Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > About to re-surface. . .

About to re-surface. . .

Tony Sperling

Hello!

I have been plagued by numerous problems with my otherwise so wonderfully
stable x64 machine. It's been one thing after the other, and it all started
with the dreadfull NEWDOTNET malware attack of almost six month's ago.

Just now, I found out I'm a reasonably happy man!

Here's why - following the removal of that destructive piece of (you know
what) I took down the system completely. Backed up everything that was
valuable, using Nero 7 Premium, from the 'other' partition of my dual-boot.
I re-installed from scratch and attempted to restore the BU. The BU, I had
done using the 'Verification' routine in Nero, mostly since Nero was
completely new, it was the first serious job, and I wanted to be sure that I
didn't do anything stupid. Verification completed and all was honkey dorey.
To my utter dismay and horror, when restoring, Nero asks me to insert the
labeled disk, it doesn't recognize it, there is nothing on it! Same with the
other two disks - 13GB +.

Over the days, I slowly adjusted to the thought of having to start all over.
I very nearly even used those three disks for something else - why not? They
were completely empty, which I verified myself again and again. Somehow, I
did take the trouble and used new media. Then today, I wanted to use those
disk, and checked them - different machine! And now the BU is there - all
and everything in it's splendid entireity! So, you can understand - I am
getting out a bottle of something this evening, and it won't be bubbling!

But all is not well, the CD/DVD drives that I had sitting on IDE Channel two
suddenly was reported as 'not compatible with ATAPI', by BIOS when I booted.
I put them on to Channel one, and moved the IDE HD on to Channel two - and
that was allright, but now I am having trouble installing something else
(that 'other' OS).

The shortness of the flatcable is making it difficult to accomodate for
everything - right now I made it work by disconnecting the DVD Rom drive and
having HD and Burner on Channel one together. This is fine too, but I am
clueless about what, except chipset failure, that can keep having the drives
on Channel two as they used to be. (Oh, yes - I did change the cable, I
scrapped one of those nice round things that should help the airflow!)

I have taken the decision to re-install the motherboard drivers - I have
never had to do that before, I think - but who knows in this day and age?

Anyone can think of other possible causes shall be welcome to 'air' them.

Tony. . .

Charlie Russel - MVP

This definitely sounds like hardware, Tony. I'd do the obvious, first. Flash
the BIOS with an updated one. Replace and reseat all the cables. Run a
memory test, though I doubt it's that. But certainly I'd reseat the DIMMs.
Remove any non-critical cards from the backplane.

There are known issues with Kodak software and CD/DVD drives in x64, as you
know, but it sounds to me like you're well before anything like that.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
news:%23wetMa$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello!
>
> I have been plagued by numerous problems with my otherwise so wonderfully
> stable x64 machine. It's been one thing after the other, and it all
> started
> with the dreadfull NEWDOTNET malware attack of almost six month's ago.
>
> Just now, I found out I'm a reasonably happy man!
>
> Here's why - following the removal of that destructive piece of (you know
> what) I took down the system completely. Backed up everything that was
> valuable, using Nero 7 Premium, from the 'other' partition of my
> dual-boot.
> I re-installed from scratch and attempted to restore the BU. The BU, I had
> done using the 'Verification' routine in Nero, mostly since Nero was
> completely new, it was the first serious job, and I wanted to be sure that
> didn't do anything stupid. Verification completed and all was honkey
> dorey.
> To my utter dismay and horror, when restoring, Nero asks me to insert the
> labeled disk, it doesn't recognize it, there is nothing on it! Same with
> the
> other two disks - 13GB +.
>
> Over the days, I slowly adjusted to the thought of having to start all
> over.
> I very nearly even used those three disks for something else - why not?
> They
> were completely empty, which I verified myself again and again. Somehow, I
> did take the trouble and used new media. Then today, I wanted to use those
> disk, and checked them - different machine! And now the BU is there - all
> and everything in it's splendid entireity! So, you can understand - I am
> getting out a bottle of something this evening, and it won't be bubbling!
>
> But all is not well, the CD/DVD drives that I had sitting on IDE Channel
> two
> suddenly was reported as 'not compatible with ATAPI', by BIOS when I
> booted.
> I put them on to Channel one, and moved the IDE HD on to Channel two - and
> that was allright, but now I am having trouble installing something else
> (that 'other' OS).
>
> The shortness of the flatcable is making it difficult to accomodate for
> everything - right now I made it work by disconnecting the DVD Rom drive
> and
> having HD and Burner on Channel one together. This is fine too, but I am
> clueless about what, except chipset failure, that can keep having the
> drives
> on Channel two as they used to be. (Oh, yes - I did change the cable, I
> scrapped one of those nice round things that should help the airflow!)
>
> I have taken the decision to re-install the motherboard drivers - I have
> never had to do that before, I think - but who knows in this day and age?
>
> Anyone can think of other possible causes shall be welcome to 'air' them.
>

> Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

Yes, good thinkin', Charlie!

It suddenly struck me while reading this, do you think it could be the
battery? I've had this machine for just under two years, that means the
different parts probably is over 2 years old. A bit early perhaps, but well
worth considering, I assume.

Re-seating of stuff has commenced. I flashed the BIOS not so long ago, and
it was quite successful, still an option my instinct may have me do that
later in the process.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> > that was allright, but now I am having trouble installing something else
> > (that 'other' OS).
> >
> > The shortness of the flatcable is making it difficult to accomodate for
> > everything - right now I made it work by disconnecting the DVD Rom drive
> > and
> > having HD and Burner on Channel one together. This is fine too, but I am
> > clueless about what, except chipset failure, that can keep having the
> > drives
> > on Channel two as they used to be. (Oh, yes - I did change the cable, I
> > scrapped one of those nice round things that should help the airflow!)
> >
> > I have taken the decision to re-install the motherboard drivers - I have
> > never had to do that before, I think - but who knows in this day and

age?

> > Anyone can think of other possible causes shall be welcome to 'air'

Charlie Russel - MVP

Well, a flakey battery is a possibility, I suppose, but I'd expect a clear
message if that were it. And your entire BIOS reset to default.

--
> [...]

>> > The shortness of the flatcable is making it difficult to accomodate for
>> > everything - right now I made it work by disconnecting the DVD Rom
>> > drive
>> > and
>> > having HD and Burner on Channel one together. This is fine too, but I
>> > am
>> > clueless about what, except chipset failure, that can keep having the
>> > drives
>> > on Channel two as they used to be. (Oh, yes - I did change the cable, I
>> > scrapped one of those nice round things that should help the airflow!)
>> >
>> > I have taken the decision to re-install the motherboard drivers - I
>> > have
>> > never had to do that before, I think - but who knows in this day and

> age?
>> >
>> > Anyone can think of other possible causes shall be welcome to 'air'

Tony Sperling

True, I'd suspect. These quicksilver jobs don't level off, they just die,
don't they?

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, a flakey battery is a possibility, I suppose, but I'd expect a clear
> message if that were it. And your entire BIOS reset to default.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Yes, good thinkin', Charlie!
> >
> > It suddenly struck me while reading this, do you think it could be the
> > battery? I've had this machine for just under two years, that means the
> > different parts probably is over 2 years old. A bit early perhaps, but
> > well
> > worth considering, I assume.
> >
> > Re-seating of stuff has commenced. I flashed the BIOS not so long ago,

and
> > it was quite successful, still an option my instinct may have me do that
> > later in the process.
> >

> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message