Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > USB Device Not Recognised?

USB Device Not Recognised?

=?Utf-8?B?SG9sbHkh?=

Hi everyone, I am just wondering why I can't use memory sticks in my
computer...i have tried three separate sticks, and when I open E drive, no
files come up..also, most times when I connect my memory stick, I get the msg
"USB device not recognised"..any help would be greatly appreciated, and if
you could keep it simple, that would be even better! Cheers, Holly

Colin Barnhorst

Assuming the sticks are recognized on other computers you have access to, be
sure to try them in all the ports, front and back, and without any external
hub devices. It is possible that not all usb connectors on the box are
wired for use.

"Holly!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone, I am just wondering why I can't use memory sticks in my
> computer...i have tried three separate sticks, and when I open E drive, no
> files come up..also, most times when I connect my memory stick, I get the
> msg
> "USB device not recognised"..any help would be greatly appreciated, and if
> you could keep it simple, that would be even better! Cheers, Holly

=?Utf-8?B?SG9sbHkh?=

Hi Colin. I didn't even know there were more ports at the back of my
computer! Even so, I tried them as well and had no luck. Thankyou for your
time anyway, and if you have any other ideas, let me know! Cheers

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Assuming the sticks are recognized on other computers you have access to, be
> sure to try them in all the ports, front and back, and without any external
> hub devices. It is possible that not all usb connectors on the box are
> wired for use.
>
> "Holly!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi everyone, I am just wondering why I can't use memory sticks in my
> > computer...i have tried three separate sticks, and when I open E drive, no
> > files come up..also, most times when I connect my memory stick, I get the
> > msg
> > "USB device not recognised"..any help would be greatly appreciated, and if
> > you could keep it simple, that would be even better! Cheers, Holly

Colin Barnhorst

Try running the System File Checker, "sfc /scannow" in a command line
window, and see if it is caused by a bad system file.

"Holly!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Colin. I didn't even know there were more ports at the back of my
> computer! Even so, I tried them as well and had no luck. Thankyou for your
> time anyway, and if you have any other ideas, let me know! Cheers
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Assuming the sticks are recognized on other computers you have access to,
>> be
>> sure to try them in all the ports, front and back, and without any
>> external
>> hub devices. It is possible that not all usb connectors on the box are
>> wired for use.
>>
>> "Holly!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi everyone, I am just wondering why I can't use memory sticks in my
>> > computer...i have tried three separate sticks, and when I open E drive,
>> > no
>> > files come up..also, most times when I connect my memory stick, I get
>> > the
>> > msg
>> > "USB device not recognised"..any help would be greatly appreciated, and
>> > if
>> > you could keep it simple, that would be even better! Cheers, Holly

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kcsOp?=

Hi Holly,

I believe the main reason you can not get your sticks recognized is because
you need to make sure your remove hardware safely Icon in the task bar is
active.

Need help? Let me know,

André

"Holly!" wrote:

> Hi Colin. I didn't even know there were more ports at the back of my
> computer! Even so, I tried them as well and had no luck. Thankyou for your
> time anyway, and if you have any other ideas, let me know! Cheers
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
> > Assuming the sticks are recognized on other computers you have access to, be
> > sure to try them in all the ports, front and back, and without any external
> > hub devices. It is possible that not all usb connectors on the box are
> > wired for use.
> >
> > "Holly!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi everyone, I am just wondering why I can't use memory sticks in my
> > > computer...i have tried three separate sticks, and when I open E drive, no
> > > files come up..also, most times when I connect my memory stick, I get the
> > > msg
> > > "USB device not recognised"..any help would be greatly appreciated, and if
> > > you could keep it simple, that would be even better! Cheers, Holly

=?Utf-8?B?Y3liZXJicmk=?=

I had the same problem with my two pen drives one PNY the other Twinmos, When
it asked me for the drivers, I selected "I do not have drivers, what else can
I do" which then gives you a pop-up window where you need to select "Browse"
that opens another pop-up window, this gives you access to your root
directory, please select C:\Windows and click on "OK", your computer will
start looking through all folders to find the drivers for your memory sticks
(or in my case pen drives). Hope this helps