Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Boot folder delete how?

Boot folder delete how?

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=

I am dualbooting XP x64 and Vista. Now when I want to install a new build of
Vista, I want to delete everything Vista related.
I have formatted the Vista partion, deleted Bootsect.BAK and Boot.BAK and
edited boot.ini. When trying to delete the Boot folder, I get the following
error message:
"Cannot delete bootfix.bin: Access is denied.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not
currently in use."
With previous Vista builds it was no problem to delete the Boot folder. This
is new to Pre-RC1.
I have also done a XP repair with the recovery console and ran fixboot, but
it did not help. Nor Safe Mode with the Administrator account.

--
Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
Core 2 Extreme X6800

John Barnes

Have you repaired the MBR so you are booting thru ntldr instead of the Vista
boot file? If not use VistaBootPro or EasyBCD to change your boot process.

"Maratonmannen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am dualbooting XP x64 and Vista. Now when I want to install a new build
>of
> Vista, I want to delete everything Vista related.
> I have formatted the Vista partion, deleted Bootsect.BAK and Boot.BAK and
> edited boot.ini. When trying to delete the Boot folder, I get the
> following
> error message:
> "Cannot delete bootfix.bin: Access is denied.
> Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not
> currently in use."
> With previous Vista builds it was no problem to delete the Boot folder.
> This
> is new to Pre-RC1.
> I have also done a XP repair with the recovery console and ran fixboot,
> but
> it did not help. Nor Safe Mode with the Administrator account.
>
> --
> Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
> Core 2 Extreme X6800
> RAPTOR 2x150 GB RAID 0 (ICH7R)
> 4GB DDR2 800MHz
> GeForce 7800GTX (91.47)
> Samsung 24"
> Enermax 660W 35A@+12V
> LAN 100/100

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=

I can boot into XP as normal. There is no bootloader, XP just starts.

My question was, How do I delete the Boot folder in XP?
Let´s say I will not dualboot anymore, then I have no need for the Boot
folder in XP C:\Boot

--

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Have you repaired the MBR so you are booting thru ntldr instead of the Vista
> boot file? If not use VistaBootPro or EasyBCD to change your boot process.
>
> "Maratonmannen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am dualbooting XP x64 and Vista. Now when I want to install a new build
> >of
> > Vista, I want to delete everything Vista related.
> > I have formatted the Vista partion, deleted Bootsect.BAK and Boot.BAK and
> > edited boot.ini. When trying to delete the Boot folder, I get the
> > following
> > error message:
> > "Cannot delete bootfix.bin: Access is denied.
> > Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not
> > currently in use."
> > With previous Vista builds it was no problem to delete the Boot folder.
> > This
> > is new to Pre-RC1.
> > I have also done a XP repair with the recovery console and ran fixboot,
> > but
> > it did not help. Nor Safe Mode with the Administrator account.
> >
> > --
> > Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
> > Core 2 Extreme X6800
> > RAPTOR 2x150 GB RAID 0 (ICH7R)
> > 4GB DDR2 800MHz
> > GeForce 7800GTX (91.47)
> > Samsung 24"
> > Enermax 660W 35A@+12V
> > LAN 100/100

John Barnes

You should be able to delete it from the Recovery Console, but read my post.
Fix your MBR first. Make sure you are not booting thru the Vista boot file.
From XP you can try to delete that specific file by itself first, then the
boot folder.

"Maratonmannen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I can boot into XP as normal. There is no bootloader, XP just starts.
>
> My question was, How do I delete the Boot folder in XP?
> Let´s say I will not dualboot anymore, then I have no need for the Boot
> folder in XP C:\Boot
>
> --
> Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
> Core 2 Extreme X6800
> RAPTOR 2x150 GB RAID 0 (ICH7R)
> 4GB DDR2 800MHz
> GeForce 7800GTX (91.47)
> Samsung 24"
> Enermax 660W 35A@+12V
> LAN 100/100
>

> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Have you repaired the MBR so you are booting thru ntldr instead of the
>> Vista
>> boot file? If not use VistaBootPro or EasyBCD to change your boot
>> process.
>>
>> "Maratonmannen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I am dualbooting XP x64 and Vista. Now when I want to install a new
>> >build
>> >of
>> > Vista, I want to delete everything Vista related.
>> > I have formatted the Vista partion, deleted Bootsect.BAK and Boot.BAK
>> > and
>> > edited boot.ini. When trying to delete the Boot folder, I get the
>> > following
>> > error message:
>> > "Cannot delete bootfix.bin: Access is denied.
>> > Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is
>> > not
>> > currently in use."
>> > With previous Vista builds it was no problem to delete the Boot folder.
>> > This
>> > is new to Pre-RC1.
>> > I have also done a XP repair with the recovery console and ran fixboot,
>> > but
>> > it did not help. Nor Safe Mode with the Administrator account.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
>> > Core 2 Extreme X6800
>> > RAPTOR 2x150 GB RAID 0 (ICH7R)
>> > 4GB DDR2 800MHz
>> > GeForce 7800GTX (91.47)
>> > Samsung 24"
>> > Enermax 660W 35A@+12V
>> > LAN 100/100

Charlie Russel - MVP

John is correct, you should first ensure that you're booting via the XP boot
process.

There's normally no need to delete the boot folder, unless you're not
planning to ever boot into Vista again or ever install it again. But if that
were the case, you'd have to take ownership of the folder and all files in
the folder, then change the permissions on the files to give yourself full
control, then delete them.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Maratonmannen wrote:
> I can boot into XP as normal. There is no bootloader, XP just starts.
>
> My question was, How do I delete the Boot folder in XP?
> Let´s say I will not dualboot anymore, then I have no need for the Boot
> folder in XP C:\Boot
>

>> Have you repaired the MBR so you are booting thru ntldr instead of the
>> Vista boot file? If not use VistaBootPro or EasyBCD to change your boot
>> process.
>>
>> "Maratonmannen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I am dualbooting XP x64 and Vista. Now when I want to install a new
>>> build of
>>> Vista, I want to delete everything Vista related.
>>> I have formatted the Vista partion, deleted Bootsect.BAK and Boot.BAK
>>> and edited boot.ini. When trying to delete the Boot folder, I get the
>>> following
>>> error message:
>>> "Cannot delete bootfix.bin: Access is denied.
>>> Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is
>>> not currently in use."
>>> With previous Vista builds it was no problem to delete the Boot folder.
>>> This
>>> is new to Pre-RC1.
>>> I have also done a XP repair with the recovery console and ran fixboot,
>>> but
>>> it did not help. Nor Safe Mode with the Administrator account.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
>>> Core 2 Extreme X6800
>>> RAPTOR 2x150 GB RAID 0 (ICH7R)
>>> 4GB DDR2 800MHz
>>> GeForce 7800GTX (91.47)
>>> Samsung 24"
>>> Enermax 660W 35A@+12V
>>> LAN 100/100

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=

I have tried with taking ownership, but failed to delete the folder. Must
have missed something.
Will try next time a Vista build is out.

Now dualbooting x64 with Vista 5728.

Thanks for your answers!