Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Networking question (sorry if OT to X64)

Networking question (sorry if OT to X64)

miso@sushi.com

I posted this on the "firewall" newsgroup and the question has sit for
5 days without a hit. Sorry if OT here.
--------------------

Lets call the remote computer x64. On my win2kpro machine, I can "see"
the remote computer under "my network places"->workgroup-"x64

I can ping the x64 machine using the address supplied from the DHCP
clients list on my router.

When I double click on the x64 icon, I get a pop up box titled "enter
network password for: \\x64

Now here is where the problem occurs. Though I know the password for
administrator on the X64 machine, the pop up doesn't accept it.

When logged into the X64 machine, under user profiles, the
administrator is listed as
X64\administrator
When I use that user name in the pop up box on the win2pro machine, the
command takes a bit longer before failing

The error message is "incorrect password or unknown user".

Is the password used to log into the x64 machine locally not the same
as the username and password to log in over a network?

Charlie Russel - MVP

The problem is that user "x64\administrator" is not the same as user
"othermachine\administrator". And depending on your firewall settings, it
might make no difference anyway if the firewall isn't set to allow access to
files.

To use files on the x64 machine, open windows explorer or a command prompt.
Personally, I like a command prompt, but there it is. In either case, you're
going to connect with different credentials. You want to select Map network
drive, and then click Connect using a different user name if you're in the
gui. But at the command prompt:

net use * \\x64\share /user:Administrator

If you have "simple file sharing" enabled, all bets are off. I don't use it,
can't stand it, and never know what it actually does.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> I posted this on the "firewall" newsgroup and the question has sit for
> 5 days without a hit. Sorry if OT here.
> --------------------
>
> Lets call the remote computer x64. On my win2kpro machine, I can "see"
> the remote computer under "my network places"->workgroup-"x64
>
> I can ping the x64 machine using the address supplied from the DHCP
> clients list on my router.
>
> When I double click on the x64 icon, I get a pop up box titled "enter
> network password for: \\x64
>
> Now here is where the problem occurs. Though I know the password for
> administrator on the X64 machine, the pop up doesn't accept it.
>
> When logged into the X64 machine, under user profiles, the
> administrator is listed as
> X64\administrator
> When I use that user name in the pop up box on the win2pro machine, the
> command takes a bit longer before failing
>
> The error message is "incorrect password or unknown user".
>
> Is the password used to log into the x64 machine locally not the same
> as the username and password to log in over a network?

miso@sushi.com

I'm running samba on a suse 10.00 linux box with the default "tux-net".
I can connect from the x64 to the linux machine, but not vice versa.
I'm not using mapped drives. I would like to FTP between machines too.

>From the control panel, I fired up the "windows firewall", and don't

see a place to set passwords. I do have FTP enabled.

It is a bit baffling since the two way link works between my win2kpro
machine and the linux machine. That is, I just use the administrator
username and password when logging into my win2kpro machine from the
linux machine.

My gut feeling here is I don't know enough about networking to phrase
the question properly. Is there is a good resource on line for X64
firewall?

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> The problem is that user "x64\administrator" is not the same as user
> "othermachine\administrator". And depending on your firewall settings, it
> might make no difference anyway if the firewall isn't set to allow access to
> files.
>
> To use files on the x64 machine, open windows explorer or a command prompt.
> Personally, I like a command prompt, but there it is. In either case, you're
> going to connect with different credentials. You want to select Map network
> drive, and then click Connect using a different user name if you're in the
> gui. But at the command prompt:
>
> net use * \\x64\share /user:Administrator
>
> If you have "simple file sharing" enabled, all bets are off. I don't use it,
> can't stand it, and never know what it actually does.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I posted this on the "firewall" newsgroup and the question has sit for
> > 5 days without a hit. Sorry if OT here.
> > --------------------
> >
> > Lets call the remote computer x64. On my win2kpro machine, I can "see"
> > the remote computer under "my network places"->workgroup-"x64
> >
> > I can ping the x64 machine using the address supplied from the DHCP
> > clients list on my router.
> >
> > When I double click on the x64 icon, I get a pop up box titled "enter
> > network password for: \\x64
> >
> > Now here is where the problem occurs. Though I know the password for
> > administrator on the X64 machine, the pop up doesn't accept it.
> >
> > When logged into the X64 machine, under user profiles, the
> > administrator is listed as
> > X64\administrator
> > When I use that user name in the pop up box on the win2pro machine, the
> > command takes a bit longer before failing
> >
> > The error message is "incorrect password or unknown user".
> >
> > Is the password used to log into the x64 machine locally not the same
> > as the username and password to log in over a network?

