Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Defective program group shortcut for 32-bit programs on Vista x64

Defective program group shortcut for 32-bit programs on Vista x64

David Wilkinson

The first thing I noticed when I installed my 32-bit app on Vista x64
was that the program icon was missing from the shortcut on the program
group. It turned out that this was because the shortcut generated by
InnoSetup was defective.

32-bit programs on x64 operating systems (XP or Vista) are typically
installed into

Program Files (x86)\MyCompany\MyApp

If I look in this location in Explorer, the program is there with its
application icon on both x64 platforms.

On XP x64, the shortcut is installed to

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Myapp

My application icon is there, and the target is the above location. So
all is good in XP x64.

In the new and confusing Vista, the shortcut is installed to

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\MyApp

However, the target is

C:\Program Files\MyCompany\MyApp\MyApp.exe

The (x86) is missing, see? The shortcut actually works (somehow?), but
this is why my icon is missing - the target is "wrong". Worse yet, if I
click on the "General" tab of the shortcut Properties, a message comes
up that

C:\Program Files\MyCompany\MyApp\MyApp.exe

is not a valid target (it's true!), and refuses to open the tab. If I
manually change the target to

C:\Program Files (x86)\MyCompany\MyApp\MyApp.exe

then everything is fixed. The icon appears on the shortcut, and I can
view the Properties of the shortcut.

Comments
--------

1. This problem occurs for all programs installed by InnoSetup on Vista
x64 (in particular InnoSetup itself).

2. It also occurs for Mozilla Firefox, which does not use InnoSetup.
Here the program icon is present, but the Properties of the shortcut
cannot be viewed (as described above).

3. This problem does not occur on XP x64, which suggests that this is a
Vista problem, rather than a problem with the installation program.

4. For a pre-installed program like 32-bit Internet Explorer, the
shortcut has the correct target.

5. Using Windows Explorer to create a shortcut to something in the
Program Files (x86) folder yields a valid shortcut.

David Wilkinson

Charlie Russel - MVP

Sounds like a bug with the setup program. I'd report it to the vendor of the
32-bit app.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

David Wilkinson wrote:
> The first thing I noticed when I installed my 32-bit app on Vista x64
> was that the program icon was missing from the shortcut on the program
> group. It turned out that this was because the shortcut generated by
> InnoSetup was defective.
>
> 32-bit programs on x64 operating systems (XP or Vista) are typically
> installed into
>
> Program Files (x86)\MyCompany\MyApp
>
> If I look in this location in Explorer, the program is there with its
> application icon on both x64 platforms.
>
> On XP x64, the shortcut is installed to
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Myapp
>
> My application icon is there, and the target is the above location. So
> all is good in XP x64.
>
> In the new and confusing Vista, the shortcut is installed to
>
> C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\MyApp
>
> However, the target is
>
> C:\Program Files\MyCompany\MyApp\MyApp.exe
>
> The (x86) is missing, see? The shortcut actually works (somehow?), but
> this is why my icon is missing - the target is "wrong". Worse yet, if I
> click on the "General" tab of the shortcut Properties, a message comes
> up that
>
> C:\Program Files\MyCompany\MyApp\MyApp.exe
>
> is not a valid target (it's true!), and refuses to open the tab. If I
> manually change the target to
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\MyCompany\MyApp\MyApp.exe
>
> then everything is fixed. The icon appears on the shortcut, and I can
> view the Properties of the shortcut.
>
> Comments
> --------
>
> 1. This problem occurs for all programs installed by InnoSetup on Vista
> x64 (in particular InnoSetup itself).
>
> 2. It also occurs for Mozilla Firefox, which does not use InnoSetup.
> Here the program icon is present, but the Properties of the shortcut
> cannot be viewed (as described above).
>
> 3. This problem does not occur on XP x64, which suggests that this is a
> Vista problem, rather than a problem with the installation program.
>
> 4. For a pre-installed program like 32-bit Internet Explorer, the
> shortcut has the correct target.
>
> 5. Using Windows Explorer to create a shortcut to something in the
> Program Files (x86) folder yields a valid shortcut.
>
> David Wilkinson

Jane C

I've noticed exactly the same thing on Vista x64. XP Pro x64 does not have
this problem.

