Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > X86 Driver Support for Vista RC1X64

X86 Driver Support for Vista RC1X64

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9yZGFuIEgu?=

Ok, this ones a doozie. I've got a printer connected to a different computer
that's running WinXP Home Edition,(obviously a X86 system.) When I try to
connect to the printer through Vista RC1 X64 using the networked printer
option, it refuses to acknowledge the driver for the printer. I've also
tried to create a TCP/IP port as a local port but cannot find a compatible
driver. The printer is a Lexmark X1185 AIO and will connect when I try
through WinMCE 2005 on a separate partition. I know that it's most likely
because of the fact I'm trying to get a 32bit driver on a 64bit OS. My
question then becomes this, is there a way to convert a 32bit driver to
64bit, or does anyone know of a compatible x64 driver for the X1185. I've
already contacted lexmark and they were absolutely 0 help. Any ideas would
be appreciated. Thx. Jordan

Aaron Kelley

No way to use a 32-bit driver on x64.

- Aaron

"Jordan H." <Jordan (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, this ones a doozie. I've got a printer connected to a different
> computer
> that's running WinXP Home Edition,(obviously a X86 system.) When I try
> connect to the printer through Vista RC1 X64 using the networked printer
> option, it refuses to acknowledge the driver for the printer. I've also
> tried to create a TCP/IP port as a local port but cannot find a compatible
> driver. The printer is a Lexmark X1185 AIO and will connect when I try
> through WinMCE 2005 on a separate partition. I know that it's most likely
> because of the fact I'm trying to get a 32bit driver on a 64bit OS. My
> question then becomes this, is there a way to convert a 32bit driver to
> 64bit, or does anyone know of a compatible x64 driver for the X1185. I've
> already contacted lexmark and they were absolutely 0 help. Any ideas
> would
> be appreciated. Thx. Jordan

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9yZGFuIEgu?=

OK, Kinda Figured as much.
Has anyone heard of a way to convert a 32bit driver to a 64bit one, or
better yet, a compatible 64 bit driver for the X1185?

"Aaron Kelley" wrote:

> No way to use a 32-bit driver on x64.
>
> - Aaron
>
> "Jordan H." <Jordan (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ok, this ones a doozie. I've got a printer connected to a different
> > computer
> > that's running WinXP Home Edition,(obviously a X86 system.) When I try
> > connect to the printer through Vista RC1 X64 using the networked printer
> > option, it refuses to acknowledge the driver for the printer. I've also
> > tried to create a TCP/IP port as a local port but cannot find a compatible
> > driver. The printer is a Lexmark X1185 AIO and will connect when I try
> > through WinMCE 2005 on a separate partition. I know that it's most likely
> > because of the fact I'm trying to get a 32bit driver on a 64bit OS. My
> > question then becomes this, is there a way to convert a 32bit driver to
> > 64bit, or does anyone know of a compatible x64 driver for the X1185. I've
> > already contacted lexmark and they were absolutely 0 help. Any ideas
> > would
> > be appreciated. Thx. Jordan

Aaron Kelley

Sorry I can't help much more...
There is not a way to convert a 32-bit driver to a 64-bit one... It's not
that easy.

If there is an x64 driver available, it should be on the manufacturer's
site. However, there are some less-supported drivers also available from
www.planetamd64.com. However, it's possible that one does not exist for
your device.

- Aaron

"Jordan H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, Kinda Figured as much.
> Has anyone heard of a way to convert a 32bit driver to a 64bit one, or
> better yet, a compatible 64 bit driver for the X1185?
>
> "Aaron Kelley" wrote:
>
>> No way to use a 32-bit driver on x64.
>>
>> - Aaron
>>
>> "Jordan H." <Jordan (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Ok, this ones a doozie. I've got a printer connected to a different
>> > computer
>> > that's running WinXP Home Edition,(obviously a X86 system.) When I
>> > try
>> > connect to the printer through Vista RC1 X64 using the networked
>> > printer
>> > option, it refuses to acknowledge the driver for the printer. I've
>> > also
>> > tried to create a TCP/IP port as a local port but cannot find a
>> > compatible
>> > driver. The printer is a Lexmark X1185 AIO and will connect when I try
>> > through WinMCE 2005 on a separate partition. I know that it's most
>> > likely
>> > because of the fact I'm trying to get a 32bit driver on a 64bit OS. My
>> > question then becomes this, is there a way to convert a 32bit driver
>> > 64bit, or does anyone know of a compatible x64 driver for the X1185.
>> > I've
>> > already contacted lexmark and they were absolutely 0 help. Any ideas
>> > would
>> > be appreciated. Thx. Jordan

John Barnes

Sometimes you can get the print function to work with one of the built in
printer drivers included on x64. The other functions seem to be lost until
Lexmark writes drivers, which I wouldn't count on. Personally I bought a
Brother AIO and it has drivers. Low price and seems cheaper to run than
Lexmark.

"Jordan H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, Kinda Figured as much.
> Has anyone heard of a way to convert a 32bit driver to a 64bit one, or
> better yet, a compatible 64 bit driver for the X1185?
>
> "Aaron Kelley" wrote:
>
>> No way to use a 32-bit driver on x64.
>>
>> - Aaron
>>
>> "Jordan H." <Jordan (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Ok, this ones a doozie. I've got a printer connected to a different
>> > computer
>> > that's running WinXP Home Edition,(obviously a X86 system.) When I
>> > try
>> > connect to the printer through Vista RC1 X64 using the networked
>> > printer
>> > option, it refuses to acknowledge the driver for the printer. I've
>> > also
>> > tried to create a TCP/IP port as a local port but cannot find a
>> > compatible
>> > driver. The printer is a Lexmark X1185 AIO and will connect when I try
>> > through WinMCE 2005 on a separate partition. I know that it's most
>> > likely
>> > because of the fact I'm trying to get a 32bit driver on a 64bit OS. My
>> > question then becomes this, is there a way to convert a 32bit driver
>> > 64bit, or does anyone know of a compatible x64 driver for the X1185.
>> > I've
>> > already contacted lexmark and they were absolutely 0 help. Any ideas
>> > would
>> > be appreciated. Thx. Jordan

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9yZGFuIEgu?=

yeah I hear you on the Brother PRinter. Problem with that is that we aren't
gonna replace a printer over a Beta(RC1) release. Maybe once they go with
full retail. Oh well, MAybe next year. At least it networks with WIN MCE
2005. I knew there was a reason i didn't delete that partition!