Charlie Russel - MVP

It's very possible that samba is rejecting the RPC it gets from x64. It's
ultimately a samba problem, and I suspect you may have to see what the
experience is of samba users. I don't use samba, have no need for it, and
don't plan on loading it on my Linux and Unix boxes. I use NFS. (a nuisance
with XP x64, since there's no Services for UNIX for it, but that's solved in
Vista x64, and I'm moving there anyway.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> It's very possible that samba is rejecting the RPC it gets from x64. It's
> ultimately a samba problem, and I suspect you may have to see what the
> experience is of samba users. I don't use samba, have no need for it, and
> don't plan on loading it on my Linux and Unix boxes. I use NFS. (a nuisance
> with XP x64, since there's no Services for UNIX for it, but that's solved in
> Vista x64, and I'm moving there anyway.)
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The problem is that user "x64\administrator" is not the same as user
> > "othermachine\administrator". And depending on your firewall settings, it
> > might make no difference anyway if the firewall isn't set to allow access
> > to files.
> >
> > To use files on the x64 machine, open windows explorer or a command
> > prompt. Personally, I like a command prompt, but there it is. In either
> > case, you're going to connect with different credentials. You want to
> > select Map network drive, and then click Connect using a different user
> > name if you're in the gui. But at the command prompt:
> >
> > net use * \\x64\share /user:Administrator
> >
> > If you have "simple file sharing" enabled, all bets are off. I don't use
> > it, can't stand it, and never know what it actually does.
> >
> > --
> > Charlie.
> > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> >

> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> I posted this on the "firewall" newsgroup and the question has sit for
> >> 5 days without a hit. Sorry if OT here.
> >> --------------------
> >>
> >> Lets call the remote computer x64. On my win2kpro machine, I can "see"
> >> the remote computer under "my network places"->workgroup-"x64
> >>
> >> I can ping the x64 machine using the address supplied from the DHCP
> >> clients list on my router.
> >>
> >> When I double click on the x64 icon, I get a pop up box titled "enter
> >> network password for: \\x64
> >>
> >> Now here is where the problem occurs. Though I know the password for
> >> administrator on the X64 machine, the pop up doesn't accept it.
> >>
> >> When logged into the X64 machine, under user profiles, the
> >> administrator is listed as
> >> X64\administrator
> >> When I use that user name in the pop up box on the win2pro machine, the
> >> command takes a bit longer before failing
> >>
> >> The error message is "incorrect password or unknown user".
> >>
> >> Is the password used to log into the x64 machine locally not the same
> >> as the username and password to log in over a network?

Ah, but I can't ftp from my win2kpro machine into my x64 machine. It
finds it, but I can't get past the password issue.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Check the firewall settings. Under Advanced, you need to go in and specify
that the x64 machine is an ftp server. (sorry, I'm in vista and can't check
the specific buttons and steps, but it's the last tab on the Firewall
dialog, and then highlight the interface in the list near the top, and click
the button. Then specify that it's an ftp server and what machine is the
server. )

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> Check the firewall settings. Under Advanced, you need to go in and specify
> that the x64 machine is an ftp server. (sorry, I'm in vista and can't check
> the specific buttons and steps, but it's the last tab on the Firewall
> dialog, and then highlight the interface in the list near the top, and click
> the button. Then specify that it's an ftp server and what machine is the
> server. )

That was already done. Again, it is this issue of the password for the
net not being the same as the login password.