It's not just InnoSetup installers either. Even MSI installers do the same
thing on Vista x64.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
"David Wilkinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> The first thing I noticed when I installed my 32-bit app on Vista x64 was
> that the program icon was missing from the shortcut on the program group.
> It turned out that this was because the shortcut generated by InnoSetup
> was defective.
>
> 32-bit programs on x64 operating systems (XP or Vista) are typically
> installed into
>
> Program Files (x86)\MyCompany\MyApp
>
> If I look in this location in Explorer, the program is there with its
> application icon on both x64 platforms.
>
> On XP x64, the shortcut is installed to
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Myapp
>
> My application icon is there, and the target is the above location. So all
> is good in XP x64.
>
> In the new and confusing Vista, the shortcut is installed to
>
> C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\MyApp
>
> However, the target is
>
> C:\Program Files\MyCompany\MyApp\MyApp.exe
>
> The (x86) is missing, see? The shortcut actually works (somehow?), but
> this is why my icon is missing - the target is "wrong". Worse yet, if I
> click on the "General" tab of the shortcut Properties, a message comes up
> that
>
> C:\Program Files\MyCompany\MyApp\MyApp.exe
>
> is not a valid target (it's true!), and refuses to open the tab. If I
> manually change the target to
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\MyCompany\MyApp\MyApp.exe
>
> then everything is fixed. The icon appears on the shortcut, and I can view
> the Properties of the shortcut.
>
> Comments
> --------
>
> 1. This problem occurs for all programs installed by InnoSetup on Vista
> x64 (in particular InnoSetup itself).
>
> 2. It also occurs for Mozilla Firefox, which does not use InnoSetup. Here
> the program icon is present, but the Properties of the shortcut cannot be
> viewed (as described above).
>
> 3. This problem does not occur on XP x64, which suggests that this is a
> Vista problem, rather than a problem with the installation program.
>
> 4. For a pre-installed program like 32-bit Internet Explorer, the shortcut
> has the correct target.
>
> 5. Using Windows Explorer to create a shortcut to something in the Program
> Files (x86) folder yields a valid shortcut.
>
> David Wilkinson

David Wilkinson

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

> Sounds like a bug with the setup program. I'd report it to the vendor of the
> 32-bit app.

Charlie:

I don't think so. The author of Inno setup is of the opinion that it is
a Vista bug. The same setup works correctly on XP x64, where the (x86)
issue is the same.

David Wilkinson

Colin Barnhorst

No, I don't think it is the same. Icons are not drawn the same way so there
may be other differences also.

"David Wilkinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>
>> Sounds like a bug with the setup program. I'd report it to the vendor of
>> the 32-bit app.
>>

> Charlie:
>
> I don't think so. The author of Inno setup is of the opinion that it is a
> Vista bug. The same setup works correctly on XP x64, where the (x86) issue
> is the same.
>
> David Wilkinson

David Wilkinson

Colin Barnhorst wrote:

> No, I don't think it is the same. Icons are not drawn the same way so there
> may be other differences also.
>
> "David Wilkinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>>

>>>Sounds like a bug with the setup program. I'd report it to the vendor of
>>>the 32-bit app.
>>>

>>Charlie:
>>
>>I don't think so. The author of Inno setup is of the opinion that it is a
>>Vista bug. The same setup works correctly on XP x64, where the (x86) issue
>>is the same.
>>
>>David Wilkinson

Colin:

The underlying problem has nothing to do with icons; it is just a
manifestation of the fact that the shortcut has the wrong target, and so
cannot pick up the icon from the target. If the target is corrected
manually, the problem goes away and the icon is seen.

David Wilkinson

John Barnes

Did you report this to Microsoft using the reporting tool?

"David Wilkinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>
>> No, I don't think it is the same. Icons are not drawn the same way so
>> there may be other differences also.
>>
>> "David Wilkinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Charlie:
>>>
>>>I don't think so. The author of Inno setup is of the opinion that it is a
>>>Vista bug. The same setup works correctly on XP x64, where the (x86)
>>>issue is the same.
>>>
>>>David Wilkinson

> Colin:
>
> The underlying problem has nothing to do with icons; it is just a
> manifestation of the fact that the shortcut has the wrong target, and so
> cannot pick up the icon from the target. If the target is corrected
> manually, the problem goes away and the icon is seen.
>
> David Wilkinson

David Wilkinson

John Barnes wrote:

> Did you report this to Microsoft using the reporting tool?

John:

Of course. I reported it many weeks ago for the July CTP x64 version.
But I have received no feedback, and this fundamental problem remains in
RC1 x64.

David Wilkinson

mikeyhsd

microsoft claims they cannot reproduce it.

a easy way to fix the problem is to open the properties of the shortcut and click on FIND TARGET. then click on CHANGE ICON.
APPLY and OK out,.

I even used the BROWSE button during install to manually point to the correct folder and it still came out WRONG.

have reported it to ms for the last 3 builds.

mikeyhsd wrote:

> microsoft claims they cannot reproduce it.
>
> a easy way to fix the problem is to open the properties of the shortcut and click on FIND TARGET. then click on CHANGE ICON.
> APPLY and OK out,.
>
> I even used the BROWSE button during install to manually point to the correct folder and it still came out WRONG.
>
> have reported it to ms for the last 3 builds.

This is BS. Once again, it is not the icon that is the issue, rather the
fact that the target is wrong.

Is anybody here NOT able to reproduce this problem on Vista x64 RC1?
Steps to reproduce:

1. Install Mozilla FireFox
2. Start->Programs-> right click on Mozilla FireFox
3. Select Properties
4. Look at the target - it is missing the (x86)
5. Click the General (or any other) tab - error message states that
target is incorrect.

This problem does not occur for XP x64.

David Wilkinson