Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Removing Obsolete Domains from Logon

Removing Obsolete Domains from Logon

=?Utf-8?B?amlt?=

My former employer configured my laptop to enable me to logon to any school
in the district. There are a dozen domain names to choose from. I am no
longer with this district and my new district will not allow me access to
Internet/Intranet until I remove these old domain names. Can this be done
without formatting my drive or completely reloading Windows.

=?Utf-8?B?amlt?=

When I turn the computer on, I am prompted with Ctrl+Alt+Delete. The window
"Log On to Windows" appears with 3 fields:
"User Name," "Password," and "Log on to"
The Log on to is a drop-down menu which shows all the domains in my old
school district, for example: KENNEDY-DOMAIN, BUNKER-DOMAIN, LINCOLN-DOMAIN,
and so on. These are the entries that are disturbing my IT guy at my new
school district. Before they will let me on the network, I have to make
these disappear.

I hope I have provided you with the information to make my request better
understoond.

"jim" wrote:

> My former employer configured my laptop to enable me to logon to any school
> in the district. There are a dozen domain names to choose from. I am no
> longer with this district and my new district will not allow me access to
> Internet/Intranet until I remove these old domain names. Can this be done
> without formatting my drive or completely reloading Windows.

Tony Sperling

This seems to be a 'pure' networking issue and you might have more and
quicker respons from a networking NG.

Try - microsoft.public.[yourOS].networking?

I know there is a windows2000.networking group and xp /vista should have one
to.

Tony. . .

"jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I turn the computer on, I am prompted with Ctrl+Alt+Delete. The

window
> "Log On to Windows" appears with 3 fields:
> "User Name," "Password," and "Log on to"
> The Log on to is a drop-down menu which shows all the domains in my old
> school district, for example: KENNEDY-DOMAIN, BUNKER-DOMAIN,

LINCOLN-DOMAIN,
> and so on. These are the entries that are disturbing my IT guy at my new
> school district. Before they will let me on the network, I have to make
> these disappear.
>
> I hope I have provided you with the information to make my request better
> understoond.
>

> "jim" wrote:
>
> > My former employer configured my laptop to enable me to logon to any

school
> > in the district. There are a dozen domain names to choose from. I am

no
> > longer with this district and my new district will not allow me access

> > Internet/Intranet until I remove these old domain names. Can this be

done
> > without formatting my drive or completely reloading Windows.

Carl Rash

I'm not sure if this will help, if you are comfortable with using the
registry editor check settings under the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cu rrentVersion\Winlogon

"jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My former employer configured my laptop to enable me to logon to any
> school
> in the district. There are a dozen domain names to choose from. I am no
> longer with this district and my new district will not allow me access to
> Internet/Intranet until I remove these old domain names. Can this be done
> without formatting my drive or completely reloading Windows.

Nut Cracker

the solution is simple ...

create a local ID and password (administrator level) on the laptop. Then,
leave the old domain that the laptop is part of, by joining a workgroup (ANY
workgroup). Then, when you have access to the new network, join the
appropriate domain.

When you join the workgroup, the list of cached domains will disappear.

sweet and simple.

- NuTs

"jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My former employer configured my laptop to enable me to logon to any
> school
> in the district. There are a dozen domain names to choose from. I am no
> longer with this district and my new district will not allow me access to
> Internet/Intranet until I remove these old domain names. Can this be done
> without formatting my drive or completely reloading Windows.

=?Utf-8?B?amlt?=

Thank you for your help. I will pass this information along to my IT
department.

Jim