Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Got my key. Dual boot questions

Got my key. Dual boot questions

Dennis Gordon

My apologies if this is old territory. I got my key today. I've downloaded
both 32 & 64 bit RC1. Haven't made up my mind which to try. Probably go with
the 32 bit for least hassle, but I've been known to embrace the hassle, so
we'll see. BTW our T1 line at work showed a 5+ hr download for the 32 bit.
Comcast, at home, did it in 51 minutes. Amazing.

I have a great new build at home. 3800x2 running at 2.85, 2 x 15K SCSI.
Runnning XP Pro here. I don't want to mess this up or confound things for my
wife who uses the machine a lot. Of course, that's never stopped me from
messing things up in the past, but this time I want to think it out a bit.

So a coupla questions.

I have a spare 36G 15K Fujitsu. I'd want to install RC1 on that and dual
boot exactly as I do at work with XP Pro and XP 64 bit. Is the procedure the
same (boot from DVD, install on scsi drive 2, remove drive and edit boot.ini
to remove all traces, if need be)?

No 64 bit support for my Epson scanner and Canon printer and (I presume) my
wireless gear. Will the XP drivers work for the 32 bit RC1, or do I need to
track 'em down?

My video card is a 64 meg Quadro. Great 2D card. Not so great for the 3D.
Reading about 256 meg video card requirements, I'm wondering how the
relative puniness of the Quadro will affect performance of the apps I run.
No games. Mostly Adobe CS, internet, Cubase etc.

Again, sorry if this has been rehashed often, but this is the best place I
know to get the right info. Thanks...

Colin Barnhorst

Please specify Vista in your posts since not all here work with it. Yes,
you install on a second drive for a dual boot setup. However MS advises not
install Vista on a primary home computer so be sure this is not the computer
that you rely on at home. You will usually need Vista drivers for your
hardware. XP drivers may work but not likely. I don't know where you got
the 256MB requirement for video ram. That is not required even for Glass.
What is required for Glass is DX9 and Pixel Shader 2 supported in hardware.
Otherwise you will get the basic Aero theme, but Vista itself runs on most
anything with at least 512MB of ram and a 1Ghz cpu. Be aware that dual
booting with XP will affect Vista everytime you boot back into XP so be
warned.

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My apologies if this is old territory. I got my key today. I've downloaded
> both 32 & 64 bit RC1. Haven't made up my mind which to try. Probably go
> with the 32 bit for least hassle, but I've been known to embrace the
> hassle, so we'll see. BTW our T1 line at work showed a 5+ hr download for
> the 32 bit. Comcast, at home, did it in 51 minutes. Amazing.
>
> I have a great new build at home. 3800x2 running at 2.85, 2 x 15K SCSI.
> Runnning XP Pro here. I don't want to mess this up or confound things for
> my wife who uses the machine a lot. Of course, that's never stopped me
> from messing things up in the past, but this time I want to think it out a
> bit.
>
> So a coupla questions.
>
> I have a spare 36G 15K Fujitsu. I'd want to install RC1 on that and dual
> boot exactly as I do at work with XP Pro and XP 64 bit. Is the procedure
> the same (boot from DVD, install on scsi drive 2, remove drive and edit
> boot.ini to remove all traces, if need be)?
>
> No 64 bit support for my Epson scanner and Canon printer and (I presume)
> my wireless gear. Will the XP drivers work for the 32 bit RC1, or do I
> need to track 'em down?
>
> My video card is a 64 meg Quadro. Great 2D card. Not so great for the 3D.
> Reading about 256 meg video card requirements, I'm wondering how the
> relative puniness of the Quadro will affect performance of the apps I
> run. No games. Mostly Adobe CS, internet, Cubase etc.
>
> Again, sorry if this has been rehashed often, but this is the best place I
> know to get the right info. Thanks...

Dennis Gordon

> Be aware that dual booting with XP will affect Vista everytime you boot
back into XP so be warned.

