Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Slow zip file extraction

Slow zip file extraction

Carl Rash

I downloaded mysql server 5.0 in a winzip format. I wanted to extract it to
c:. I right click on the zip file and click extract all. Initially windows
shows 39 minutes to extract 130 MBof data. In reality it took around 5
minutes. I downloaded the file in less than 2 minutes. Whats going on? Every
thing else I do with Vista is very responsive.

Windows Vista RC1
Athlon64 3800+ (2.4GHz) on ASUS A8R-MVP, 1 GB DDR400, ATI 1600XT graphics
card.

miso@sushi.com

Carl Rash wrote:
> I downloaded mysql server 5.0 in a winzip format. I wanted to extract it to
> c:. I right click on the zip file and click extract all. Initially windows
> shows 39 minutes to extract 130 MBof data. In reality it took around 5
> minutes. I downloaded the file in less than 2 minutes. Whats going on? Every
> thing else I do with Vista is very responsive.
>
> Windows Vista RC1
> Athlon64 3800+ (2.4GHz) on ASUS A8R-MVP, 1 GB DDR400, ATI 1600XT graphics
> card.

Give 7-zip a try and please report the results.

Do you have enough space on the disk? Is it defragged?

chinga69

i am seeing the same problem with zip files plenty of hard drive fre

--
chinga6

cheers chinga6
chinga69's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=32
View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4486

Carl Rash

Go 7-Zip ... 1 minute 15 seconds, much much better

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Carl Rash wrote:
>> I downloaded mysql server 5.0 in a winzip format. I wanted to extract it
>> c:. I right click on the zip file and click extract all. Initially
>> windows
>> shows 39 minutes to extract 130 MBof data. In reality it took around 5
>> minutes. I downloaded the file in less than 2 minutes. Whats going on?
>> Every
>> thing else I do with Vista is very responsive.
>>
>> Windows Vista RC1
>> Athlon64 3800+ (2.4GHz) on ASUS A8R-MVP, 1 GB DDR400, ATI 1600XT graphics
>> card.

> Give 7-zip a try and please report the results.
>
> Do you have enough space on the disk? Is it defragged?

=?Utf-8?B?S2VpdGg=?=

I was having the same problem with Vista RC2 x86.

Just right-clicking on a zip file would nearly lock up my computer for ages.

Then I temporarily disabled CA Anti-Virus and the problem went away! Zip
files were nice and fast.

Hope this helps!

Keith