end of
the file was all the information I needed to figure out what was happening.

Hope that helps,
Gene

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I've been getting a message on start up that windows cannot open the
> file A0008603.rbf . Doing some surfing, I'm not really sure I'd like
> windows to open a roll back file. Any clues on this issue?

miso@sushi.com

I can do that, but it seems to me I'll be back in the situation where
the computer can't find a program for the file. So what does fbr solve?