Please elaborate.

I thought I'd read some posts regarding GPU requirements. I'll have to
reread them....

Dominic Payer

Vista installs its own boot loader, so removing all traces of Vista is not
as simple as editing boot.ini.

On boot, Vista deletes XP restore points.

Don't assume there is no Vista 64 bit support for Canon printers and Epson
scanners. My Canon S800 printer is supported out of the box on Vista x86 and
x64 (Beta 2 & RC1): there never were x64 drivers for it. My Epson Perfection
4180 scanner works in x64 Vista with the Windows XP x64 Epson driver and
software.

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My apologies if this is old territory. I got my key today. I've downloaded
> both 32 & 64 bit RC1. Haven't made up my mind which to try. Probably go
> with the 32 bit for least hassle, but I've been known to embrace the
> hassle, so we'll see. BTW our T1 line at work showed a 5+ hr download for
> the 32 bit. Comcast, at home, did it in 51 minutes. Amazing.
>
> I have a great new build at home. 3800x2 running at 2.85, 2 x 15K SCSI.
> Runnning XP Pro here. I don't want to mess this up or confound things for
> my wife who uses the machine a lot. Of course, that's never stopped me
> from messing things up in the past, but this time I want to think it out a
> bit.
>
> So a coupla questions.
>
> I have a spare 36G 15K Fujitsu. I'd want to install RC1 on that and dual
> boot exactly as I do at work with XP Pro and XP 64 bit. Is the procedure
> the same (boot from DVD, install on scsi drive 2, remove drive and edit
> boot.ini to remove all traces, if need be)?
>
> No 64 bit support for my Epson scanner and Canon printer and (I presume)
> my wireless gear. Will the XP drivers work for the 32 bit RC1, or do I
> need to track 'em down?
>
> My video card is a 64 meg Quadro. Great 2D card. Not so great for the 3D.
> Reading about 256 meg video card requirements, I'm wondering how the
> relative puniness of the Quadro will affect performance of the apps I
> run. No games. Mostly Adobe CS, internet, Cubase etc.
>
> Again, sorry if this has been rehashed often, but this is the best place I
> know to get the right info. Thanks...

John Barnes

I think it is the other way around. Booting XP deletes Vista restore
points.

"Dominic Payer" <dominic@dc_p_ayer.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vista installs its own boot loader, so removing all traces of Vista is not
> as simple as editing boot.ini.
>
> On boot, Vista deletes XP restore points.
>
> Don't assume there is no Vista 64 bit support for Canon printers and Epson
> scanners. My Canon S800 printer is supported out of the box on Vista x86
> and x64 (Beta 2 & RC1): there never were x64 drivers for it. My Epson
> Perfection 4180 scanner works in x64 Vista with the Windows XP x64 Epson
> driver and software.
>

> "Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My apologies if this is old territory. I got my key today. I've
>> downloaded both 32 & 64 bit RC1. Haven't made up my mind which to try.
>> Probably go with the 32 bit for least hassle, but I've been known to
>> embrace the hassle, so we'll see. BTW our T1 line at work showed a 5+ hr
>> download for the 32 bit. Comcast, at home, did it in 51 minutes. Amazing.
>>
>> I have a great new build at home. 3800x2 running at 2.85, 2 x 15K SCSI.
>> Runnning XP Pro here. I don't want to mess this up or confound things for
>> my wife who uses the machine a lot. Of course, that's never stopped me
>> from messing things up in the past, but this time I want to think it out
>> a bit.
>>
>> So a coupla questions.
>>
>> I have a spare 36G 15K Fujitsu. I'd want to install RC1 on that and dual
>> boot exactly as I do at work with XP Pro and XP 64 bit. Is the procedure
>> the same (boot from DVD, install on scsi drive 2, remove drive and edit
>> boot.ini to remove all traces, if need be)?
>>
>> No 64 bit support for my Epson scanner and Canon printer and (I presume)
>> my wireless gear. Will the XP drivers work for the 32 bit RC1, or do I
>> need to track 'em down?
>>
>> My video card is a 64 meg Quadro. Great 2D card. Not so great for the 3D.
>> Reading about 256 meg video card requirements, I'm wondering how the
>> relative puniness of the Quadro will affect performance of the apps I
>> run. No games. Mostly Adobe CS, internet, Cubase etc.
>>
>> Again, sorry if this has been rehashed often, but this is the best place
>> I know to get the right info. Thanks...

Dennis Gordon

I ran the Upgrade Advisor, and my Canon printers are indeed supported. Not
so for the HP scanner. My Seasound Solist audio interface is questionable,
given that the company went out of business 5 years ago and the existing
working XP driver is a hack. The Quardro is supported without the aero
features.

I don't mind XP Pro screwing with Vista; it's the other way that I'm
concerned. I may just build a nice safe test box where I can't do any
harm...

> Don't assume there is no Vista 64 bit support for Canon printers and Epson
> scanners. My Canon S800 printer is supported out of the box on Vista x86
> and x64 (Beta 2 & RC1): there never were x64 drivers for it. My Epson
> Perfection 4180 scanner works in x64 Vista with the Windows XP x64 Epson
> driver and software.

John Barnes

> I don't mind XP Pro screwing with Vista; it's the other way that I'm
> concerned. I may just build a nice safe test box where I can't do any
> harm...

That is the safest way. There are lots of horror stories about Vista
messing up the XP install as well as more successes. Surprised Colin didn't
give his usual stern warning about installing on the main home machine.

Dennis Gordon

Oh I'm fully aware of that danger. My problem is never knowing when to leave
well enough alone. A machine that's running great is a machine that just
might be pushed a little further. I'll see what I can cobble together...
unless a rainy day and ennui forces my hand

> That is the safest way. There are lots of horror stories about Vista
> messing up the XP install as well as more successes. Surprised Colin
> didn't give his usual stern warning about installing on the main home
> machine.

John Barnes

Personally, I have had no problems, though I installed Vista with only the 1
Vista drive hooked up. The initial upgrade from XP86 was a nightmare and I
had to do a clean install. It has worked mostly quite well. I haven't
received the RC1 DVD so I am referring to beta2. Good luck whichever way
you go. Of course you could spend the next 6 months reading the posts on
the Vista site and wait for the final version. Don't expect you will.

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Oh I'm fully aware of that danger. My problem is never knowing when to
> leave well enough alone. A machine that's running great is a machine that
> just might be pushed a little further. I'll see what I can cobble
> together... unless a rainy day and ennui forces my hand
>>>>

>> That is the safest way. There are lots of horror stories about Vista
>> messing up the XP install as well as more successes. Surprised Colin
>> didn't give his usual stern warning about installing on the main home
>> machine.

=?Utf-8?B?U3BpcmVmbQ==?=

I installed RC1 on a machine that already had dual boot XP (English &
Spanish). That worked fine and gave me a triple-boot system.

Then I decided to make it a quadruple boot 2 - XP and 2 Vista. At that point
I screwed up my XP boots but using VistaBootPro I got back to the qaudruple
boot OK.

Here's what the VistaBootPro setup looks like:-

There are a total of 3 OSes installed into the boot manager.
Current timeout before default boots: 30 seconds.
Default OS: Vista RC1 Colin

Entry # 1

Name: Vista RC1 Colin
BCD ID: {current}
Boot Drive: C:
Windows Drive: C:
System Bootloader: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry # 2

Name: Vista RC1 Edwin
BCD ID: {763be11e-4501-11db-b25d-00508dd97b58}
Boot Drive: H:
Windows Drive: H:
System Bootloader: \windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry # 3

Name: XP English/Spanish
BCD ID: {763be120-4501-11db-b25d-00508dd97b58}
Boot Drive: F:
Windows Drive:
System Bootloader: \ntldr
Windows Directory: